General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you ride with an IPOD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 02:43 PM
XL Junkie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many of you ride with an IPOD?

Last year I rode with the iPod all the time. This year I haven't taken it out once. I enjoy both rockin out to some tunes while cruising or enjoying the sounds of the bike and the road. With the ear plugs in I can still hear whats going on around me, but you do have to crank it up.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:39 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of earphones do y'all use? If I use the standard earphones I have to turn up the music so loud to be heard over the wind that I am afraid it is damaging my hearing. I love listening to the tunes. I just don't like listening to ringing in my ears in three different pitches after a ride. [:@]

Old 06-03-2006, 06:12 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a mini-disc player, with either ear buds or full sized headphone with ear pieces that wrap over my ears. As for the wind noise---I put the headphones on, then wrap a bandana over my ears and secure under my half helmet. No problems hearing music.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:48 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ipod Nano in a case with a belt clip. I clip it to the pocket pouch on my tank. I use it with earphones with the hooks that go over your ears with and without a helmet. Of course, I keep it turned low enough that I can hear what's going on around me. Absolutely love it.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Ipod shuffle and it works great! I use the Koss foam earplug speaker headphones. Get them at Circuit City for $20.00. They are like foam ear plugs with built in speakers and they sound great! Just squeeze them and insert into ears. (be sure to insert them properly, ie, pull down on lower part of ear while inserting them.) Have to turn up the volume with shorty helmet, but you can still hear pipes and background noise. I haven't tried them with full face yet. You can also find them at http://www.aerostich.com

Old 06-04-2006, 12:14 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a Creative Digital Player. It isn't an iPod but stores about 40 songs in the Windows Media Player format. I plug it into the Ultra's radio and listen through helmet speakers. It is the best fidelity of anything I hear through the radio system and I can develop my own playlists easily. I have about $30 invested.

Old 06-04-2006, 01:57 AM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't use anything...just me, I'm surrounded by technology on a daily basis, but when I get out to ride I just want to listen to my bike and whatever my surroundings are. I don't want music...in fact I'm happy getting away from everything and being able to hear my thoughts again.

Not saying it's bed, my dad has an mp3 player in his pocket when he jumps on his wide glide...I just can't stand it.

Old 06-04-2006, 01:57 PM
rlmcruiser
Advanced

ORIGINAL: dadofsix

What type of earphones do y'all use? If I use the standard earphones I have to turn up the music so loud to be heard over the wind that I am afraid it is damaging my hearing. I love listening to the tunes. I just don't like listening to ringing in my ears in three different pitches after a ride. [:@]
I use these..... Etymotic ER-4P
I wear use them with my full faced helmet. They are a little pricey though. $250 (Got them as a gift) I use them on the bike and traveling. They cut out a lot of excess noise so you don't have to turn the volume up so loud.

But I did buy these for the wife....Etymotic ER-6i, $109. They're made specifically for the iPod. And they sound almost as good as mine. Better deal for the price.

Both of these are In-Ear-Monitor style headphones. These headphones are very small and inserted into the ear, but they are nothing like earbuds. They provide the best seal from outside sound of any headphone, often in excess of 20 dB of isolation. They're just like the foam/rubber earplugs but with tiny speakers in them. American made also.

I get them from http://www.headphone.com/ A company I recommend highly. They have a return policy that I have used successfully but you must follow the guidelines. That way if you find them uncomfortable, return them for a full refund.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:01 PM
PoleCat
Road Captain

No IPOD yet.

I have the HK stereo on my SG. The other day I turned it on while riding and I had to crank it almost all the way up to hear it over the wind in my ears.

I probably won't get a lot of use out of the stereo. At least not until I get a taller windshield. (If I do at all)

Old 06-05-2006, 01:04 AM
Rubberduck
Cruiser

I just started to use my iPOD shuffle with the "stock" ear buds and foam pads under my helmet (HJC open face). I really like it. Works great...plus I can still hear what's going on around me. I was thinking about installing the Harley radio on my Road King...not anymore. The iPOD works great and fills the music need I wanted while riding.

Quick Reply: How many of you ride with an IPOD?