General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I do with this Dyna Glide Frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009 | 10:05 PM
srl520
|
Stage IV
Default What do I do with this Dyna Glide Frame

I acquired a Dyna Glide Frame at a storage auction. I have tried listing it for sale, but of course, without a title, no interests.
I do not have an itemized sales receipt that show this frame was part of the sale. I have a receipt that just shows that I purchased all the contents in the unit. The Frame was buried under many boxes. Did not know it was in the unit until I cleaned it out.

I have run the S# with the PD and it comes back to never being listed stolen.

I called DMV to apply for a title. They tell me the bike has to be complete and road worthy and pass inspection in order to title.

What can I do short of making it scrap?

Or are there maybe any interests here?

Thanks

Old 08-15-2009 | 11:16 PM
Coolbreeze
Road Master
Default Well.....

You do have to have a complete road worthy bike for the DMV to give you a title for it. You already have a frame that is "NOT STOLEN" Just find yourself a few parts that you can throw a bike together with quickly, title it, part it back out, then you can sell the frame. Of course, you could just send it my way, I know exactly what to do with it!

Old 08-15-2009 | 11:35 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Try going to the Highway Patrol and inquire about a special construction tag.

Old 08-16-2009 | 12:57 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

If it was a softail frame made for a "B" model engine, I would be interested.

Old 08-16-2009 | 01:53 AM
Juno
Banned

Get to work building something.

Old 08-16-2009 | 07:02 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like a project bike to me. Get some wheels first.

Old 08-16-2009 | 07:05 AM
Mk1Racer
Road Master

Plenty of good stuff listed in the classified section. If not, send it to me, I'll take care of it for you.

Old 08-16-2009 | 07:46 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

If you are mechanically inclined,you will never find a better time to build a bike from scratch having the internet.My last 3 RK's were built using parts from the net,saving me thousands of dollars.The end result is the joy of putting it all together,and having a machine you built with your own two hands.A lot of states have the same hoops to jump through to get a VIN number.In your case if your not into building a bike sell it!Good Luck

Old 08-17-2009 | 08:57 AM
srl520
|
Stage IV

Thanks for the response.

I am not interested in putting the bike together. I am wanting to just sell it for fare price.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2009 | 04:05 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member

I would suggest that you speak to someone higher in the food chain at your dmv.
You should be able to file a lost instrument bond an get them to generate a title on the frame, if the frame is the titled part in your state.
Most DMV clerks are both arrogant and ignorant of any but the most basic procedures. I have had to get their procedure manuals and manually walk them through the process, step by step. I have been through this before and was able to get a title on an incomplete bike. I can understand their refusal to register the frame but there is no reason to refuse to generate a title for it. I was once told that I could not transfer a title if I did not register it at the same time.
I think you have to fail an IQ test , if that is possible, in order to work at DMV.

Quick Reply: What do I do with this Dyna Glide Frame