General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety vs. the “cool factor”

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Safety vs. the “cool factor”

I’m curious if any of you that owned bikes other than HD used to wear safety gear (helmet, jacket etc) then stopped when you got a Harley.

I was out to dinner with some friends earlier this week and we ate at a restaurant that is frequented by a lot of riders. When we arrived there were some metric bikes in the parking lot. Most of the bikes had full-face helmets next to them. We sat on the outside deck next to these guys and they all had textile jackets and other safety gear. Half way through dinner a couple of Harleys pulled in. The guys were in t-shirts and were not wearing helmets. My friend’s wife asked why so many Harley riders don’t wear helmets etc while riders of other brands do. I didn’t have an answer other than it’s their choice. She then said “they probably don’t wear that stuff so they look cool”.

A guy I know recently sold his V-Star and bought a Harley. He used to wear a helmet, jacket etc all the time. Now that he has a Harley he never wears them.

Do you think some people forego the safety gear solely because they ride a Harley and want to look cool? Personally I don’t care what people do or don’t wear because it’s personal preference. I just found it interesting that a non-rider thinks HD owners don’t wear safely gear just to look cool. I’m sure there are a lot of other people that think the same thing.

I’m not looking for a “what do you care what people wear” response because I don’t care what people do or don’t wear. I’m just curious if you agree or disagree that some HD riders skip wearing safety gear just so they look cool or look like a bad-*** biker.

Personally I think there are more posers that ride HD’s then any other brand. I do agree with my friend’s wife that some riders forego the safety gear just to look cool. Granted, I realize that numerous riders don’t wear a helmet or safety gear for reasons that have nothing to do with how they look, but I’m sure there are quite a few that try to fit into the bad-*** HD biker persona by skipping the safety gear. Agree/Disagree?

Old 08-14-2009, 09:50 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I stopped wearing a helmut way back when they made it optional in Ohio, before I could afford my first Harley. I think you have it wrong on who is trying to look cool. Most of us who have been riding for 30 plus years don't give a rats *** if we look cool to you or any one else. I feel the ones trying to look cool are all of the kids in their funny little costumes like they think they are some kind of super hero. And no you will never be cool.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:59 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The only time I wore any "safety gear" other than a helmet was when racing motocross. The rest of the time was leather jacket when cold, or in hot weather, jeans and a t-shirt.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

When I was young and dumb, 16 on a POS used Yamaha in Texas, I didn't wear any gear. After the helmet law was passed, I wore a helmet. After I joined the Corps, I wore the gear they required which most of the time I needed anyway due to the weather in Virginia.

Now that I'm a civie again, I'm so used to wearing the gear that I continue. I live in Florida now and I wear a helmet, textile mesh jacket and sometimes textile pants. I rarely wear my leather except in the winter (if you can call a Florida winter, winter). Of course now I'm older, wiser and have two sons who I want to see grow up while not giving up my riding.

There are those who dress for the ride and those that dress for the fall. Of course, peer pressure does play a role. Did you ever stop to consider that those metric riders wear all of their gear all the time because all of their riding buddies do as well? Peer pressure works both ways.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:00 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Disagree.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

To a limited extent it's also what you ride - (or the same mechanism in reverse...)

My son's and their friends all ride sport bikes.

(They laugh at my Road King....)

There are about 12 of them, so I think its a representative sample of young sport bike riders. To a kid, they ALL wear full-face helmets. I suggested that they may want to consider a half-helmet once. I got all these scornful looks They were like: "Dad, we'd look weird crouching over a GSXR in a half-helmet".

They also wear the Joe Rocket textile mesh jackets and decent gloves and boots, though, so they do have an appreciation for safety gear.

I'm sure, however, that for some riders what they wear is at least influenced by what they ride....

YMMV

Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh my. I posted just this sort of thread and title back when I was a noob and still wore ATGATT. Sure, for some it is fashion depending upon what brand you ride. Some people opt out of the protective gear because it does look cooler. In the summer I opt out of it more because all that stuff is hot to me. It's really all about personal comfort level and individuality. Wear what the hell you want and don't worry about what someone else is doing. Let go of peer pressure and the herd mentality and just do what makes you happpy and most comfortable. For some people that's going to be a tank top and do-rag; for others, that's going to be their jacket and helmet and whatever at all times because that makes them feel more secure and comfortable, and therefore happier.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 AM
cadman311
Club Member

I like wearing the kevlar pants and kevlar jean jacket. It's the state law here about helmets.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:10 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool? Aw hell no. Beside I'm too old to worry about looking cool. Comfort is what it's all about. I refuse to wear the "power ranger garb" because it is uncomfortable. Period.

I will not suffer years of discomfort because I might go down and I might have some road rash. Yes, I've had it before. Takes a couple of "uncomfortable" weeks to heal vs years of uncomfortable (read-less enjoyable) riding. I'll take my chances.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:10 AM
yoseppi
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know lots of people that used to dress in full gear on their metrics, and once they went to Harley they were too cool for any safety gear.

The OP comments pretty much nailed it down for lots of the newer "poser" riders.

The oldheads I'm sure could give a **** less.

Quick Reply: Safety vs. the “cool factor”