General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems i had at sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:15 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Phrogman
What he said! Yep, +1. Just think, now you have memories to tell around the campfire next year!
Yea but who wants to tell or listen to stories about a trailer around a campfire?

Old 08-14-2009, 02:10 PM
aimhard
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No disasters, many lessons learned, I'd say a good vacation.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll have to agree witht he poster who asked if you noticed the trailer before the ride. Thin OSB will not hold a big bike. It's glued together. Did you not think it might rain during your trip? After being exposed to water, it gets weaker. You could have rented a UHaul trailer and had better luck. Like one poster also said, double straps are cheap insurance. You had some great folks help you out. But pulling a POS trailer, you were lucky you didn't kill some innocent person and or destroy your bike.

Sometimes life's little lessons are hard. Since your wife can't ride distance, if you're going to a rally, spend some bucks and get a good trailer, a good chock and some ties and extra ties.

JMHO

Bubba

Old 08-14-2009, 02:48 PM
will227457
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why why why would you use such a crappy little trailer and think everything is going to be OK? really u put a 20k plus bike on a homemade trailer? made by an unemployeed inlaw?

whould you like some cheese with your whine?

I don't mean to be an A__H___ about it but there will be no violin playin from me

Old 08-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

One trip you'll never forget!

Old 08-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I am sure that none of this is the least bit funny to you right now but it reminded me of the time I borrowed my ex-brother in-law's trailer. I needed to tow a car and he said he had a great trailer that I could borrow that ended up being a very similar story. I had a good laugh reading your story. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with ya.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:54 PM
ron bayless
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I was pretty dumb allright.I did not know you could fly into rapid city.I can say until one day before going i had not found a trailer and was afraid of not even being to take my bike.Yep i sure should have fixed it before i pulled it.I wont make that mistake again.I told the hardware store man God took care of me on that one,glad Ididnt hurt anyone by a bike falling off the trailer.I looked at the street sign so I could remember it and it was Christian street.Isaid Lord I sure dont pay attention to you but I am glad you paid attention to me.I am also buying a trailer in a bag.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:56 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

why would you pull a HD on a home made trailer. there are plenty of good trailers specific for bikes. And it seemed like you knew you were already up a creak with out a paddle if it was a two man job.

I would have left the piece of crap trailer and rode and just have my wife follow in the rig.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:55 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like the makin's of another Wild Hogs movie.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:15 PM
TopStewart
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did my dad always say to us after we did a half-a$$ed job when we were young.....oh yeah. "If you want it done right, gotta do it yourself". Or maybe it was, "Do it right or don't do it at all". Yeah, that was it.

I don't really think the in-law is at any fault man........he uses that thing to pull a lawnmower around town. You borrowed it to pull an 800+lb bike from TX to South Dakota.

But at least you didn't get hurt or damage your bike.

Live and learn. Next time ride it like its meant to be.

Last edited by TopStewart; 08-14-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: problems i had at sturgis