General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stopping with passenger...different or same?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:08 AM
yankeeflyer72
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lock up the rear brake, skid sideways, and come to a screechin' halt. I figure if she is still on after this, she`s probably good to go for whatever.....

Old 08-14-2009, 01:27 AM
Coolbreeze
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ?

Originally Posted by yankeeflyer72
I lock up the rear brake, skid sideways, and come to a screechin' halt. I figure if she is still on after this, she`s probably good to go for whatever.....
You dont rub the kitty? LOL!!!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:55 AM
Monochrome
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never really thought about it, but I just do the same thing as when I am solo just applying a little more brake because of the added weight. I am also more likely to put both feet down in case my princess moves and i drop her, that would make her very pissed Oh and I would not stop asking questions cos some people get cute its an internet forum

Old 08-14-2009, 04:58 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

I use both brakes to stop. I never put my feet down. My wife and I like to see which side we will fall to at every stop.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:06 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At the risk of give serious advice: stop a little more quickly/firmly and keep your eyes on the horizon. This will help you stay smooth when stopping 2-up.

But yes, you must rub the kitty.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 AM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by streetg7
I usually slow with both brakes, then extend legs, come to a stop using the front brake. Is this the right way to stop?
Here is your feedback. You should be using both brakes to stop. As you come to a complete stop you should be letting off the front brake and standing more on the rear brake. At complete stop you drop your left foot only until ready to proceed, holding with the rear brake.
Extending your legs while still rolling and using the front brake to stop is a recipe for disaster. Any turn of the bars and you are asking to go down. Try it the way I suggest. and yes keep your eyes up and forward and with a passenger make the stops a little more "positive" at the end.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:04 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it is a good question..... even with all the miles behind me, I've never had a passenger. now, that's changed.... I found someone crazy enough to get on.....

Old 08-14-2009, 10:28 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I brake like you described. Watch the road where the front tire will be. I am almost stopped when I put my feet down. Front brake just finishes off the roll and holds me at the light. Too much front brake or too loose a grip--you could end up with flop or slide. Braking distance is in relationship to the ***** on board and size. The boob driving and the boobies riding can increase stopping distance directly to their weight. The first thing I tell someone that is riding behind me is stay still when I am stopping or starting.
What do the rest of you do when riding with a passenger on board? I usually slow with both brakes, then extend legs, come to a stop using the front brake. Is this the right way to stop? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Last edited by oldairboater; 08-14-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:12 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile Come on back street g7 you are missing it

Streetg7 no need to stop asking questions you might have. Typically you get a mix of answers, right, wrong, unrelated, opinionated, factual, no right or wrong, ride your own ride,
humorous and insightful ( all mine fit in that category ).

The point to keep in mind has been a discussion ( don't ask ) in the political and open forum here...inertia. Newton said stuff in motion tend to stay in motion, so I imagine you should brake the recommended ways and understand the bike will not stop as well with the additional weight...all should then seem pretty normal...until she leans way over to look at her new shoes just as you stop.

As a side note..in some states there is sometimes an obscure law that requires BOTH feet to be on the ground to be considered a stop and not a pause. You have to be really trolling for tickets to get busted on that I imagine.

Ride safe...keep asking and enjoy both the ride and the diversity of the answers you get.

John

Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What do the rest of you do when riding with a passenger on board? I usually slow with both brakes, then extend legs, come to a stop using the front brake. Is this the right way to stop? Any feedback would be appreciated!
Don't use the front brake when almost stopped. Always the rear for the last few feet. Then do wtf you want with the front. Sooner or later you'll run into a needed fork correction to stay balanced and that's when you'll get up close and personal with the pavement using the front brake.
Ron

Quick Reply: stopping with passenger...different or same?