General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:52 PM
phm6660
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding in the rain

heres the story alittle nicer than last time traveling to sturgis (850 miles half in the rain) we came acrost many bikes under over passes especially a strech from rapid city to sturgis many totaling 20 but maybe 40-50 bikes gathered around the overpasses some barely off the road.i think that you are nuts to stop on the side of the interstate and cause a more dangerous situation for the rest left on the road trying to battle through it as well as yoursevles. I was wound up when posting the original thread and still am alittle but i am currently valuing all oppinions on this subject. All I am asking is find a ramp and get off! Also if your a state patrol officer take note next and write some tickets or better yet call a tow truck for them as they must be broken down as the interstate as far a i am aware is emergency stopping only. sure that this may shed some new interest on the topic.
thanks
first things first please keep this clean not ment to taunt or bash any riders what so ever but i feel that it is a good debate reguarding people who stop under bridges on the side of the interstates that was shut down by the administrator earlier today titled "idiots in the rain". if allowed i would like to continue so please no trash talking lets have a decent conversation and if the post gets scraped due to others i will just stop posting period.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:05 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

for me if I feel it is unsafe for me to continue to the next off ramp ie fogged up glasses/face shield/low visibility what ever yep that would qualify as an emergency situation ............I will stop at an overpass...

Old 08-13-2009, 05:11 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

There is NEVER a overpass around when I need one!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Freebee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of our overpass's here in the Houston area have refreshments as well as interesting inhabitants to keep you company while you wait it out. Many have the equippment available to clean your windshield before you depart.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Ogre3239
Tourer

Originally Posted by teamstersteward
for me if I feel it is unsafe for me to continue to the next off ramp ie fogged up glasses/face shield/low visibility what ever yep that would qualify as an emergency situation ............I will stop at an overpass...
+1, I agree

Old 08-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Monochrome
Road Captain

Originally Posted by will2002
There is NEVER a overpass around when I need one!
then you Sir need to start carrying an umbrella

Old 08-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

You mention cops handing out tickets. This is such a minor infraction, I doubt any cop would bother. I usually ride through but I don't do much real highway driving. If I am on highway and decide to stop, of course a ramp exit is the best choice but would not hessitate to stop at an overpass if I didn't know how far the next exit was.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Heritage123
Cruiser

I rode in heavy rain several times while tripping through the Upper Penn last week. The roads we were on had no overpasses, but if I had come across one I would have gladly stopped for some relief. It is dangerous to ride with fogged up glasses in a long term down pour, and sometimes you just gotta stop. On the backroads we pulled over in church lots, under gas station canopies, anywhere to get a little relief...

Old 08-13-2009, 09:31 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Freebee
Most of our overpass's here in the Houston area have refreshments as well as interesting inhabitants to keep you company while you wait it out. Many have the equippment available to clean your windshield before you depart.

But have you actually tried the wine?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:39 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you F---ing serious? You'd rather keep riding, depending on the situation, (can't see glasses/goggles fogging up, rain coming down so hard you can't see in front of you?) Risk you life rather than pull over under an overpass...... WOW!!!

Quick Reply: riding in the rain