General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Trikes Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:49 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My trike is a MOTORCYCLE and that’s all that important to me!

Someone suggested that they would rather have a convertible car than a trike; I have two cars that are convertibles and its fun to put down the top but it’s just not the same as riding my trike! This is one of those things that…if I have to explain it to you…you will probably never understand!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:11 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

What's rounder an orange! There is never a lack of things to compare opinions.Simple answer is: A Trike is a Trike, not a Bike,a Trike is a Bike only when you register it.Have to say a Trike is as close as you will get to being on a Bike when it comes to being in the wind.One of my best friends just switched over to a Trike because of Parkinsons disease.As long as he keeps looking straight ahead he is on a Bike!! So there my .02!

Old 08-16-2009, 12:17 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my Spyder (reverse trike) because it is fun to ride. There are many times I even PREFER it to riding my Harley. Imagine that! Freedom to choose is just a wonderful thing...

I also have a convertible sports car and to compare it to riding the Spyder is just ridiculous. Kinda like saying driving a convertible sports car is like driving a pickup with the "dem winders" rolled down...

Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 AM
mike@nhca.us
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to agree that a rider is a rider,
...and we wave to the rider, not to a vehicle.

For those with no humor, I added the "wicked old or injured" as a tongue-in-cheek comment. The question was started following discussions with an older friend and an older club brother, both of whom were considering trikes because they are hurting and risk further back injuries, after a hard life of living and riding, if they ride a regular motorcycle (or even a side-car rigged bike).

Next time, I will be 3x more sensitive, promise (I am joking again).

Mike

Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

Originally Posted by travroc
pffft.......I'd only have a Schwinn in my garage. Huffy's are for posers.
I ate Schwinn's and Huffy's for lunch!

Attachment 80477
1971 Sears Screamer 1

That's right Nancy boy, those are real pennies in those loafers.

Last edited by Sweetbaboo; 11-09-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

[quote=mike@nhca.us;5423728]I am not necessarily opposed to them, and I understand that when you get wicked old or injured that it might be better than a car, BUT are trikes motorcycles?
Yes Virginia, they are motorcycles.

I would think I would but a nice sidecar rig first ... and I know that a sidecar rigged bike is still a bike.
When I reach the point where I need another wheel on the ground, I'll buy a sidecar; I'm very old school, and proud of it.

But, dont hurt me, I dont think a trike is a bike.
Bike, trike, schmike, I don't care. I'm going to ride as long as I can. It won't matter what people call it, how many wheels it has, and where the wheels are positioned; I just won't care. The only thing that will matter is that I'm still in the wind; some way; some how. To the bitter end baby!