General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Trikes Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:08 AM
trslim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by travroc
Bi = 2
Tri = 3

so no, trikes aren't bikes.
it's just that simple

Old 08-15-2009, 10:10 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by travroc
Bi = 2
Tri = 3

so no, trikes aren't bikes.
That is the answer, right there.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:11 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

No. It's a trike not a bike.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Badasstrike
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
In winter I ski. Lots. And I work as a ski instructor (PSIA L II, also adaptive certified). I work with many skiers with a variety of disabilities who have to use a wide range of adaptive equipment: sit-skis, outriggers, bi-skis, etc. These guys can *shred* and do some amazing things on snow. Their stories of how they got their disability are tragic, but their lives aren't. These guys are out there, doing it. They are skiers. No question.

But the kind of skiing they do cannot be compared to the traditional kind, and they would be the first to admit it. It takes a different technique, different equipment, different physics in the turn, etc., etc. etc. That's why they have different races for skiers with disabilities.

I hope no one tries to classify the rider as something less, just like on the mountain we don't classify skiers with disabilities as non-skiers.

But we do recognize that the skiing they do is not the same. It is so different, in fact, it has its own Olympic category.

A trike is a trike, not a bike. But the rider is still a rider.
Ditto on what you said. Thank you

Old 08-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But it is a MOTORCYCLE the person riding it is a rider just like any other riding a motorcycle. Thats the real answer whether you like it or not.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master

Originally Posted by faber

A trike is a trike, not a bike. But the rider is still a rider.

I'll bet if we posted the question about the rider being a rider, the discussion would go about the same way as this one has. The guys who have tunnel vision would say that if you aren't on two wheels you aren't a rider. Others would say if you start your bike with a button, you aren't a rider, and so on and so on....

My friend's bike was able to have the "trike" part taken off pretty quickly, converting it back into what we have come to know as a "motorcycle." We told him he had training wheels, but never referred to his bike as a "trike." It was an FXD with two wheels added to it. His actually had four wheels, with the conversion in place, technically making it a car. This should really confuse the purists among us who count the number of wheels as the only indicator as to what the vehicle actually "is".

Old 08-15-2009, 02:25 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by mike@nhca.us
I am not necessarily opposed to them, and I understand that when you get wicked old or injured that it might be better than a car, BUT are trikes motorcycles?

I would think I would but a nice sidecar rig first ... and I know that a sidecar rigged bike is still a bike.

But, dont hurt me, I dont think a trike is a bike.

Mike
Not in my opinion. Apples and Oranges. At least a "Bike" with training wheels is still a "Bike".

Last edited by SamStone; 08-15-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:33 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

State law requires you to have a motorcycle DL. I think they are great for people who wish they could ride a 2 wheeler and cant. There is a guy around here that has one. He only has one arm. Think of the Vets who wouldnt be able to ride a two wheeler, but are able to ride a trike. It may be for one person but not the next. If we all did the same things, it would be a pretty boring world.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:06 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
My Trike may not be a bike, but my Trike is a HARLEY!! Last I looked, Harley doesn't make convertables! And this IS a Harley Davidson forum.
You might want to look again, Harley does make a convertible, the 2010 CVO Softail Convertible to be exact.

Edit: I didn't see Mr. Wizard's post before I posted this.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:21 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by schumacher
how do you know the light in the fridge stays out?
It stays out!?!

It was ON when I closed the door!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Are Trikes Bikes?