General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Trikes Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:17 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a person has one eyeball in the middle of his head, he is called a Cyclop. Most of us have 2 eyeballs...should'nt we be called some other kind of Clop? ...Are we Byclops?
Hmmmm...

Old 08-14-2009, 09:24 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
if a trike was a bike, it would be called a bike
Exactly, they're trikes.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:30 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Technical/legal definitions aside.....

A trike doesn't ride like a bike and it doesn't handle like a bike, cuz it ain't a bike.

It is what it is.

So what?

Old 08-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Glyder
Road Captain

Originally Posted by faber
Technical/legal definitions aside.....

A trike doesn't ride like a bike and it doesn't handle like a bike, cuz it ain't a bike.

It is what it is.

So what?
I think youre wrong. Sure its not a bike....its a trike...but...As I said I have both...an 07 EG Classic and an 09 TriGlide. When Im going straight down the road and looking ahead and just enjoyin the ride its sorta hard to tell by feel which bike Im on. I mean I know which bike Im on...point is until I gotta turn it it feels just like Im ridin down the road on the Classic. Until you gotta make an adjustment in direction they ride the same. Looking forward you dont see the rear end and cant tell its there. Anyway ......just my opinion.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:42 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyder
I think youre wrong. Sure its not a bike....its a trike...but...As I said I have both...an 07 EG Classic and an 09 TriGlide. When Im going straight down the road and looking ahead and just enjoyin the ride its sorta hard to tell by feel which bike Im on. I mean I know which bike Im on...point is until I gotta turn it it feels just like Im ridin down the road on the Classic. Until you gotta make an adjustment in direction they ride the same. Looking forward you dont see the rear end and cant tell its there. Anyway ......just my opinion.
Yea I see what you mean. Sometimes when I drive my wife's car with the sunroof and I lean back and look straight up out of it, I feel like I'm in the space shuttle at launch. I guess my wife's car is just like the space shuttle.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 08-15-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:07 AM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See what happens with this obsession to classify everything and then getting confused when something different comes along.

Things are what they are and that's it.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:29 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

My Trike may not be a bike, but my Trike is a HARLEY!! Last I looked, Harley doesn't make convertables! And this IS a Harley Davidson forum.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:49 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I believe most everyone that has posted agrees that a trike is a trike even if it was a bike first which most were until the TG's came along. It doesn't matter if it has 2 or 10 wheels it could still be called a motorcycle and once a Harley always a Harley.

Before someone else posts this, here's a Harley convertible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en7smCvUDkc

Old 08-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend had half his leg taken off by a drunk driver. He converted his FXD into a "trike" so he could still ride. I don't care what you call them, but he is still a rider, and THAT to me is all that counts. I find it fascinating that any "real" biker (however you define them) would find it necessary or worthwhile (by posing such a question in the first place) to make sure that a guy on three wheels doesn't try to act like a "real" biker by calling his rig a motorcycle.

My friend had an FXD which was smashed to hell by a drunk driver, and he had it repaired, and modified so he could get back out there and do what he loved to do. Say what you want about two wheels versus three, just don't say it to him. Even with 1 and an half legs, he is still pretty badass.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:59 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brackneyc
My friend had half his leg taken off by a drunk driver. He converted his FXD into a "trike" so he could still ride. I don't care what you call them, but he is still a rider, and THAT to me is all that counts. I find it fascinating that any "real" biker (however you define them) would find it necessary or worthwhile (by posing such a question in the first place) to make sure that a guy on three wheels doesn't try to act like a "real" biker by calling his rig a motorcycle.

My friend had an FXD which was smashed to hell by a drunk driver, and he had it repaired, and modified so he could get back out there and do what he loved to do. Say what you want about two wheels versus three, just don't say it to him. Even with 1 and an half legs, he is still pretty badass.
In winter I ski. Lots. And I work as a ski instructor (PSIA L II, also adaptive certified). I work with many skiers with a variety of disabilities who have to use a wide range of adaptive equipment: sit-skis, outriggers, bi-skis, etc. These guys can *shred* and do some amazing things on snow. Their stories of how they got their disability are tragic, but their lives aren't. These guys are out there, doing it. They are skiers. No question.

But the kind of skiing they do cannot be compared to the traditional kind, and they would be the first to admit it. It takes a different technique, different equipment, different physics in the turn, etc., etc. etc. That's why they have different races for skiers with disabilities.

I hope no one tries to classify the rider as something less, just like on the mountain we don't classify skiers with disabilities as non-skiers.

But we do recognize that the skiing they do is not the same. It is so different, in fact, it has its own Olympic category.

A trike is a trike, not a bike. But the rider is still a rider.

Quick Reply: Are Trikes Bikes?