General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gburke70
I just hate it when anyone tries to use fear to sell their product.
I'll go ahead and give the helmet guys the benefit of the doubt and figure that them saying it should be replaced after one drop is done more for the sake of liability. They have no idea of knowing how far you dropped it, on what side it hit, etc. It's the same thing everyone has to do these days because of frivolous lawsuits. If you don't say on the label that it could be comprimised after a drop and should be replaced, then someone has an accident and happens to get injured because that area of the helmet was comprimised, then they sue the helmet company. By saying you should replace the helmet, they can always point to the "warning label" and say " we told you so".

Old 08-13-2009, 02:04 AM
Spartacus55
Cruiser

Do you like carrying on a normal conveesation then if you drop your helmet replace it. A functioning brain is a hard thing to replace.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:50 AM
qwispichkn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get a big piece of foam and stick it on your head

Old 08-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tralfaz
I'll go ahead and give the helmet guys the benefit of the doubt and figure that them saying it should be replaced after one drop is done more for the sake of liability. They have no idea of knowing how far you dropped it, on what side it hit, etc. It's the same thing everyone has to do these days because of frivolous lawsuits. If you don't say on the label that it could be comprimised after a drop and should be replaced, then someone has an accident and happens to get injured because that area of the helmet was comprimised, then they sue the helmet company. By saying you should replace the helmet, they can always point to the "warning label" and say " we told you so".
I'm with you on that. I can't see any possible way the foam lining could be compromised from a little drop when there was nothing inside the helmet to compress the foam.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:51 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile and yet another OPINION

Uh, I am with NOLAMike when he quotes Snell....repeated dropping ( repeated? ) or impact at highway speed MIGHT compromise the helmet. If you can WALK at highway speeds you probably don't NEED a helmet. The gizmo to indicate damage MAY have occurred is being SOLD and a good sales tool is fear.

Ultimately we have to make our own decisions...my decision is that I have only dropped mine 10-20 times and I don't consider that repeatedly and I never could walk over 4-5 mph. There is room for common sense here too...is it cracked, padding compressed, is "scratch" a gouge?

I have a set of VERY pricey kitchen knives...and German manufacturer ( Shamwow says they make good stuff ) recommends sharpening before each use...right.. I paid $450 for 6 knives and I need to shapen them before each use? They also sell a pricey sharpener. Perhaps a car that had been "keyed" wouldn't pass a crash test.

My DOCTOR does not believe in helmets at all...says you trade death by head injury for death from broken neck. My son who is an X-ray tech with 20 years experience is in favor of helmets since they tend to contain the brain matter that makes a donation to a research facility feasible. Your decision should lie somewhere between these two extremes of replacing a scratched helmet and not wearing one.

My opinion of course. Uh ....that is my disclaimer allowing me to claim that I have no real knowledge at all and my opinion should be disregarded. I use a scratched helmet. John

Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 AM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by psyco1
Thanks for a cool video.!! worth watching

Old 08-13-2009, 09:17 AM
D6CS
Tourer

I have heard that dropping from higher than 24" it should be replaced ... But I think that they are covering their butts ( from a legal stand point) so if it failed they couldn't be sued.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 AM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by D6CS
I have heard that dropping from higher than 24" it should be replaced ... But I think that they are covering their butts ( from a legal stand point) so if it failed they couldn't be sued.
check out the video the Arai representative said the helmet is still good.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 AM
angelis
Cruiser

Helmet is fine, its designed the same as a hard hat, the outer shell is designed to withstand a sudden hard impact. So if the drop wasn't the same as striking it with a hammer at full force, I doubt you damaged it.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lutalivre
I think you may be right on this one. I feel better about my helmet now after reading all of the replies.
I've heard if it was dropped from 4' or higher, so unless you are 9' tall, wear it till you want another.

Quick Reply: Helmet Question