General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Men Just Shouldn't Use Tools (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Men Just Shouldn't Use Tools (long post)

I'm not that handy with tools. I'll just go ahead and admit that right up front. I try, though. I really do. In fact, I'm quite proud of the fact that, other than the 1000mi service, I've done every mod to my Street Bob myself. We're not talking much - mostly bolt on stuff - but it's still rewarding to DIY even though each mod had its own do-over after those wonderful "Sh*t! I should've thought of that ahead of time!" moments that the instructions/manual always seem to assume that you know...but you don't.

So last night, I was all ready to complete my last mod before giving the Visa a break and leaving the bike alone till the 5,000mi service I'm planning on attempting. It was nothing complicated - slapping on a new finned derby cover - but I had two stripped torx bolts to take care of first and I wanted to utilize this new Craftsman Yellow bike lift I recently picked up as well. I had been waiting for my rubber Dyna lift blocks to arrive and they finally did so I was ready to give it a shot. I'd never drilled out a screw before so I was a little nervous, but, determined. But first, I wanted to put the bike on the lift for the first time - even though that really wasn't necessary.

I found the lift already assembled at the local Sears and priced to move since the box had a hole in it. They were selling it at a nice discount. Everything was there except for the instructions, but, it was already assembled so I didn't think that was a big deal. I read up on where to place my lift adapters, placed the jack where I thought it should be and gave it a few pumps while still on the bike. The front wheel is off the ground now. I got down and did a little safety check and decided I wanted to reposition the lift a little better. I gently released the handle and the bike came down nice and slow. I did this a couple of times just to make sure I had it all down. Practice makes perfect. I went to go get the tie downs and decided to reposition it one more time. I release the handle and the lift moves down just an inch or so and stops. Ah...must be the safety lock.

I reach down to unlock it but it won't budge. WTF? I did this several times to no avail. Finally the lever on the lock breaks off from me pulling so hard. I don't really know what to do. I have no one to call on to help me and my 650lbs bike is dangling precariously off the ground (the kickstand got all jumbled up in the mix somehow). I can't roll it, shift it, or otherwise move it. It's stuck. I began to panic.

After about 15 minutes of refusing to touch the bike while in panic mode (I'm at least smart enough to know when to take a break), I managed to tilt the bike enough to the right to get the jiffy stand down. Dangerous manuever, I know. My plan was to wedge a hammer under the safety lock to break it free. The instructions would've come in handy here, I'm thinking. I managed to get the lock one click lower which lowered the lift enough for me to wiggle and squirm the jack out from underneath the bike, if not a bit haphazardly. Still, I really had no other choice that I know of. No apparent damage to the underside of the bike. Whew! Dodged that bullet.

Despite all this, I decided to go ahead and take care of the derby cover/torx bolt thing by just placing a block under the jiffy to level off the bike and going at it. I've used a drill maybe a 1/2 dozen times - usually for curtain rods and usually they fall down. :-) Still, I'm determined to get something right tonight. I read up on how to properly attempt to drill out a stripped bolt a few times so I had a grasp of what to expect - pick a bit slightly larger than the threaded area, keep it lubricated and the head should pop off, leaving the shaft un-torqued for easy removal. Simple enough in theory, although, I had fears of the unknown or more of those "Sh*t!" moments I talked about earlier.

The first of the two bolt heads came off as expected, if not

Old 06-01-2006, 02:06 PM
rap87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Some Men Just Shouldn't Use Tools (long post)

I've gone through a few of those moments myself...I would never attempt a service myself, because just doing some accessory installs can be hell, lol. Good luck

Old 06-01-2006, 02:15 PM
IndyRider
Road Captain

Whiffleboy,

You are about 3000 miles from me but I sure would like to buy you a drink. After all that I am sure you could use one.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:16 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Poor dog

Old 06-01-2006, 02:20 PM
kpreese
Road Captain

Hey Wiffleboy,
I may have misunderstood, but if the jack locks into one of its safety positions, you should be able to simply pump it back up a time or two to take the load off the lever and then release the lever and resume lowering the bike.

Well, glad you and your bike made it out alive. Some of us have more trouble or bad luck than others, but we all ultimately learn and grow more confident from actually doing these things. Sometimes it is the confidence gained from a flawless job, but often there is a lot of confidence gained in overcoming a problem (or multiple problems like you did).

You hung in there, be proud!!!
Kevin

Old 06-01-2006, 02:24 PM
stewart1962
Cruiser

Hey man, i think we have all been there at some time, sounds like you did good to me, kept your cool and used your common sence, smart thinking with the nail clippers, keep smiling and keep up the good work !!!, it gets easier, honest.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:35 PM
mrghos
Road Master

Dude, you ought to become a professional story teller. That was hilarious. It was almost like I was sitting there in the garage with you.

You tell one hell of a story...

I am glad you got it taken care of.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

ORIGINAL: kpreese

Hey Wiffleboy,
I may have misunderstood, but if the jack locks into one of its safety positions, you should be able to simply pump it back up a time or two to take the load off the lever and then release the lever and resume lowering the bike.
After I got the lift out from under the bike, I messed around with it for about a 1/2 hour but couldn't get the lock to loosen up enough to be disengaged easily. There's something up with it. I'm returning it.

Whiff

Old 06-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Pat
Road Master

You indeed did good just to get through it and thinking along the way.

'Experience' is what you get when an anticipated outcome does not happen.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great Story! I was holding my breath the entire time I read that.

Quick Reply: Some Men Just Shouldn't Use Tools (long post)