General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show me your -----------hail damage! :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Show me your -----------hail damage! :(

Friday late afternoon (Aug 7th) while parked at the Full Throttle Saloon just outside of Sturgis a dangerous hail storm hit. It lasted for almost a half hour!

My 2009 Ultra Classic received many hits. One dent on the rear of the front fender was the size of a softball.

I was lucky I was parked. A few helmetless riders got concusions. How about that for the helmet argument.

I had damage to my tach,both mirrows, front and rear fender,tank,lense covers and driving glasses were broken while inside the leather dash case.

Attached are a few pics. Anyone else that was in the area have any hail pics to share?

Attached Thumbnails Show me your -----------hail damage! :(-sturgis09-218.jpg   Show me your -----------hail damage! :(-sturgis09-222.jpg   Show me your -----------hail damage! :(-sturgis09-220.jpg   Show me your -----------hail damage! :(-sturgis09-228.jpg  
Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Gawd Daymn that sucks. We left Thu am, but our camp site was just across the road from the Chip. We got lucky more ways than one. That is one big dent on your front fender. I hope your ins company treats you well. Kind of hard to argue with that one though...

Old 08-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Blueflame1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my hail damage, also at the Full Throttle, broke both mirrors, took a hit to the gauges, dent in tank, and fender. Bike took a licking but kept on ticking and got me home. Both the speedometer and tach still work, but, the fuel gauge is toast.

When I got back to the campground found out my neighbor had the same bike and had just bought new chrome mirrors, so sold me his old ones right on the spot. Today I found some used guages on e-bay for $200. So I'll be back to normal again for $250 - with a couple of dents which I'll try the heat and dry ice trick on.

We were upstairs at FTS under cover when the storm hit, those poor souls stuck on hi-way 34 at the time took some lumps for sure.

Attached Thumbnails Show me your -----------hail damage! :(-hail1.jpg   Show me your -----------hail damage! :(-hail2.jpg   Show me your -----------hail damage! :(-hail3.jpg   Show me your -----------hail damage! :(-hail4.jpg   Show me your -----------hail damage! :(-hail5.jpg  

Old 08-10-2009, 10:24 PM
youngrider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow thats crazy..sorry to hear that....hopefully everything works out.. as far as getting your bike fixed....I didnt make it this year.. or I might have been in the same boat as you.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 PM
whiskeyrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 326 Likes on 149 Posts

Baeseman, did you stay at Bear Butte Creek? Sorry for the thread hijack,WR.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by whiskeyrider
Baeseman, did you stay at Bear Butte Creek? Sorry for the thread hijack,WR.
No, Creekside. Once you turn left at the 79/34 intersection, it's the first campground on the right hand side.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Insurance adjuster calls this some of the worst he's ever seen....a TOTAL LOSS.

Sorry, ...I don't mean to make light of a bad situation for those who did suffer from real hail damage. Just couldn't resist.

Attached Thumbnails Show me your -----------hail damage! :(-hail-damage.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 12:37 AM
aces_and_eights
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn Whiskers...that's just wrong!!

Old 08-11-2009, 01:56 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW! I guess Norway ain`t that bad after all.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:15 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Dammit Whiskers it's gonna take me days to get that image out of my mind! That's just cruel!

As for the OP - wow that's a helluva dent in your front fender - that would kill someone without a helmet on if you caught that in the center of the head going down the road! I'm amazed at this hailstorm and glad I missed it.

Last edited by Arizona; 08-11-2009 at 02:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Show me your -----------hail damage! :(