General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice For Greenhorn

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Got The Bug
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice For Greenhorn

Hey all,

My wife decided to leave me, so I decided to do something I always wanted to do... I just completed the motorcycle endorsement course. Now I am facing the dillema of what bike to get. Now since I gravitated to this site, it's pretty obvious which direction I'm HeaDing. My question is how do I get from here to there? If you'll permit the analogy, they basically showed me how to load the gun and told me not to shoot myself or more importantly, don't get shot. So I need to get a bike that will allow me to learn to ride safely, without hurting myself, or others. My first thought was to get a used Japanese cruiser. I also saw the promo for the full trade in for a Sportster within a year after purchase. What are some of your thoughts on the subject? What size, style, brand, model, etc.?

About me: mid 40's, 6 ft., 240lbs, muscular.

Thanks

Old 08-10-2009, 06:07 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Get a bagger. No sense starting at the bottom when you can go straight to the top.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:11 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Get whatever you like. It doesn't matter what you are riding. Be it a Moped or a 110 inch fire breather. If you get stupid on it you are gonna get hurt.

I think having a large big inch bike will if nothing else make you more cautious as a beginner.

Don't know any of this to be fact....Just my .02 worth.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:12 PM
0069fatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no right answer. Gotta get out there and try a bunch out.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm not sure if an apology or a congratulations is in order. How about a 'Welcome...'

You are in a tough spot. Yes a smaller less expensive bike is a good starter, but someone your size will out grow an 883 Sportster pretty quick. But, a 1200 would be good - for a while.

After test riding 5 2010 bikes in Rapid City, my vote would be the Fat Bob.
The chunky tire on the front didn't track anything like my Wide Glide does.
The dual disk brakes on the front were quite impressive comapred to my single disc.
Sat pretty low and was easy to flat foot.
At 6' - you'll want forward controls so you don't feel like you are sitting in a little kids chair.
The bike was all around enjoyable and I now understand why Fat Bob owners are so happy with it.

There's my $.02

Old 08-10-2009, 06:14 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't plan on keeping your first bike long. Just long enough to get confident with your riding skills, I wouldn't spend much on a motorcycle. You might want to consider a fairly nimble, easy to handle bike. I'm sure there are several bikes that fall into that category so it mostly will depend on what you feel comfortable with. Don't know much about a Sportster but it may turn out to be a good choice for you. We appreciate you gravitating to here. Be nice and go to the introduction forum and introduce yourself when you get a chance.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:22 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on all. Instead of looking at jap cruisers you might as well go with a Harley Davidson DYNA model. The Dyna's are the BEST bikes that HD makes and since you just completed the riding course you will have no problem handling them.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Watch out for rouge waves and falling pots,....oh wrong show.

Just be you, get what you want, not what everyone says you should have

Old 08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Few suggestions:

Dont rush out and get a new spanking bike...

1: Get a used cheap bike to learn on and drop. (Most likey you will drop your bike. It happens with new riders. I dropped my share of bikes.

2: Go to the dealer and learn about the bikes in the HD family. The Dyna, Softail, Touring, Vrod, and Sportster families all have something unique about them. Sit on them and get a feel for them. It will become clear as to which "one" is "the One". It is the one you seem to always go back and check out. The one that puts that grin on your face. Im sure you get the idea.

3: When you are ready to buy that bike that makes you smile when you look at it shop around for the best deal.

Just suggestions. You could always just find "the bike" and live on the wild side!

Cheers and good luck.

Tom

Old 08-10-2009, 06:25 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

My opinion is that you would make a Sporty look pretty small. I had one, and I'm a bit smaller than you. Go sit on a bunch, test ride what you can, and decide what kind of riding you want to do. If you're like an awful lot of us, you'll be trading up in a short amount of time and wondering why you didn't buy the second bike the first time. Just my $.02 (which isn't worth what it used to be!).

Quick Reply: Advice For Greenhorn