General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice For Greenhorn

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:54 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
Get a bagger. No sense starting at the bottom when you can go straight to the top.
First off sportster are not at the bottom. Its just a different type of bike for a different type of person (although I have a sportster and now find myself looking for a deluxe or road king). It all depends on what you want and type of riding.

However at 6'2" and 240lbs sportster will be to small.

I recommend the following
Fat Boy
Soft tail Deluxe
Road King.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:01 PM
RaoulDuke
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobStreetBob
Congrats on all. Instead of looking at jap cruisers you might as well go with a Harley Davidson DYNA model. The Dyna's are the BEST bikes that HD makes and since you just completed the riding course you will have no problem handling them.
+1 to this. I started riding again (after 20+ years of not riding) just a few months ago on an '02 Wide Glide. Best decision I ever made was buying a Harley. I rode some others (Shadows, Vulcans, and the like), and while they are nice bikes, there's nothing like a Harley.

Just take it slow, don't ride outside your skill level, and you'll be fine.

Good luck, ride safe, shiny side up....all that.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Regis
Cruiser

Good to educate yourself too, especially with a book like David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling". There's all kinds of great advice with diagrams on what to watch out for. He's even has photos that make a point. One is of a regular street scene and you dismiss it at first until he points out that the car parked next to the curb has a clearly visible driver, and he's still inside! That's because cars that are pulled over may just pull out or even U-turn suddenly, right in front of you.

I came back after twenty years and the first two to three months were pretty paranoid until I learned more. The first year is statistically the biggie. And then after that you've survived long enough to know how to stay alive on the street. With all that said, you'll absolutely love the sport (if you like adventure!). I haven't had a boring motorcycle ride yet.

Other motorcycles are ok, dependable, etc, etc. But every Harley I've ever seen has some kind of presence, soul or whatever you want to call it. Hardly any are ever alike and no motorcycle sounds quite like a Harley, nor has the heritage and history behind it.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:31 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I think any Dyna would be good. Easy to throw around and low to the ground.

After riding a few at my local dealer, I swear that the Dyna feels like a piece of you when you ride...all natural movements.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Tbyrd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my opinion, like many others, is avoid getting a sporty as a "starter bike." My friend just did so in April, is smaller than you, but he is already desperate to trade it on a Dyna. If you really must have a starter bike, I would go with your first thought and get a cheap metric cruiser, ride it like you stole it, then get your dream bike.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Nothing wrong with buying a cheap starter bike (read: metric). Buy a decent bike, but not too nice, ride it every day you can, and plan on trading it in next summer on the bike you're gonna keep for awhile. If you're first bike is too nice, you'll be less inclined to ride it on marginal days, and you need seat time. Put in about 6 or 7 thousand miles in a year, and you'll get a pretty good idea about what works and what doesn't work for you.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Cody450
Advanced

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
Nothing wrong with buying a cheap starter bike (read: metric). Buy a decent bike, but not too nice, ride it every day you can, and plan on trading it in next summer on the bike you're gonna keep for awhile. If you're first bike is too nice, you'll be less inclined to ride it on marginal days, and you need seat time. Put in about 6 or 7 thousand miles in a year, and you'll get a pretty good idea about what works and what doesn't work for you.
If he's going Harley don't even consider trading a metric. When I got my ultra, they appraised my vtx for trade. $3,000. Now, they'll take'em in on trade but they wholesale'em off. I sold it out right for $5,200 then made the deal.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:19 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really you have two choices, play it safe and get a cheaper maybe used bike and make sure you really like riding and maybe give yourself some time to decide what you really want. The other is do some test rides and go for it, I have always believed in buying with your heart and not your head. Buy the one that makes you smile, it's a different bike for everyone. If it makes you smile you will ride.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 AM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

go straight to the top, Ultra
Handling a 900 pound bike for the first time in traffic will scare the new rider right out of riding. Learning to ride the bike is secondary to learning to ride the bike in traffic and uncertain conditions.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:25 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your almost too big for a sportster. Bike will look small.
Originally Posted by Got The Bug
Hey all,

My wife decided to leave me, so I decided to do something I always wanted to do... I just completed the motorcycle endorsement course. Now I am facing the dillema of what bike to get. Now since I gravitated to this site, it's pretty obvious which direction I'm HeaDing. My question is how do I get from here to there? If you'll permit the analogy, they basically showed me how to load the gun and told me not to shoot myself or more importantly, don't get shot. So I need to get a bike that will allow me to learn to ride safely, without hurting myself, or others. My first thought was to get a used Japanese cruiser. I also saw the promo for the full trade in for a Sportster within a year after purchase. What are some of your thoughts on the subject? What size, style, brand, model, etc.?

About me: mid 40's, 6 ft., 240lbs, muscular.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Advice For Greenhorn