General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice For Greenhorn

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Regis
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great site and very supportive. As others have mentioned, HD makes a wide range of bikes. I'm about the same height and weight as you are. Some of the big bikes will not fit you. I'm 6' 1" and when I test rode the 2009 Fat Bob, it made me feel like I was riding a kiddie bike (I was that cramped on it). The Fat Boy is a different story, so it'd be best to do the research and test ride the bikes. Get to know, all the info about what you really want (and even then, you might switch your mind).

There's a ton of nice used bikes on Craigslist for very reasonable prices. Most HD's have been well taken care of (tho' I have seen unloved and neglected bikes too, and you can tell when a fine machine hasn't been taken care of: dirty, worn tires and no maintenance records). Seek out your local Independent shop too, just ask the local riders which ones are the good ones. They may have leads as well and they know the maintenance history of the bikes being sold.

Best of luck in your search. I talked my reluctant little brother into a Super Glide and now he's one happy guy and absolutely loves that bike!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Regis
when I test rode the 2009 Fat Bob, it made me feel like I was riding a kiddie bike (I was that cramped on it). The Fat Boy is a different story
Really? You felt cramped on a bike with forward controls but a different story with floor boards and mid controls?

I had the opposite experience last week when I rode the 10' Fat Bob and Fat Boy Lo. The Fat Boy Lo felt like I was sitting in a 1st graders chair with my knees up to my chin. Not spread out on forward controls like the Fat Bob.

But that's why there are 34 models to choose from.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:20 PM
locodude
Road Captain

I'll probably get flamed for this but IMO a good "starter" bike for someone of your size would be a honda vtx either 1300 or 1800 you can get leftover new ones at most any honda shop for well under 10k most are around 7-8. I had an 1300 before I got my ultra. I bought it as a starter bike but kept it 4 years and put 35k on it. I wasn't a harley but it was a good looking bike that ran good and I didnt have too much invested it that if I decided that if riding wasn't for me I'd feel bad about what I had spent.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:29 PM
jody7734
Intermediate

At your size I would not get a sportster, and they are actually less forgiving to ride then a Dyna or Softail. If you are sure you want to have a bike for the long haul, get what you really like the looks of, you can change the bars, seat, height etc to change how if feels to ride to your liking.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:17 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Just find something you can afford, and get some time in the saddle. Once you're comfortable with it, and you feel safe.......then go seriously shopping, and get yourself the bike of YOUR dreams. None of us can tell you what it is. Get what you like, what fits, and what you're comfortable with. Evaluate how and when you're going to ride, and what you're going to use it for, then make your decision. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Figure out what type of riding U'll do and then look a bike that'll match that style of riding.

lots of good used ones now, wasn't many just 3 yrs ago..I think the gas prices got a lot of dudes out to buy and now they want to sell cause there not riding.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Haywired
Road Master

Sorry to hear about your divorce and hope you came out of it in decent shape. If you plan on doing road trips, get a bagger of some sort either a street glide, road glide, electra glide or an Ultra. I bought a 9 year old Ultra this spring and am happy with the decision. I've put in about 2000 miles and feel fairly comforatble on it. I started like you in a riders course and had not rode in many years. I have no regrets and am glad I bought what I thought I would eventually want. You will get used to it fast. I would stay with the Harley brand in order to maintain your value. Check out criags list in your region. There are a lot of good bikes for sale at decent prices. Wind therapy on the bike is good for the soul.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Sofa King Goofy
Intermediate

Congratulations on your motorcycle endorsement. I started later in life when I got mine (late 40's) after some heart surgery and realizing I better have some fun while still on this side of the grass. I had no prior riding experience and started by renting a Sportster after taking the MSF course and getting my license. It was great to get experience on that bike because as I later found out, it is actually a little more difficult to maneuver than the bigger, lower bikes. Then I bought a Dyna Super Glide Custom. That was an excellent bike and really handled well. Then came the Streetglide and I now ride an '09 Road King. I loved all the bikes and found the bigger the bike the better the ride. Also, FWIW, this succession also seems to be true with wives... JK... Maybe...

Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Driften
Cruiser

How did you do in the class? You ace it or had some issues but passed?
If you totally aced the class get what feels good, if you had some issues maybe it would be better to spend a little time on something smaller and lighter for a few months and then buy what you really want.

Me I started out with a small starter bike and then after I got some confidence under my belt bought a Softail Deluxe. I think any of the softails are more friendly to new riders then the other bikes and much easier then a sportster. It has a really low CG compared to the others. You need to sit on a lot of bikes and find what fits YOU. I think I would avoid the touring bikes for now. A dyna or softail should be easier to learn on.

For me I made the right choice. It was much easier to recover from the small beginner mistakes on a small bike then on a 750lb one.

Good Luck on your quest!

Old 08-11-2009, 03:45 AM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
They are some really good deals on all models of used Harleys. $10-$12 K will buy a lot of whatever ya decide ya want. Just take your time. You'll know when the right bike comes along.
It's magical in a way when you see it you will know

Quick Reply: Advice For Greenhorn