General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upshifting W/O Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:32 PM
SteveBB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upshifting W/O Clutch

I’ve been reading Lee Park’s book “Total Control” in preparation for taking one of his advanced riding clinics. He describes upshifting without clutching in the book, which he describes as smoother and easier on the gearbox than using the clutch. The process he describes (paraphrasing) is while accelerating, add pre-load on the shift lever. When ready to shift, reduce throttle about 25% and it will snick right into the next gear.

In 30 years of riding I’ve never done this for fear of gearbox wear. I have tried it now on my ’08 RC, and it works great when accelerating hard (which I do a lot). I’ve still got a nagging concern about gearbox wear. Does anyone have any practical experience that would shed some light on the wear impact of doing this?

Old 08-10-2009, 03:52 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sure, it *can* be done, so can downshifting without the clutch.

Your bike, you decide.

But let us know how it works out in the long run

Old 08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Naw, chit MoCo finds out we don't need that lever on the left side, It'll save them bunches on each bike..

Old 08-10-2009, 03:56 PM
GoodKnight
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do it all the time when racing on my sportbike. For cruising on my harley, seems like there's no point of doing it.

As for wear, cant help you on that. In 2 yrs of track days/racing, i dont see any huge impact on my clutch, and ive taken it apart many times. Doesnt mean the damage isnt there though.

Also, this is on a suzuki, not a harley

Last edited by GoodKnight; 08-10-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Slowpoke84
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A co-worker of mine rides a sport bike and also races professionally, and he told me the same thing. It's better to upshift without the clutch, but you need it to downshift. I said maybe on them croch rockets you race, but not on a Harley.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:06 PM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I use do do this all the time when I was playing in the dirt years ago. The bike was much lighter and I was usually hauling *** when shifting like that. With my Road King, I don't feel the need to do it. In my opinion there is really no need too. As for less wear on the gears, I don't think so. You would be straining them at best with all the weight of the bike. If you didn't slide into the next gear cleanly you might even chip a tooth. The clutch I might agree with because it isn't releasing and re-ingaging all the time.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:07 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I had a friend that used to shift without the clutch. Most of the time it went smooth but sooner or later he'd mess up something in the shifting mechanism.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 PM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=GoodKnight;5406320 I do it all the time when racing on my sportbike. For cruising on my harley, seems like there's no point of doing it.
QUOTE]

^^^+1^^^

not sure what advantage would be. it's simple on a sportbike. not tried it on the hd...

Last edited by RockyTopRider; 08-10-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 PM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodKnight
I do it all the time when racing on my sportbike. For cruising on my harley, seems like there's no point of doing it.

As for wear, cant help you on that. In 2 yrs of track days/racing, i dont see any huge impact on my clutch, and ive taken it apart many times. Doesnt mean the damage isnt there though.

Also, this is on a suzuki, not a harley
+1 ....use to also downshift with out the clutch.I do it on the sportster every once in awhile but that is me just being lazy.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:42 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've ridden sport bikes and Harleys.
Sport bikes may "snick" into gear"
Harleys tend to "Clank"
I'll stick to using the clutch

Quick Reply: Upshifting W/O Clutch