General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upshifting W/O Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Juve996
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UC2002
A standard transmission is a standard transmission.......NOT! That 18 wheeler has a ****er, Clark, or other tranny. They are more similer to an automotive transmission than they are to an H_D transmission. They have a neutral between each gear. Shifting from one gear to another and you ARE going to pass through neutral. While in that neutral "space" you allow the eng and trans to balance out as far as RPM's go. Or, time it just right, and you are already balanced out and the shifter "falls" into the next gear.
A Harley has a constant mesh gearbox. There is no neutral between each gear and when you drop out of one gear you are already into another. If you aren't at the right rpm it won't be an easy entry into that next gear......either up or down shifting. Is that going to hurt anything?........I don't know, I'm just saying that our transmissions are not like an automotive or big trucks'.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:02 AM
fastkevin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kk6pg
sequential shift transmission.
You sir hit the nail square on the head. Motorcycles have sequential transmissions. It is therefore a fact by definition they can be up-shifted without the clutch.
You need to "un-weight"(remove the torque on it) the trans while doing it, however, which is why you back off the throttle. Because you're rarely in situations where you can remove the back-torque on the trans while back(down)-shifting, you need to use the clutch while executing this.
I actually found a set of circumstances in which you are able to execlute a seemless back-shift without using the clutch, but it involves riding an MX bike, and doing it while you're in the air coming off a jump.:-)
Dynojet(and others) actually make "quick-shifters" that cut fuel and spark long enough(usually 45-65 milliseconds) to remove the torque off the gears so you can execute full-throttle upshifts. While there's no need for this piece on the street, depending on the track, it can be worth a half-second or more per lap while road racing.
I know what some of you are thinking so I'll give you this info now..Dynojet doesn't make any quick-shifter(s) for Harley's.
Solly Cholly:-0

Old 08-15-2009, 08:34 AM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been doing this for years on every bike I've ever owned. Never once have I had an issue with transmission wear, even on bikes that I put 50K+ miles on.