General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upshifting W/O Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:43 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done it on the Harley, don't do it all the time, if it is done correctly it is very smooth, when I was growing up, and part of my adult life we had a repair shop, several times we would pick up a car or a truck that the clutch linkage had broken, we would drive them to the shop, all the time, it's called speed shifting, only real problem we ran into was at stop signs and lights, we would have to turn it off, then start it in 1st gear, then go from there.
Terry

Old 08-10-2009, 04:47 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TMair
I have done it on the Harley, don't do it all the time, if it is done correctly it is very smooth, when I was growing up, and part of my adult life we had a repair shop, several times we would pick up a car or a truck that the clutch linkage had broken, we would drive them to the shop, all the time, it's called speed shifting, only real problem we ran into was at stop signs and lights, we would have to turn it off, then start it in 1st gear, then go from there.
Terry
I had to do this recently on my Harley when my clutch cable snapped.

So, yeah, on a Harley it *can* be done, but why would you want to?

Old 08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Upshifting without a clutch works just fine if you're on a metric and you have something other than a belt drive.

We aint on metrics, and we got belts. Go ahead and keep shifting without using the clutch, but keep the phone number for the towing company handy. Its only a matter of time before the belt snaps.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Juve996
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will not damage the transmission. Having said this, one must be extremely carefull when downshifting without the clutch. You do this at high speed and go down two gears instead of one...! You're toast..
I've heard this happening on more than one occasion from people I know. If you're going to try this on a regular basis, you better have your ducks in a row (meaning a highly experienced rider or some sort of professional racer) or you'll be sliding on the pavement.

The only reason I would do this is in case of clutch or clutch cable failure.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:52 PM
TexasCowGrower
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I need enlightenment. I always thought the function of the clutch while upshifting was to relieve torque from the input shaft thereby enabling the shift to occur without binding the gears in the trans. When upshifting without use of the clutch is done properly, this is accomplished when decreasing engine rpms match up with the temporary torque free rotation of the transmission input and output shaft. The shift causes no abnormal pressure on any internal parts. I don't see what belt or chain drive has to do with anything.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:08 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasCowGrower
I guess I need enlightenment. I always thought the function of the clutch while upshifting was to relieve torque from the input shaft thereby enabling the shift to occur without binding the gears in the trans. When upshifting without use of the clutch is done properly, this is accomplished when decreasing engine rpms match up with the temporary torque free rotation of the transmission input and output shaft. The shift causes no abnormal pressure on any internal parts. I don't see what belt or chain drive has to do with anything.
Theres no detented neutral in a sequential shift transmission. There is no "torque free" state as you call it.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:27 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kk6pg
Theres no detented neutral in a sequential shift transmission. There is no "torque free" state as you call it.
Ok heres the deal you pop the sucker into 1st, accelerate, release the throttle just enough to take the torq off of the tranny, pop it into second, and so on, yes it can be done and smoothly, it does take practice so I would not recomend it to any one who is not prepaired to practice! and I don't think the belt realy gives a damn.
Terry

Old 08-10-2009, 06:40 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Juve996
You will not damage the transmission. Having said this, one must be extremely carefull when downshifting without the clutch. You do this at high speed and go down two gears instead of one...! You're toast..
I've heard this happening on more than one occasion from people I know. If you're going to try this on a regular basis, you better have your ducks in a row (meaning a highly experienced rider or some sort of professional racer) or you'll be sliding on the pavement.
+1
I have done it on just about every make of bike out there in my 20+ years riding, never a problem if done CORRECTLY, the times that you will cause damage is when you try to shift clutchless and it isn't smooth and you have to force it to make it change, if you encounter that, pull the clutch and change gears. Downshifting can also be done, but be prepared to slide the rear tire every once in a while, if you don't know or have much experience riding don't do it. If you have been riding "forever" and tried to master this but have been unable to, do us all a favor and PARK THE BIKE.

Originally Posted by TexasCowGrower
+1

Old 08-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Regis
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My little bro easily did without the clutch on his Suzi GS, but when he went to the 03' Super Glide Sport, he told me the back wheel would often 'bark' hard. I tried it on my Softail and even though I'm highly experienced driving a stick, I noticed it felt very, very harsh, even with letting up on the throttle, etc, etc.

So we asked our local Independent wrench, who is highly qualified and been a lifelong rider and HD trained mechanic, including vintage bikes (he knows his Knuckles!). "Use the clutch. An HD tranny is tough and can even run low on oil, but you'll damage it shifting without the clutch...".

Old 08-10-2009, 07:37 PM
TexasCowGrower
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In reality, the negative AND positive aspects are probably negligible at best, so I humbly suggest we comply with dope man's sig and simply SCREW IT, LET's RIDE!...

Quick Reply: Upshifting W/O Clutch