General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike running poorly, surging, idling like crap, low on power...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009 | 08:23 PM
anubisss
|
Banned
Default Bike running poorly, surging, idling like crap, low on power...

Okay, here is the situation. I just got back from a 300 mile ride. The bike is a 2002 Fatboy EFI with a pcIIIr that has been dynoed, se 203 cams, fishtails with no baffles and true duals. It started having really poor power, surging, and just riding like plain ol chit. When the bike had about 15000 miles I Replaced the fuel line inside the tank as it got a hole in it and when the gas would get below the hole in the line it would run like crap. This was years ago. QAlso when I got off the freeway it died on me ;which it never does. After running the freeway at about 80 for 30 minutes it was having trouble idling until i gave it some gas.

MY first thought is to disconnect the pcIIIr and run it without that and see how it is. My second thought is it could be the gas line from the fuel pump in the tank as it was intermittent today. My next thought is the crank position sensor, and after that possibly the fuel filter in the tank. If this was your bike what would your trouble shooting method be?

The worst part is once I got home I parked it and moved my car. When I started it to put in my space it sounded fine.

Can't I clean the crank position sensor or something? Oh yeah, the worst part is that my left signal button works sporadically at best and it needs to be used to see if there is a code I can pull. The new signal button will be here this week. So, what to do in what order?

Old 08-09-2009 | 08:33 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

The intermittent nature of the problem would seem to point to electrical rather than mechanical fuel delivery. Disconnecting the PC would eliminate that as a suspect. I've seen two bad crank position sensors and neither bike would start. Make sure you have good battery connections. I had a corroded battery connection that drove me nuts for a month once. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2009 | 08:39 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

First off if ya have a shop manual most everything you need to check will be in there, if you don't have one get one. You really need to pull the codes if it put up one, second go ahead and make sure it's not the PC, easy to do. Also did you put in adjustable push rods when you did the cams, it's possible one of them has come loose. As the other poster said make sure the battery connections are tight you can get an intermittent injection firing with loose terminals, also the fuel line could have gotten another hole in it. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2009 | 08:49 PM
anubisss
|
Banned

I have a manual but always ask here first. I do have adjustable push rods. Could be the battery too I have not checked the connections in forever. I'm not doing anything until tomorrow...First will be a ride without the PC...Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Old 08-09-2009 | 09:01 PM
oct1949
Club Member

lots of happy PC's users, but thats one reason I went with the Sert.
no piggy backing. that could cause more issues..

Old 08-09-2009 | 09:06 PM
anubisss
|
Banned

I have had the power commander on the bike for over 3 years without an issue, but we will see. If I had the SEST the dyno guy was telling me I could plug intop it and it would tell me what is wrong. That stuff is a bit out of the price range right now. Maybe when the economy turns around.

Old 08-09-2009 | 09:13 PM
tjae
Tourer

I had a four wheeler that did almost that same thing. I cleaned the air filter, and it was like new again. I'm sure you are smarter than me and won't let your filter get that bad.

Old 08-09-2009 | 09:33 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I would take a look at your battery. Load test it and clean all connections and tighten. If you need a new one get a East Penn Deka. Find their website and a local distributor as they make all the HD batteries but their price is usually about $40 cheaper than a dealer. My battery crapped out at 3 years.

DO you use a battery tender?

Old 08-09-2009 | 09:33 PM
Fear Night
Tourer

Sounds similar to my problem, not sure though:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...g-to-load.html

Old 08-09-2009 | 09:34 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Took mine to the shop this week. Wasn't throwing codes but was running badly and cutting out. Checked all my electrical crap. Installed a new battery myself earlier the day before and it is put in right. Bike would start then run good then run like crap a few seconds later. Then it would be hard to start. Shop said it was the fuel regulator. Waiting on parts. I hate trouble shooting when they don't quit running.

Last edited by oldairboater; 08-09-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Bike running poorly, surging, idling like crap, low on power...