General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i go to harley davidson school? (mmi)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing like digging up an 8 month old thread....

For what it's worth, if you're planning on getting into MMI, make sure ALL of your ducks are in a row before you commit anything financially to them. Long story short, I tried to get in after regular college and was promised I'd get in no matter what, direct quote from the recruiter, "If there's a will, there's a way".

Well, I knew my financial aid was pretty much used up and really couldn't figure out how they were going to get me in. Well, assclown MMI recruiter didn't have a clue either - this was after I sent in all the cash for applications, etc, etc. So, be careful.

That being said, MMI is good school, imho. If you really want to get into today's Harley Davidson's I really see no other choice. If you're a wrench and really want to work on bikes - I'll tell anyone to go for it.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I really like the idea of working for a shop as an apprentice. Back in the 60's, I worked in an autoparts/machine shop. I did carb work on the side at home, and got the parts at a discount, and the use of parts cleaning tank at work. I then moved on to a job as service manager in a Chevrolet, Pontiac, Cadillac dealership. Up until that time I loved working on my cars, and doing carb work at home. I worked as service manager for about 6 months, and learned to hate it along with working on my own stuff. I quit, and later got a job working for an oil company doing service and trouble shooting for a products pipeline. After the stint as service manager, I could not work on my own stuff for a long time.

I do wrench on my Harley now, and enjoy it. I even work on my two Vans if I have to. I feel like when I do it my self, it will be done right, and if not, I know what I did. If you have the "knack" you will pick up very quickly from a shop, and save the money you would spend going to school. Get your self a manual, and learn to understand the procedures. That will go a long way toward your learning. But, it is still a long way from learning the procedures to actually doing the wrenching. That is where the knack comes in. Some people have a feel for doing this kind of work, while others just never get it. I wish you all the best at what ever you decide to do.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

No doubt an apprenticeship will get a person the experience he needs in the long run.

But, if you're looking for a job, need to pay the bills now, not 10 years from now, in this day and age, you'll need something on paper that says you at least went through motions.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:44 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i work in IT so i'm not sure about mechanics schools but for a long time there were these IT schools popping up promising "boot camp certification" and longer classes with hands on training and job placement. i have friends that paid big money to these schools and what they got was largely worthless, nothing better than any at home training course would've done and neither of those are getting you a job.

a lot of these schools leave people with little but very large, high interest student loans from private lenders. again that was for IT not sure if mechanic schools are the same at all.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:54 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
i work in IT so i'm not sure about mechanics schools but for a long time there were these IT schools popping up promising "boot camp certification" and longer classes with hands on training and job placement. i have friends that paid big money to these schools and what they got was largely worthless, nothing better than any at home training course would've done and neither of those are getting you a job.

a lot of these schools leave people with little but very large, high interest student loans from private lenders. again that was for IT not sure if mechanic schools are the same at all.
I beg to differ as my ex-wife was a waitress and I convinced her to do one of those 6 month IT schools back in the early 1980's. Now she makes over $100k a year as an IT manager.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:11 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I beg to differ as my ex-wife was a waitress and I convinced her to do one of those 6 month IT schools back in the early 1980's. Now she makes over $100k a year as an IT manager.
maybe in the 80's that was possible. the IT market has changed significantly in the past 30 years. i personnally know three guys with masters degrees and very talented who are unemployed. the competition is fierce and there's no way you're going to go through some spoonfed 6 month course, get some M$ cert and get hired by anybody.

i remember when i first got my MCSE i was so proud of it i hung it on the wall. once i started working i worked alongside a fellow MCSE who was about as worthless as one could imagine, i literally took that MCSE cert off my wall and tossed it in the trash can.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by babalu

MMI doesn't fit that category. Although on the surface it appears to be. However, it's the only school one can get Harley-Davidson "certified" as far as I know.

I know two guys personally that did the HD program at MMI. They both have jobs - workin' on bikes. Although, one guy works in a metric shop and does a lot of work on snowmobiles as well.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

babalu-

What kind of IT work do you do? Help Desk stuff, general IT? I'm a DBA and do my share of IT work as well.

(leaving for the day, will respond tomorrow)

Old 05-10-2010, 08:15 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fleabite
babalu-

What kind of IT work do you do? Help Desk stuff, general IT? I'm a DBA and do my share of IT work as well.

(leaving for the day, will respond tomorrow)
I'm an IT Director for a cable company right now. before this I consulted focusing on Exchange and Active Directory migrations. Consulting was good money but no stability so i sacrificed pay for a constant pay check so the wife can go to school.

not saying MMI is like those cert schools at all, but in IT i know a lot of people that paid up to 25K to try and get an MCSE which is nonsense because the cert isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:41 PM
SpaceCoast Harley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody thinking about MMI should think again. I just spent 9 months there, read the other forums I have posted in, you WILL WASTE your money. Also read the letter I posted by the HD University rep, he admitted that they tell the students what they want to hear not necessarily the truth.

Last edited by SpaceCoast Harley; 06-09-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: should i go to harley davidson school? (mmi)