General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i go to harley davidson school? (mmi)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:31 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

do they teach what's ok to wear?

Old 02-10-2010, 06:10 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
do they teach what's ok to wear?
Thanks Schu....now I have visions of the Village People dancing and wrenching in a Harley shop!

To the OP:received a lot of good (a few not so) responses on this same question.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...rench-hds.html

Old 02-10-2010, 06:28 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 02-10-2010, 08:06 AM
SpaceCoast Harley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mmi

Don't go to MMI in Orlando. I am there and it is a joke. The first 30 weeks is called MTP. It is the basics but they treat it like its basic training in the military. Certain instructors are more concerned on if your uniform is button to the "their" standards more that the rule book standards. The EMs (Education Managers) are former students who did not make in the mechanic world so they are at MMI. One was answering phones at JP Cycles prior to coming to MMI. I can truely say I did not learn much in this 30 weeks. We also have people that they have allowed thru that still cannot perform a tune up or take a carb apart without the instructors help but yet they are passed on. No wonder we have such poor service at the shops nowadays.

Keep your 25k and go apprentice even if it is for free. 25k will go along way towards your free time. Some of us have spent the moeny and now have to stick it out until the end.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:09 AM
MotorDog69
Former Sponsor
Default mmi

i would ask to talk with some studebt that are going to the school right now and see what they say

Old 02-10-2010, 08:13 AM
06Fatboy_CT
Tourer

I'm 22 and went to school to be a GM tech, ase certified all that good stuff. I went to school cause I liked working on my cars. I was turboing my little honda and I made my jeep a monster. So why not go to school for it. Like others said, once you do it for a living, it's a job and you lose passion for doing your own stuff.

I saw the comercial for MMI and it got me real interested, I was always around bikes, but I have alot holding me back from going. I live in CT, got a girlfriend apartment, puppy. Also, one of my friends I was talking to said if I want to work on bikes so bad, go to a dealership or mom and paps place and work on bikes. Start off doing oil changes and tire changes and work your way up.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:35 AM
newbiker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by curlytoes28
Hi my name is chris, I dont post here to often but I thought maybe a few of you guys would help me in my decision. I live in Rapid City South Dakota (25 miles from sturgis) and now that the rally is over I find my self back at work wishing I could continue being around motorcycles. Right now I work for a small internet help desk in rapid city. I am 20 years old and I am single. I really have nothing from holding me back from starting school some where. What do you guys think? Should i apply for motorcycle mechanics school? What is your oppinions on going to school there? Any first hand information would be greatly apreciated!!
If you are smart, you don't need school, if you are stupid it will not help you.
I repaired about 50 car engines w/o going to school, about a week ago I repaired my first automatic transmission.
I know some very successful repair shop owner, he didn't go to any schools.
Here is a question for you. when you listen somebody for 5 hours, how much will you remember? 1%? 2?
Buy wrecked old cheap Harley or any bike, take it apart and put it back together. Before you do anything read manual several times. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 PM
jimnfor
Stage III

i graduated from MMI in Jan '10. Had a job thru the placement service lined up before i left. Started working there and quickly realized the 'dealership' life wasnt for me.
i recently opened up my own shop just north of dallas. and this process would not have been able without what i learned from MMI. that gave me the confidence to branch out on my own. its all what you put into it.
thats just my two cents.......

Old 05-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go join the military and become a man first.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:45 PM
stovetop0844
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: should i go to harley davidson school? (mmi)