General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corbin Seat Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Corbin Seat Owners

The stock seat on my 09 Low Rider is OK but after 100 miles or so it begins to annoy my backside. I talked to a guy yesterday and he recommended I try a Corbin seat. He said that initially the Corbin is quite stiff and feels hard but after you ride it for a couple hundred miles it will form to your contours and will soften up. After that, he said, the seat will be very comfortable.

That said, I looked at the "Classic Solo" on the Corbin site and it does look to be comfortable. $429.00 is a rather large outlay of cash if the seat is not going to be suitable for longer distance riding. Don't mind paying the price if I get a seat worth the money spent but I'd like to know going in that it will be money well spent. I'd appreciate any feedback from those with knowledge of the Corbin.
http://www.corbin.com/harley/dyna/hdfxd6s.shtml

Old 08-09-2009, 04:49 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Well I didn't have very good luck with the Corbin. I had one on an '02 Road King. A bunch of us rode to the 100th Harley Anniversary from San Antonio. I was about ready to sell the motorcycle and take the bus home by the time we had made it to Peoria. Found a gel pad in Milwaukee and made it home, but the Corbin was not the answer to my prayers.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got 20k on my Solo and have NO complaints.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Corbin seat specially made for my old bike a few years ago, trying to lower the seat and hope for more comfort. The seat wasn't really comfortable at all even after 1000 miles on it it never seemed to soften up at all. And this was at a steep price tag of $850.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:07 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,544 Posts

you're gonna find that people either love them or hate them. i can tell you that if you want to do some long distance riding, then that 'soft' seat that felt so good in the showroom is gonna be killing you! thats where the corbin comes in, yes, they are firm, but very supportive. i really liked mine, had a classic solo, but had to get rid of it because it would not allow me to use the solo tourpak rack on my bike.

so now i have a c&c solo that allows me to use the tourpak rack so my tourpak acts as a backrest for me on long trips. the seat is softer than my corbin, but i've done a few long trips on it. not quite as comfortable for the long haul, but it works.

my wife now has my old corbin, and we just took a road trip to tulsa (about 500 miles one way) and she has no complaints about the corbin. she has long legs and the seat set her back about an inch further than her other seat which kept her from getting leg cramps on the trip. she already has the soos 1 inch extenders, and the brackets that move the floorboards forward 2". the seat moved her back just enough.

i guess the point that i am making here is that if you are shorter, then with the seat moving you back, its gonna be a longer stretch to reach the handlebars. i didn't notice it so much when i had the corbin, but after riding with the c&c, i put the corbin on for a ride one day and by the time i made it back home, my back was screaming at me from leaning forward all day.

the best thing to do is if you are close enough, go into the factory at hollister and have them make you one. if you aren't close enough to do that, and are going to be mail ordering it, then look for one of the internet discounters and get it cheaper than going directly through corbin. i originally got mine from zanotti's. if the seat you want is in the drag specialties catalog, then you can get it from there for a discount.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:11 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have the Corbin Classic Solo with the rider backrest on my Road King Custom and I had a Corbin Dual Tourer on my Softail Custom. Corbin saddles are more firm than some other brands and I think that is what makes them better. They support you properly forever. If you just sit on a Corbin in a showroom you will probably think it is too firm but once you ride on it you will like it. There are exceptions like harleyflyboy but they are rare. Most people that say they are too firm have not owned one but just sat on one.

I highly recommend the Corbin seat. I also bought the passenger pillion for my Classic Solo and backrest. I think I paid over $900 for all three pieces. I later found out on this forum that I could have ordered them from Zanotti's for 20% off. I have had good experiences ordering parts from Zanotti's so I wish I had thought about going through them and saving close to $200. I recommend that you buy through them.

A lot of people, including Corbin, say the seat will break in in about 1K miles. I really have never noticed any difference on mine. But then, I liked them from the start.

If you will be taking a passenger at all, I recommend that you get the passenger pillion with your solo. For your bike you might also check out some of their other models. I always wanted the Gunfighter and Lady for my softail but I got such a good deal on the Dual Tour from Dennis Kirk at the time that I went with that and both my wife and I liked it. I rode all over the south, southwest, and Rocky mountain states on that Corbin. Many days were 10-12 hours in the saddle and I never had a problem with a sore butt.

If you plan on doing some serious touring a Corbin is the way to go, IMO. If you are just going to be riding around town then I would go with whichever style I liked best.

Good luck.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:32 PM
ropin4gold
Cruiser

I had a dual tour on my Superglide. Really loved it, rode some 700 mile days in it with no complaints. However I got a Hollywood solo for my EGS and do not care for it. Not as much back support as the dual tour. Currently looking for a dual tour for my 09 EGS.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:58 PM
springerGT
Road Master

I like the Corbin seat.
Have had 4 on different bikes.
A fluffy seat will give a case of monkey butt after a long day.
How do I know this.

gT

Old 08-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone. I know that buying any seat is a crap shoot and I may wind up with a painful ride or I might get lucky and wind up with a winner. I think I've heard enough good stuff about the Corbin to go ahead and give it a shot.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:10 PM
DMas
Road Master

Originally Posted by Foodog
Thanks for the input everyone. I know that buying any seat is a crap shoot and I may wind up with a painful ride or I might get lucky and wind up with a winner. I think I've heard enough good stuff about the Corbin to go ahead and give it a shot.
I put a dual tour with backrest on my 97 Lowrider and it made a world of difference. I could ride a lot longer with it than witht he stock seat. I've been thinking about one on my Heritage but moneys tight so I'll have to put up with monkey butt...

Quick Reply: Corbin Seat Owners