General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:35 PM
two22
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley extended warranty

What kind of luck has anyone had with this program ???

Old 08-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This is one of those things that's a gamble. Alot depends on how much you ride and whether or not you got a "lemon" when you got your bike. As an example; if you only ride 5k a year or so you're not likely to get your money's worth out of it unless your bike was a "problem" bike to begin with.

In my case I log 30,000+ miles a year routinely here in So Cal. That translates to well over 200,000 miles by the time my 7 yr warranty expires. I'd imagine by then I'll have needed some kind of repair so I'll probably see an advantage in having purchased the 7 yr warranty. Compared to someone who does 5k a year would only have 35 to 40k on their bike and by then it's just barely broken in.

Now another issue to consider is that any significant mods you do to the bike's motor, etc may effect the warranty so you'll want to look into that first before you buy the warranty and then do a bunch of mods.

As of this post my bike has 18k on it and hasn't even stuttered so it's been a fantastic machine in every way. This modern generation of H-D's is incredibly reliable and well built as a general rule - going 100k oftentimes without a significant problem.

Just remember a motor or tranny is $2500 to $3k minimum...

Last edited by Arizona; 08-09-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:52 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Had it on my 07 RK Custom and never had to use it. It helped the resale value when I sold it this past June. When I purchased my 09 I was going to get the extended warranty again but decided against it. I believe their reliability is up there with the best.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:44 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

it's a gamble either way. i gave harley all the money i felt they deserved of mine. but i still go get the chrome or go fast goodies. the newer ones are pretty reliable. it's your choice though, cause it's your money. now go have fun.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Used it twice. Once on my 06 Ultra, the Radio went out ( they had a problem with the 06's) Regular warrenty had run out 6 months earlier. 50.00 put in a new radio that retails for 1300.00

Wifes 06 Deluxe had the neck bearing go out on a road trip, again, 50.00 and 3 hours and we were good to go.

When I traded my 06 for the 08, I bought it again. Peace of mind is everything.. And yes, I ride a load of miles so I know it could easily come in handy.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:54 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,195 Likes on 1,827 Posts

I bought the 2 year extended warranty and have not used it to date. I will expire in about 3 weeks. I have almost 70,000 miles on the bike and the only time I have used either the factory or the extended warranty was when the bike was about a year old with 20,000 miles on it, the stator fried.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:10 PM
ron bayless
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have 04 ultra,73000 miles.I bought 4 year extended warrantysince my bike was high mileage.Cost me 1400 dollars.Only a few weeks later I had the bike in twice,once for tensioner shoes,inner cam chain,and once for new cam plate and bearings.Would have cost me over 1400 dollars.Instead cost me 50 dollars each time.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I have never bought any kind of ext warrenty on anything. After 30 yrs of not paying I saved $23,471, then I invested it and now it worth over 50K and that is what I use for my Ext warranties..

Old 08-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Harley extended warranty
There is no such thing as an extended warranty with H-D. It's an extended service plan ( ESP )and the coverage is different from your standard warranty. Some of the coverage is better and some not. If you are considering it be sure to read the fine print so you are aware of what you are buying. I think it's a common practice for H-D salesmen to refer to the ESP as an extended warranty which I'm sure is where the confusion comes from.

So far, under the road hazard coverage, my ESP has replaced one front and 3 rear tires due to cuts, nails, and a 5/16" bolt all at zero cost to me.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neckball
There is no such thing as an extended warranty with H-D. It's an extended service plan ( ESP )and the coverage is different from your standard warranty. Some of the coverage is better and some not. If you are considering it be sure to read the fine print so you are aware of what you are buying. I think it's a common practice for H-D salesmen to refer to the ESP as an extended warranty which I'm sure is where the confusion comes from.

So far, under the road hazard coverage, my ESP has replaced one front and 3 rear tires due to cuts, nails, and a 5/16" bolt all at zero cost to me.
Wrong! HD does offer a factory extended warranty plan. The coverage is exactly the same as the original warranty with the exception of a $50.00 deductable.
There are some dealers that offer a waranty program that is not backed by HD, but rather an independent company. Those are the ones you really need to be careful of. Lots of fine print and little coverage.
Having said that, I've used mine twice on my '03 Heritage. Once while vacationing up in Canada, the bike burned down the main wiring harness, cost of repairs was 1300.00 my cost was 50.00. Another time when the cam chain tensioners went bad. That caused some engine damage. The cost of repairs was 1600.00. My cost 50.00.
If you ride your bike, the HD Extended Warranty is well worth it. If it's a garage queen and bar hopper, most likely you will spend more on it than it's worth.

Quick Reply: Harley extended warranty