General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always say the same thing in reply to extended warranties...yes, there are exceptions, but if the companies offering them were losing money paying out on them, they sure as hell wouldn't keep selling them...extended warranties are a gold mine for the manufacturers...

Consumer Reports Magazine did an article on ext. warranties, and concluded that "Extended warranties are the greatest rip off ever perpetrated on the consumer".

I've never paid for one, never will...

Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a used harley with one year extended warranty plan. It was in the shop six times in one year. Each time it had stay in the shop for more time because of payment of the extended warranty plan. Every shop visit was a month in the shop. This was for little jobs like fix a pipe.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I was offered the extended warranty on my 02 Ultra. I didn't take it. After two years of ownership and up to the fifth year, I had two warranty issues. First was the minor one: bad roll off switch on the throttle cable. Second was the cam chain tensioners. Both times I was on the road trip. If I had had the extended warranty, it would have paid for itself on the first go around, and I wouldn't have had to pay Kamloops HD nearly $1200 Canadian for the cam chain tensioners. So, when I bought the 07, I did take the offer to extend the warranty "fender tip to fender tip" another three years. At the rate I ride, I will have over 75,000 miles on the bike before it expires.

On another issue, I had my present home built and didn't take the extended warranty on its appliances. I should have taken it, because I've spent a bunch more on the damned air conditioner which is a piece of junk in the past two years. Only just recently did the tech discover where the leak is. Warranty is expired a year ago. Ouch.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed, if you scare people enough, they will fall for it.

Did anyone ever think why they sell extended warranties? As stated above, because they make money on them. LOTS of money. Because there is rarely a claim. Another cash cow to be made on the back end of the deal. These guys have to laugh inside when people sign for these.

I've NEVER bought an entended warranty and never will. Way too much money wasted, in my opinion.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my '05 Road Glide (1st bagger) I was a little nervous about the add-ons --stereo, etc. -- so I bought the extended warranty. In the past 4.5 years I haven't had a lick of problems with my RG!

Now I have a '10 Tri-Glide Ultra on order and I'm being wary about that 103 engine. A heat-generating cat converter has been added. I may just get another ESP just for the peace-of-mind during my retirement. Just my

Old 08-11-2009, 10:40 AM
justjohn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Roll the dice!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:41 AM
cadman311
Club Member

It's only money put it in a bank card for a brake down to use.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
austinharley
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ron bayless
have 04 ultra,73000 miles.I bought 4 year extended warrantysince my bike was high mileage.Cost me 1400 dollars.Only a few weeks later I had the bike in twice,once for tensioner shoes,inner cam chain,and once for new cam plate and bearings.Would have cost me over 1400 dollars.Instead cost me 50 dollars each time.
So that means you only had to pay $1500 for a $1400 repair! Nice!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by two22
What kind of luck has anyone had with this program ???
This used Harley cop bike I have is the 1st and only time I bought an extended warranty. In my case, I had excellent luck with the ESP. When I bought my 2000 FLHTPI it was traded in by a local PD for a newer model. I never purchased an extended warranty previously, but since this was a used bike that I could not vouch for with certainty, I decided to buy the ESP for 3 years. In 2007, it spun and inner cam bearing and took out the motor. ESP covered the repairs including new engine cases, valves, cams, oil pump, cam support plate, almost a new motor. No questions asked. A few months back, my ECM took a dive as did the cam position sensor, all paid for by the ESP. A few days before it expired, I opted to renew it for 5 more years. So basically, I have an extended warranty on the bike that does not expire until June of 2014. Essentially a 14 year long bike warranty. So in my case, it WAY more than paid for itself.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:12 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

With me if I buy the extra coverage I will never need it,if I don't I am always sorry because then I need it.

Quick Reply: Harley extended warranty