General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raped by the Law

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Border Cop
Sue him and take it to court all you want, just be prepared to loose your job as well. I'm pretty sure your department along with mine and everyone else here who is LEO strictly prohibits the un-necessary displaying of credentials/ requesting preferential treatment/ etc. It just damn stupid to do so, even more so, if you are guilty. You deserve what you got. Professional courtesy is just that, RESPECTING THE LAW!!! and not putting your fellow officers/ff's in a bad situation were they have to decide whether to ignore the law or enforce it.

How do you really feel?

Well written...

Old 08-09-2009, 02:43 PM
jmg343
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok let me respond. Sorry it took so long, Im still in the firehouse, at work.
1) Im not sueing anyone. I hate sue happy americans. No matter how you look at it, I was in the wrong to begin with, which is why I was pulled over.

2)The officer did throw my helmet on the ground, and did throw my FDNY ID on the ground. Many of you may disagree with me handing the LEO my ID card but it is common practice around these parts. Not a bribe, nor a get out of jail free card. Simply a gesture that may lend to some leniency. Much like handing a policeman your PBA card. Although I showed him my ID I still apologized for my wrong doing and admited guilt and took my tickets without a single argumentative remark.

3) When I said Ive been pulled over several times, many of those times was when I was younger and in a car. Ive only been pulled over 1 other time on my motorcycle.

4)I have been told many times by many people that they were pulled over by a cop and that the cop was a total dick to them and yadda yadda yadda. My response has always been "something you said, did, or didnt do/say obvioulsy provoked that cop into being as much of a dick as he was". I now owe those people an apology, because when I say I was nothing but 100% respectful, I really mean it.

Again, the traffic stop never would have been initiated had I been following the guidelines laid out by the law to a "T". I was not, and now I have to pay the consequences. I will go to court, I will plead not guilty to all of the charges, and I will hope for the best. But I do feel that the LEO in this case was extremely excessive, unproffesional, and took unnecessary measures. Im not going to file a complaint against him, nor sue the department, nor take any other action against anyone. I feel it would be far more expensive than I can afford and I do not think it would improve anyones situation. Not mine, his, or the next person that falls victim to one of his tirades. Im not bashing anyone, bash me all you want. Im just telling of my experience.
thanks
Jake

Old 08-09-2009, 02:47 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Some of you guys wouldn't recognize police misconduct if it hit you upside the head. And maybe it will someday. OP didn't say he didn't deserve any tickets. What happened here was far beyond simple law enforcement and I find it really bizarre that so many can't see it.

Seems you're more upset because you don't have a FDNY card to hand out than anything else. Next time a cop wants to give you a warning for something please insist that he doesn't give you any special preference just because you're a nice guy or he's having a good day. And make sure you tell him to check your license plate light because it might not be working. That way you won't look so hypocritical.

Presenting an FDNY card with your license isn't the same as offering a bribe no more than having combat veteran, national guard, etc plates on your vehicle. No, it doesn't guarantee you a pass on every violation and the op didn't say he expected it.

But it gets your foot in the door as someone who might merit a warning. Remember cops don't ticket every violator and every violation they see. People do get warnings for all sorts of reasons and I don't see anyone arguing against that.

If the op isn't giving all the story then I take it all back. He's the ahole and deserved to have his attitude adjusted. But based on what he said, this cop probably has a number of complaints in the IA office and deserves another.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:48 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Note to self: When riding in New York, tape box of doughnuts to top of dash....
Also place another note beside that one that reads "follow the law or be prepared to be busted, and if you are busted then man up to it."

Old 08-09-2009, 02:54 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Originally Posted by jmg343
Again, the traffic stop never would have been initiated had I been following the guidelines laid out by the law to a "T". I was not, and now I have to pay the consequences. I will go to court, I will plead not guilty to all of the charges, and I will hope for the best.
Huh? You admit to breaking the law yet you want to go to court and lie and say you weren't guilty? Man up to what you did for God sakes. If one of those charges weren't correct (like the insurance one) then tell them but don't lie. I thought the FD would have instilled a little honor in you.

Don't mean to bash on you but that comment you made stunk.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:59 PM
jmg343
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I should plead guilty to some of the charges? I hear what you are saying but how many times do people get speeding tickets and then plead not guilty, speak with the LEO, and then plea the case down to, say, a seatbelt infraction? That is my hope. I will plead not guilty, confer with the officer, and then hopefully we can come to some plea agreement with a lesser penalty. If that is wrong, so be it. I dont think the honor that the FD instills in me or other members has anything to do with this.

betchaan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, we have to do a lot of that or we would not move. Our roads on nothing like your roads and we can sit in a traffic jam for hours at a time if there is an incident

KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I got screwed today.
1) No signal for lane change left to center
2) No signal for lane change center to right
3) No signal for lane change right to center
4) No signal for lane change center to left
5) Non DOT helmet
6) Loud pipes
7) Riding with one hand on the handlebars
8) Improperly mounted license plate
9) No license plate light
10) Splitting lanes
11) No insurance...and I had my insurance card right there with me and handed it to him. But he said I didnt hand it to him with my license and registration so I would have to photocopy it and send it in.

My license is 100% clean. Not a single ticket, no accidents, not even a parking ticket. Im absolutely flabbergasted. If anyone knows of a good lawyer with motorcycle experience in the NYC area, please let me know.

Ok so you are a trained safety department professional employed by the City and you are:

1. Riding like a complete *******...lane splitting..one handed
2. Even though you are trained in public safety...that doesn't apply to you so you buy a non-DOT approved helmet which is illegal.
3. Your bike has required safety lighting not working
4. required identification tags not diplayed correctly
5. illegal exhaust

Then when called on it by a LEO...you hand him your FDNY ID card that says you should know better? Then you expect a pass? Like WTF do you think you are?

DO YOU give a pass to guys with fire safety violations?

I would have thrown your *** in jail. You got off light IMO.

OR maybe your purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others...

Old 08-09-2009, 03:06 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

So I should plead guilty to some of the charges? I hear what you are saying but how many times do people get speeding tickets and then plead not guilty, speak with the LEO, and then plea the case down to, say, a seatbelt infraction? That is my hope. I will plead not guilty, confer with the officer, and then hopefully we can come to some plea agreement with a lesser penalty. If that is wrong, so be it. I dont think the honor that the FD instills in me or other members has anything to do with this.
I don't know about you but if I know I'm guilty of something I pay for it. Yea it sucks but it's my own fault. Maybe I'm just damn good or something I don't know.
Seriously though, I don't try to justify my wrong doings by what other people do (like it being common in your area for people to weasel out of a ticket by presenting an id). I am not saying I am perfect (did i just say that out loud?) but if I knew I was guilty, like you know you are, then whats the big deal? Man up to it and move on.

Disclaimer: I am not and never will be a lawyer so maybe in your case it might be better to plead not guilty so you can discuss the case further. I'm just saying what my dumb *** would do.

Oh and honor has a lot to do with lieing under oath.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 08-09-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:06 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

<<< I have been pulled over many times in my life >>> and no tickets? how did you do that? with your FDNY card?
<<< I gave it to him along with my FDNY ID card >>> yeah - the good old get outta jail free card
<<< and had my motorcycle impounded >>> well, no insurance, improper license (see below)
<<< Non DOT helmet >>> is NY a helmet state? if yes, there's your answer
<<< Splitting lanes >>> is that legal in NY? if not - he probably thought he was saving your life or someone elses by removing what he saw as a hazard to the driving public.
it does sound like he went overboard with 11 tickets..... but, what was your attitude with him from the beginning?

Quick Reply: Raped by the Law