General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many people wash their bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:07 PM
RK Ivan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wash couple times a year, maybe. I use Turtle wax ICE to make her shine.
Use Maguires detail spray most other times. Works like a charm, paint it still as sweet as the day she came home from the paint shop.
Buzz

Old 08-09-2009, 02:50 PM
PSO169
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep it clean as I can

I wash my Vivid Black Ultra as much as I can. Between my Full time Fire Job and Police Off duty jobs and 6 and 4 year old, I dont get to wash it as much as I would like to. I also use the Mr.Clean car wash system. Spray the solution on and use a microfiber sponge to get the big bug spots. The spot free rinse works OK, but the Texas heat doesnt help. I use the electric leaf blower and finish with microfiber towels. When time permits or I can occupy my 6 year old I put a Coat of Mequires Cleaner wax on the fairing, tank, sadlebag lids.

I make sure at least 2-3 times a year to take off the saddlebags, and seat for a good detail.. I use Meguire's Cleaner then the Meguire's Gold class on the entire bike.

There is nothing better than a freshly polished black and chrome Harley......

Old 08-09-2009, 03:10 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

spray detailer like meguires or whatever is on sale works for me.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 PM
redling36
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually wash my bike a couple of time a month or more. Remove bags, wet, spray under bike and brakes with Simple Green, use car wash soap on the paint, SOS pads on the white walls and rinse. Then I get out the leaf blower and dry it pretty good before finishing the drying process with micro fiber cloths. Then I put a coat of wax and the tank and fenders every few washes.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:56 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master

Just spent 2 1/2 hours washing and waxing my Deuce. I might mention that I just returned from the Sturgis Rally and it was a run of more than 3000 miles. Needless to say, the bike was in need of a wash. Not one piece of chrome was shiny before washing. Looked like a dark custom. Cleaned up nice but I need advice on how to clean the front cylinder fins without damaging any paint. Soap and water didn't cut the crud on the fins. I usually wash my scoot 4 times a year unless I get into some real nasty stuff.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member

I just use dish soap and water to wash, and a leaf blower to dry it. Windex overall and it's done. I use S100 and a detail brush on the engine, so far so good. Oh ya, and once a month so far, I wax the rims and spokes. It would really **** me off if they rust.

Last edited by Ratster; 08-09-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Oh ya...
Old 08-09-2009, 07:44 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wash and wax when it's dirty, especially if I get caught in the rain. Other than that I usually just wipe it down with a spray detailer like Meguar's with a micro fiber towel.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:07 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by snakeinthegrass
Just spent 2 1/2 hours washing and waxing my Deuce. I might mention that I just returned from the Sturgis Rally and it was a run of more than 3000 miles. Needless to say, the bike was in need of a wash. Not one piece of chrome was shiny before washing. Looked like a dark custom. Cleaned up nice but I need advice on how to clean the front cylinder fins without damaging any paint. Soap and water didn't cut the crud on the fins. I usually wash my scoot 4 times a year unless I get into some real nasty stuff.

I've used gunk before which has worked well for me. Haven't tried the s100 stuff.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:17 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I'm only home and able to ride maybe 3 month's out of the year. I usually wash mine once every other year (drives my OL nuts). I keep telling her "it's not dirt, it's just where I've been. She fails to see the humor in that statement. OH WELL.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:18 PM
rockhard69
Road Captain

I just go to the local Hooters and have them wash my bike, why waste MY time plus the scenery is awsesome.

Like they say "Their wings are good but thei Br##t are better"

Like I told the Bride, I am supporting my local charity.

Quick Reply: How many people wash their bike?