General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

San Antonio Bike Thief(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:41 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After you get your bike all fixed, you should consider putting a Siren II and maybe carry a Pager with you. I know that won't stop the theives from trying but it will give you a little piece of mind and a heads-up if it happen again.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Round these parts, we have signs we put up on our property when we don't want poachers on our land..."Private Property! Trespassers will never be found."

On our homes and businesses we have..."You have already been photographed. Behave yourself."

On our bikes, we got nuthin'. I put a 120db siren on the TSSM (took 30 minutes...cost $15), but that's only going to discourage kids and frighten nearby minorities. I'm considering taking a trip to Parchman to ask professional bike thieves what would discourage THEM.

Maybe somebody already did that research...

Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 AM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bikes
After you get your bike all fixed, you should consider putting a Siren II and maybe carry a Pager with you. I know that won't stop the theives from trying but it will give you a little piece of mind and a heads-up if it happen again.
Exactly why I had them installed on the new Street Glide when I bought it. I know its not going to stop the pro from getting it but the amatures might think twice. Plus if at home if that pager goes off whoevers messing with the bike better look out for the barrel of a 12 gauge sticking out the door.

Anyway Jody glad they were unsuccesful in getting your baby. Agree either a good steak dinner or a bottle of your coworkers favorite libation is in order.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:26 AM
jody7734
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to fix the ignition, now I just need my bars to come in tuesday from Dennis Kirk and I'm back on the road. I think I'm going to go with one of those Scorpio SR-i900's instead of the HD security. Use to have one of their older systems on a rocket, worked really well and never had a problem. The pro's will always get your bike if they want it, they just pick it up an jam it in the back of a van. The 2 way alarm will ease my mind at work and prevent the drive away guys from messing it up again.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:02 PM
fonemann
Road Captain
Default thieves

I don't know if it was mentioned, a LO-JACK thing? are they too big for bikes, can they be hidden on the bike? are they a good idea?? Don't they lead the law to the stolen vehicle?

Old 08-08-2009, 03:37 PM
jody7734
Intermediate

If you think your ignition lock offers any protection look at these pictures of mine:

Detail of part that breaks:

And my fix:

It's hard to tell, but I epoxied a small piece of 14 ga sheet metal in the slot where the locking pin cut into the plastic. It's at least as good as new ignition, but it would still be very easy to force the ignition no matter what you do with this plastic piece. It cracks me up that they use a high security barrel key to lock this little piece of plastic.

Heres the little bit of damage to the fork lock bushing:

Whats left of the bars, fun ride home......

The bike ready and waiting for new bars to arive, come on brown truck.. Note the red circle, the fixed, locking, and better than new ignition switch, man pride restored......

Sorry if it seems like I'm obsessing, but today was my day to ride..... Now all I have to do is work on the bike and post on here.

Yes, my coworker will be having a nice steak for lunch next week.

Last edited by jody7734; 08-08-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:58 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jody7734
If you think your ignition lock offers any protection look at these pictures of mine:

Detail of part that breaks:

And my fix:

It's hard to tell, but I epoxied a small piece of 14 ga sheet metal in the slot where the locking pin cut into the plastic. It's at least as good as new ignition, but it would still be very easy to force the ignition no matter what you do with this plastic piece. It cracks me up that they use a high security barrel key to lock this little piece of plastic.

Heres the little bit of damage to the fork lock bushing:

Whats left of the bars, fun ride home......

The bike ready and waiting for new bars to arive, come on brown truck.. Note the red circle, the fixed, locking, and better than new ignition switch, man pride restored......

Sorry if it seems like I'm obsessing, but today was my day to ride..... Now all I have to do is work on the bike and post on here.

Yes, my coworker will be having a nice steak for lunch next week.

Huh...Rarough! The thing is made of plastic? Oh great! That's comforting to know!

Old 08-08-2009, 05:39 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jody7734
No way am I going to buy another one, I think I can fix it better than new with some epoxy. I'll post picture of the fix tomorrow if it works.
I used JB Weld and it has held for about a year so far.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:29 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Where was it? one dude LEO's were after, got into shootout, bad guy was hit a bunch (X) of times.
When the local news asked the Sheriff how come he was hit X number of times, the Sheriff said, cause we ran out of bullets.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:56 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

that's why when i go to a restaurant to eat, i tend to park the bike where i can keep an eye on it.

Quick Reply: San Antonio Bike Thief(s)