General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

San Antonio Bike Thief(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
That may not be a good idea with the Cap'n. Motels/Hotels frown on oil slicks in their rooms.

Originally Posted by outlaw0013
Used to do this all the time out of state on my WG. I don't think a batwing fairing will fit through the door. If you're worried about oil just put something on the floor under you bike. But then it shouldn't be leaking anyway
Uhhh, IT'S a panhead!!!!
Honey, can I borra yur T shirt??? Bwahahaha

Originally Posted by fonemann
When you stay at motels, try to get a handicapped room, the doors are wide and you can roll you baby right in wit ya!
Dammt thang won't fit in the 'elvatator', fm.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:06 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your lucky the fork lock held. Not going to go into the bonehead maneuver I did about five years ago. I snapped the fork lock on a wideglide without any trouble. Took me four hours to remove the pieces and another three to put a new lock in. Hate thieves.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Puggs
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a brand new night train, about a week old, stolen in San Antonio a few years back. I came home from work on a Friday afternoon and it was not in my parking space. I was hoping I might have been too drunk the night before and just forgot where I left it but no such luck.

So I reported it to police, and they said bikes stolen in San Antonio are in Mexico within 2 hours and there was no chance for me. Six months or so later they found my frame with the serial number I had reported in some junkyard. They told me I could pick it up for $100 as if that would have been a good deal for me. I sked them if they ever just parked a bike in an open space and put a hidden camera near it as it was obvious they could catch these people whenever they wanted. Needless to say the police didn't think it was necessary. I think they were in on the deal.

Anyway, tough lesson to learn and I feeling of total helplessness not knowing who stole it or where it went.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:44 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Damn, that's just around the corner a few exits from me. Bet the Escalade was stolen. Glad they were beginners and did not do any more damage than that. I would park the bike more in the open where there are surveillance cameras and customers coming and going. Azzhole thieves like privacy.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:53 PM
jody7734
Intermediate
Default Fork Lock

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Your lucky the fork lock held. Not going to go into the bonehead maneuver I did about five years ago. I snapped the fork lock on a wideglide without any trouble. Took me four hours to remove the pieces and another three to put a new lock in. Hate thieves.

If you've ever seen the inside of the fork lock on the new touring bikes you wouldn't be surprised that it held. You'd have the break a 1/2 inch pipe or 3/8 hardened steel pin to break the fork lock.

The ignition is another story. You have to break about a 1/8" thick piece of plastic to turn a locked ignition on. I have already taken mine apart just to see what it looks likes before shelling out $125+ to the dealer for a replacement. No way am I going to buy another one, I think I can fix it better than new with some epoxy. I'll post picture of the fix tomorrow if it works.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left my 07 EGlide Classic sittin in the parking lot of the Staten Island Ferrey till 4:30 in the morning a few weeks back on a little excursion into Manhattan. I dont sweat them things. I love my bike but its insured. Ill get another.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:27 AM
MNROD
Road Captain

:icon_hunte r:

Old 08-08-2009, 06:49 AM
TheGeek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla
What a dirt bag. But that settles it for me, I have a work thing in Ft. Lauderdale for 3 days / nights beginning of Sept. I have been on the fence about taking my bike. Co-workers that are coming (out of state) have been asking me to take it so they can see it. But been worried about leaving it in a parking garage for that long. I even bought a cover with a cable lock to discourage thieves... but I think I'll take the SUV instead.

By the way, nice bike.
Buy a Hoda cover, no one will touch it! LOL

Old 08-08-2009, 06:59 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jody7734
No cameras on that side of building, frickin sucks.

The whole thing made me think of a Pantera song, Five minutes alone.....
Or that line from Pulp Fiction, It would have been worth the damge to the bars to catch them in the act of doing it.....

My parents used to be in the restuarant business. In the early 70's there was a rash of break-in's at the restuarant, as well as a lot of false alarms. One night about 1am the silent alarm came in, monitored at the police station. My father, thinking it was a false alam sent my older brother and I to go reset it. When we got there we saw cops on the roof (easy to get on from a hill in the back) and all over. My father was a friend of all the cops (fed them for free). One cop told us to call my father to get there as they knew someone was inside. They go in and the place is al smashed up. Two cash registers smash on the cloor because they had been locked, glasses and dishes.

The cops look all around, see no one. Then one cop sees a scarf (winter in Boston) sticking out from under a booth. The cop (father's best friend) yankes the booth from the wall and drags some guy out. As they were leading him out in cuffs, my father said to the cop "Give me 5 minutes alone with him in the walk-in (nice and quite)". The cop told me and my brother to go wait outside. Never was told what went on... but they all came out about 5 minutes later.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:31 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

google motorcycle theft... using minivan on busy street in broad daylight caught on video by camera over as door 10-12 seconds tops. It is NOT the one that wedged bike and parked car trying to load into minivan. I always thought they would use a truck, trailer or van...but minivan is perfect due to low big door and can't see it laying inside as they drive off. Learn something new everyday I do

This year my Deuce with ignition and fork locked wandered off...to be recovered with minimal damage within an hour. I have since added a wheel lock with audible alarm. Videos show that professionals ARE going to get it....but taking precautions slows down or discourages amateurs

My personal experience has been it is low priority with police since it is JUST a motorcycle

Last edited by flibuoy; 08-08-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: San Antonio Bike Thief(s)