General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOKA HEY...."a good day to die"

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:33 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by screamn_eagle
late sept or nov???? where are you?
Well...right now I'm in Ruther Glen VA. Next week I'll be in VA. Beach, Camden NJ, and Mansfield NH. After that I'll be in FT. Wayne IN, and ST. Paul MN. After that I have to go to Fresno CA. and then head north into northern CA. and up into Canada and then back to Tacoma WA. and Portland OR. If they don't change our schedule I should be able to stop by the house on my way out to Fresno. Otherwise I won't get home until the beginning of November.

Where are YOU?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:11 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IronAss
All good ideas. I'm keeping the water in my bags so it forces me to stop and take breaks. As far as the support teams go....I'll keep my thoughts about that to myself except to say what's the challenge to the individual rider if he has a team to take care of issues he might encounter along the way?
I contacted the Hoka Hey about support teams, riders will not be allowed to have a chase vehicle. Riders will only be allowed to interact with their support team at the designated check points. So a rider with a support team will only have limited advantages, i.e. the support team can carry food, water, gas and repair items for the rider and provide them when he (or she) arrives. If the rider decides to sleep or take a break at the check point, then the support team can top off the bike give it a good once over, help the rider set up camp and provide a good meal. If the rider simply checks in at the check points and then continues on the advantages of having a support team will be limited.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...right now I'm in Ruther Glen VA. Next week I'll be in VA. Beach, Camden NJ, and Mansfield NH. After that I'll be in FT. Wayne IN, and ST. Paul MN. After that I have to go to Fresno CA. and then head north into northern CA. and up into Canada and then back to Tacoma WA. and Portland OR. If they don't change our schedule I should be able to stop by the house on my way out to Fresno. Otherwise I won't get home until the beginning of November.

Where are YOU?
south florida...then work in south florida....then home in south florida...and so on...do you get to travel the country on the bike? cause that would be awsome

Old 09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1Coastie
I contacted the Hoka Hey about support teams, riders will not be allowed to have a chase vehicle. Riders will only be allowed to interact with their support team at the designated check points. So a rider with a support team will only have limited advantages, i.e. the support team can carry food, water, gas and repair items for the rider and provide them when he (or she) arrives. If the rider decides to sleep or take a break at the check point, then the support team can top off the bike give it a good once over, help the rider set up camp and provide a good meal. If the rider simply checks in at the check points and then continues on the advantages of having a support team will be limited.
Any help from any outside source as far as the actual running of the challenge is taking away from the whole point in my opinion. This is supposed to be a test of the "Riders" ability to plan and negotiate the entire route on his own without the help of anyone. If it was a race I would probably have someone in support of me but this is about the individual and not a team.

That's just my opinion....Doesn't mean I'm right but that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:41 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1Coastie
the chase vehicle has to be ahead of the rider at the next check point. that can prove valuble, especially with any weather or traffic issues. also, if there is a break down, they are allowed to come to you. by knowing the route your on it gives them an added advantage on finding you, not to mention fuel management, it can be the difference between a fuel stop or going for the check point where you can get assistance from your crew.... the advantages are much more than you might expect.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:45 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by screamn_eagle
south florida...then work in south florida....then home in south florida...and so on...do you get to travel the country on the bike? cause that would be awsome
I wish....I'm a truck driver on tour with a band called Rascal Flatts. That's pretty awesome in itself but nowhere near as awesome as it would be to get paid to ride my Scooter all over the country.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:03 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

I wish....I'm a truck driver on tour with a band called Rascal Flatts. That's pretty awesome in itself but nowhere near as awesome as it would be to get paid to ride my Scooter all over the country.
DAMN, I LOVE RASCAL FLATTS....i was surprised he did play at the cma festival this year. Thats cool stuff dude....i do get to ride to work everyday but 6 miles to and from home is a joke

Old 09-02-2009, 09:06 PM
davidtn
Cruiser

Hey Iron...I know a thing or two about Rascal Flatts as I'm a Nashville boy myself. You should know a thing or two about long hours in the saddle I'm sure!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by davidtn
Hey Iron...I know a thing or two about Rascal Flatts as I'm a Nashville boy myself. You should know a thing or two about long hours in the saddle I'm sure!
Yes sir I can run down the road with the best of em. If you live in Nashville maybe we can get together for a drink next time I'm in town. Probably won't be until Jan when we get ready to start the next leg of the tour.

We are finishing this one in Portland OR. and they've already told me I will be taking some rigging back to Vegas and then going to the house till the end of the year.

We load most of the gear out of the Nashville area and usually do a couple days of rehearsals at the Somet Center.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I was going to sign up but then I read all the terms and conditions. There is a very one sided contract that you sign. If you take a picture or video you must turn it over to them in a specific format within 30 days of the event.

They are going to produce a show with their production company for TV. You are the unpaid actor and they get the cash. You sign a release for them to show you and any info about you.

You must pay when you submit the application. They will make a fair amount of interest by next June.

There is a long list of reasons that they can back out and not refund the money. One is if the World Health Org. declares a pandemic such as swine flu. If there is a lot of accidents or natural disasters etc. Cancel no refund.

No support at all unless you bring it. Showers was a question that I asked them. They replied that for $8 to $10 you can take one at a truck stop. I don't know of many truck stops on secondary roads.

You can't stay at a motel as you must stay with the bike. A tent along side the bike is okay.

If you have a support team the need all the data on them and you can only check in person with them when you are at a check point. You can contact them by cell phone. They can come to your aid and if needed haul the bike to a service facility but you must return to the pickup point and restart.

Think of it 1,000 bikes starting on the same ride. Even if they let them go 20 at a time each minute(very difficult to manage) it would take hours.

You agree to abide my all laws. If you break laws you are out no refund.

Then I thought about the half million dollars at the other end. I would say with certainty that 100% will speed. Plus if you are in the lead group on the last day what would some do to help their chances and end yours?

I decided that the smart thing was not to enter.

Oh! and a final kicker. The organizers will be in the race! You know, the ones that will have knowledge of the route before you.

Last edited by lh4x4; 09-02-2009 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply: HOKA HEY...."a good day to die"