General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just need to vent for a sec!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 03:55 AM
thumper 29
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just need to vent for a sec!

ORIGINAL: The HalfBreed

ORIGINAL: whaap

It looks to me that the volley ball players were displaying about the same amount of respect and consideration that some people with loud pipes display.

That seems to just about sum it all up. WHERE do we draw the line ???

IF the Volley Ball players were there FIRST..........would it be proper for the DINERS to move ???

IF there were no other choices for the Diners, would it be proper for the Volley Ball Players to move ?

Difficult situation at best, but, maybe those that are there first should have the right....

after all...

suppose volley ball players moved into an area where baseball players normally play? Now what ?

Things that make ya go Hmmmmmmm.....

Probably bad thinking on the restaurant owners part, it sounds like a mess waiting to happen.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:32 AM
Gadget
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres my take

I used to live volleyball...played, practiced, or coached it 7 days a week once upon a time when I was younger...with that said - it is impossible to "control" the ball and play the game it's meant to be played. The true object of the game is to pound the ball off a member of the opposing teams forehead (called a "sixpack" when you do that cause your team members owe you one after the game is over)...when it bounces off someones forehead - you don't get to control where it goes...

If the courts were part of the resturant/place you were eating/drinking at, then the owners of the facility had the obligation put up some sort of safety netting to keep the ball out of the dining area, and out of the parking lots.

If they didn't want to do that, then they had an obligation to put up warning signs so that if you parked too close to the courts, you run the risk of damage to your vehicle. And also put up warning signs in the seating area.

Since warning signs are much more ridiculous than simple saftey nets, and they probably didn't have either of them, I'd say the management was responsible for any lost drinks and or pay to clean your clothes and also repair damage to your bikes as well.

The fact there was an open court is irrellevant. Your beef should have been with the property owners for putting courts up so close without safety netting...The volleyball players were just trying to enjoy "this place by the lake" the same you were...If there was a softball daimond instead, and the ball kept flying into the parking lot, or worse, into the dining area, I presume you would be yelling at the owners of the softball field and not the players right? You're reaction should be the same regardless of the situation...

Old 05-30-2006, 08:12 AM
SDMF
Road Warrior

You are are a better man than me [sm=hail.gif]

I would have never made it as far as you before I would have dropped F bombs and a whole bunch of other bombs. Especially after the bike got hit, that would have been the end of their litte volley ball game. [sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 05-30-2006, 09:59 AM
canuk cruiser
Cruiser

touche on the pipes!

Old 05-30-2006, 01:23 PM
redscout
Road Captain

I think Gadget hit the nail on the head.... Management should have intervened long before anyone got pissed and should have already had something in place to prevent this. At LEAST the warnings signs, but more likely the nets.

I'm always a little leary nowdays of aggressively confronting any strangers. Some of the same people that have little or no respect for others also have little or no respect for the lives of others or the law. So little respect that they wouldn't hesitate to just run you off the road when you left (and that's if they didn't just shoot and/or stab you right then).

I'm just not at the point in my life where I'm ready to either take another's life or spend the rest of my life in jail (or get my *** kicked)... There ain't a lot of places to ride the bike in jail.

And flattening the ball would have just thrown away any good public sentiment you may have accrued up to then... When the witnesses are subpoened, it's always better if they are on your side....

Old 05-30-2006, 08:05 PM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gadget

Heres my take

I used to live volleyball...played, practiced, or coached it 7 days a week once upon a time when I was younger...with that said - it is impossible to "control" the ball and play the game it's meant to be played. The true object of the game is to pound the ball off a member of the opposing teams forehead (called a "sixpack" when you do that cause your team members owe you one after the game is over)...when it bounces off someones forehead - you don't get to control where it goes...

If the courts were part of the resturant/place you were eating/drinking at, then the owners of the facility had the obligation put up some sort of safety netting to keep the ball out of the dining area, and out of the parking lots.

If they didn't want to do that, then they had an obligation to put up warning signs so that if you parked too close to the courts, you run the risk of damage to your vehicle. And also put up warning signs in the seating area.

Since warning signs are much more ridiculous than simple saftey nets, and they probably didn't have either of them, I'd say the management was responsible for any lost drinks and or pay to clean your clothes and also repair damage to your bikes as well.

The fact there was an open court is irrellevant. Your beef should have been with the property owners for putting courts up so close without safety netting...The volleyball players were just trying to enjoy "this place by the lake" the same you were...If there was a softball daimond instead, and the ball kept flying into the parking lot, or worse, into the dining area, I presume you would be yelling at the owners of the softball field and not the players right? You're reaction should be the same regardless of the situation...
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the only object of the game was to hit the ball in such a way that the opposing team can not return it over the net. You do not have to hit it off someone's head or other body part. If such an action may send the ball into another establishment where paying patrons are enjoying a meal then common sense should prevail and not go for a six pack. The goal of basketball is to get the ball in the hoop, not slam the ball through the hoop while your buddy stands by with his mouth wide open. The second option is more enjoyable but not the object of the game. In this situation I think the players should take action to ensure to the best of their ability that they do not cause the ball to go into the restaurant. Common sense should have prevailed. I was here first is so much like grammar school. Move over and don’t smack the ball off of someone’s head.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Gadget
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cajun..."six packing" was meant as a joke...Of coure the idea is to spike the ball so it hits the floor but when there are six people on the other side trying to prevent that, it's not so easy. And when the ball is coming at you at 100 mph, it's not always so easy to control either. Even the pro's send them into the stands once in a while. That's part of the game. No different that baseball players hitting them over the fence or hitting a foul ball or hockey players sending a puck into the stands either through the glass or over it...

Old 05-31-2006, 02:41 AM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

There it is,end of story!!!Zombie thats the nutshell!!!Those Ignorant bastards!
ORIGINAL: zombie

ORIGINAL: steveokla

Funny thing is.. I can see so many of the posters on this site having the same attitutdes if "they" were the volley ball players and thinking nothing about it. I've been on this board for a long time, but really have problem with some peoples attitudes to blow up and take things into their own hands when they are part of the problem themselves...

If you would have been playing volley ball and done this to someone else, I wonder what perspective you would have had to the people sitting there trying to eat.. Would you have changed courts... I doubt it... most of the "arrogant" posters here would have just kept playing the same way they did...

Guess it depends upon which said of the fence you are on...
There's a difference here Steve, the difference is if I were playing volleyball and I had bounced the ball and spilled some peoples food or drink, I would have apologized and offered to buy them another round. I also would have moved courts if it appeared that the ball was going to continuously end up where people are eating and cars are parked. I have a lot of respect for other peoples property and their enjoyment of the night, and if I were the one ruining it, I would have gone out of my way to make sure that it didn't happen anymore.