General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has been ticketed for non DOT helment

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 04:37 PM
WillyHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: who has been ticketed for non DOT helment

ORIGINAL: kechour

DelcoDyna
..as required by law..
“as required by law” bla bla bla…If think that the point that roady was trying to make is that the officer said he would not let them go with out DOT helmets and that if they didn’t get them they would have to have the bikes towed and arrested, which is a bunch of bull. Now it is fine that you want to follow the law and all, but to each his own, you choose stock bike, that is your business, like you said that is your “$0.02.” it is certainly isn't mine.
I think that Delco's point was that if roady could have shown the officer (an A$$ by anyone's standard) the proper DOT tag, they would have been on their way.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:42 PM
jburtonpdx
Advanced

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...ages/page2.htm

somebody was talking earlier in the thread about this-

Incidently I just ordered one of the carbon fiber DOT helmets... No helmet required in Ohio but I will be traveling. I am going to bring contact info with me regarding the helmet manufacturer

Old 05-31-2006, 06:24 PM
4merRacer
Road Master

Roady, I just saw some helmets at a shop here in CA that had new DOT helmets. As for size (thickness) they are about half way between standard DOT helmets and novelty helmets. They were $60 for half-helmet or german styles. If you'd like more info or maybe want one, PM me. I'll find the name of the shop and/or manufacturer.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:04 PM
DelcoDyna
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: kechour

DelcoDyna
..as required by law..
“as required by law” bla bla bla…If think that the point that roady was trying to make is that the officer said he would not let them go with out DOT helmets and that if they didn’t get them they would have to have the bikes towed and arrested, which is a bunch of bull. Like you said, should be as required by law. Now it is fine that you want to follow the law and all, but to each his own, you choose stock bike, that is your business, like you said that is your “$0.02.” it is certainly isn't mine.

There were a couple of points that I was trying to make.

1) The cop was waaaay out of line. The "punishment" certainly did not fit the crime. There are recourses to that. And I see Roady has taken care of that.
2) If you are in a state, you have to abide by the state's laws. pure and simple, that avoids the situation entirely.
3) There are towns in this state (PA) that have noise ordinances that make a stock sporty illegal. Although they have not been pursued in court, it could be argued that such laws are in voilation of the Motor Vehicle Code in that they apply requirements not set by the state. I chose to avoid those places.
4) I do take umbrage at your statement " you choose stock bike", Neither of my bikes, nor my wife's is stock. PA only requires a safety inspection. I have never known any bike to fail PA inspection for noise (which I assume you are referring to in your "stock" statement).

There are a lot of bikers who come into PA from MD and NJ and stop at the state line and remove their helmets. I have seen them forget to stop on the way back and LEO is all over them. I don't know if they are ticketed or not.

To my mind, it is all about choice. Wear a helmet or don't. Modify your bike or don't. It doesn't matter to me. But if you voilate the law, expect to get some LEO on a bad day from time to time. I know that from very bitter experience having had long hair in the late 60's.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:46 PM
Brucest
Intermediate

My point earlier was if the cop pulled you over and gave you a summons he was obligated to make sure you did not operate your cycle any futher without a DOT approved helmet. As a police officer the liability factor always comes into play. I am not saying that the stop was right or his attitude was professional however what he did was right and at that point he was covering his a$$.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:15 PM
roady
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am not dening the fact of the non dot helmet . I was just trying to see how many other folks have recieved a ticket for a non DOT helmet. I have been wearing that style helmet for about 10 yrs without a problem. everyone that I know and have asked has never been bothered wearing the non DOT helmet. Ialso have just found out about the ACC helmet and will order one for me and one for the wife. I dont know why you would wish that I get the 500$ fine though. I guess you have never ignored any law in your lifetime and maybe when I grow up I can be perfect like yourself. But I am not flamming you at all.
ORIGINAL: DelcoDyna

I happen to live in a no helmet state; PA. Yes, I do own a variety of helmets...all DOT. No, I do not always where them.

I register my Scoots every year, as required by law. I have them inspected every year as required by law. I carry insurance as required by law. I have a motorcycle endorsement on my license as required by law.

As far as I can recall, it is the responsibility of the biker to know the laws in the states he is travelling in.

This includes wear/carry rules...reflective sticker rules. I know I check when I am travelling afield.

I am sorry to hear you missed RT. BUT, bottom line...you live in MD, you know the law and you chose to ignore it. I am not condoning LEOs behavior. Perhaps he should have just written you the $500 ticket and sent you on your way

Let's see....$25.00 skid lid + $500 ticket is probably a tad less than a tolerable DOT helmet.

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but it is just my $0.02.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:19 PM
firestar99
Cruiser

Well being a cop I can tell you he was out of line. I know I get envious of guys as they ride by and I have to sit in the crusier and watch them go by. But I try not to mess with the guys that don't have DOT helmets. Unless they run there mouth around me in a crowd about something. Then I show them that messing with the police isn't smart, when you are breaking the law and the lawmen ignores it. But that's only happened once. I still believe that it is your choice. YES it is safer but so is walking. But I don't want to walk if I can ride. Sorry you missed such an important event.I would have loved to have gone to it. [sm=innoc.gif]

Old 05-31-2006, 08:44 PM
The Punisher
Banned

Roady, I am a Police Officer in Maryland and would like to apologize for the way you were treated by th MD State Trooper. Not all State Troopers (or other LEO's) are like that. So to help you out a little bit I looked up the section on Motorcycle Helmets in the Maryland Transportation Article. The section is 21-1306 titled 'Equipment for riders". Parapgraph (b) Required Headgear reads "An individual may not operate or ride on a motorcycle unless the individual is wearng protective headgear that meets the standards established by the Administrator." No where in the language of this section does it says DOT approved headgear.

Hopefully this will help you if you decide to fight the ticket incourt.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:02 PM
roady
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Firestar 99 and Bigdog 46, I really apreciate the positive posts you guys have provided. I know firsthand that 98 % of officers are pretty straight guys and if you get mouthy or arrogant with them I then believe they have a right to be arrogant and strictly to the book towards that person. A few few months ago I was pulled over for speeding after running late for work and was given a ticket but not once was I mouthy it was yes sir and no sir. I was not mad at the officer for doing his job and he was also extremely polite in return.I thank you for looking the law up for me as well. I checked in the DMV motorcycle handbook and it says the same thing and the DMV dont have the so called "list" that the administrator approves.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:06 PM
The Punisher
Banned

Yeah as far as I know the "LIST" has never been published and I have been a cop for almost 13 years.

Quick Reply: who has been ticketed for non DOT helment