General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has been ticketed for non DOT helment

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:24 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: who has been ticketed for non DOT helment

Roady, I am glad you brought that point up in your last post. I used to be a cop, so I am not advocating breaking the law. But, it does raise the suspicion about how you were pulled over. I live in Alabama and was a cop when they passed the seatbelt law. They told the public and the officers that you were not to be pulled over for simply not having a seatbelt, that it had to be incidental to another violation. Of course, several years later, they officially broke that promise. I was going to Talladega for the race, on I-20, and a state trooper whipped around on me from the other direction. I was doing the speed limit, and assume he was doing the same or slower. He told me he pulled me over because he did not see a seatbelt going over my shoulder. At a combined speed of 140 mph, and from 300 yards away, this guy could see into my truck and notice I wasn't wearing a belt? I think it had more to do with 3 bikes, a grill and several large coolers strapped to a trailer than the "six million dollar trooper's bionic eyesight". I was polite, he was polite, and I just happened to know the guy who was backing him up, so nothing happened. Nothing came of it, but now that I think about it, it was no less than profiling.
I wouldn't trade my memories of being a cop for anything, but there was the occasional bad apple back then, just as there obviously still is now.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Screamer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ChopperHammer666
How about this: I failed my bike inspection one year (New Jersey) because they thought my Nextl DOT helmet was fake.
I always wondered about that myself, having an ACC DOT helmet that looks like a non-DOT, how do you convince them it is a DOT? It has a tag inside, but I guess they can still claim it is fake.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:41 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the NHSTA has an article at their website that states that the DOT sticker is for point of sale not an indicator that the rider has a DOT helmet later. Easyrider mag had an article several years ago to that effect too. sorry i don't have time to look both of these articles up to post.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:02 PM
roady
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was looking at their website and there isnt much different between DOT and non DOT as far a size go's. I would hate to pay that much and still be hassled for it. Is there any other companys making a small DOT style helmet ?
ORIGINAL: kechour

ChopperHammer666
How about this: I failed my bike inspection one year (New Jersey) because they thought my Nextl DOT helmet was fake.
I always wondered about that myself, having an ACC DOT helmet that looks like a non-DOT, how do you convince them it is a DOT? It has a tag inside, but I guess they can still claim it is fake.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Screamer
Road Captain

roady
I was looking at their website and there isnt much different between DOT and non DOT as far a size go's. I would hate to pay that much and still be hassled for it. Is there any other companys making a small DOT style helmet ?
I would have to assume, if it has to come down to it, one can prove it in court with documentation that a given helmet is indeed a DOT, still that would be a majot pain in the a** to do so.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:24 PM
roady
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does their helmet come with documentation ? Do you like there helmet and is it as comparable as the picture between the DOT and non DOT ? Thanks for your replies

ORIGINAL: kechour

roady
I would have to assume, if it has to come down to it, one can prove it in court with documentation that a given helmet is indeed a DOT, still that would be a majot pain in the a** to do so.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Screamer
Road Captain

I love their helmet. Small and light and fits great. It is tested according to DOT regulation and testing procedures and I believe information should be available on http://www.dot.gov/ about a specific manufacture. Also ACC http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/ have excellent customer service and I am sure they can provide further information related to their DOT approval process.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:10 PM
DelcoDyna
Cruiser

I happen to live in a no helmet state; PA. Yes, I do own a variety of helmets...all DOT. No, I do not always where them.

I register my Scoots every year, as required by law. I have them inspected every year as required by law. I carry insurance as required by law. I have a motorcycle endorsement on my license as required by law.

As far as I can recall, it is the responsibility of the biker to know the laws in the states he is travelling in.

This includes wear/carry rules...reflective sticker rules. I know I check when I am travelling afield.

I am sorry to hear you missed RT. BUT, bottom line...you live in MD, you know the law and you chose to ignore it. I am not condoning LEOs behavior. Perhaps he should have just written you the $500 ticket and sent you on your way

Let's see....$25.00 skid lid + $500 ticket is probably a tad less than a tolerable DOT helmet.

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but it is just my $0.02.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:32 PM
Screamer
Road Captain

DelcoDyna
..as required by law..
“as required by law” bla bla bla…If think that the point that roady was trying to make is that the officer said he would not let them go with out DOT helmets and that if they didn’t get them they would have to have the bikes towed and arrested, which is a bunch of bull. Like you said, should be as required by law. Now it is fine that you want to follow the law and all, but to each his own, you choose stock bike, that is your business, like you said that is your “$0.02.” it is certainly isn't mine.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:34 PM
WillyHD
Road Master

ORIGINAL: DelcoDyna

I happen to live in a no helmet state; PA. Yes, I do own a variety of helmets...all DOT. No, I do not always where them.

I register my Scoots every year, as required by law. I have them inspected every year as required by law. I carry insurance as required by law. I have a motorcycle endorsement on my license as required by law.

As far as I can recall, it is the responsibility of the biker to know the laws in the states he is travelling in.

This includes wear/carry rules...reflective sticker rules. I know I check when I am travelling afield.

I am sorry to hear you missed RT. BUT, bottom line...you live in MD, you know the law and you chose to ignore it. I am not condoning LEOs behavior. Perhaps he should have just written you the $500 ticket and sent you on your way

Let's see....$25.00 skid lid + $500 ticket is probably a tad less than a tolerable DOT helmet.

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but it is just my $0.02.
No flame here. For another $115 you could be wearing the ACC DOT helmet. It is so small that I guy at a local dealership asked me where I got the DOT sticker for my skid lid. I showed him the cert tag and told where to buy one. I wouldn't wear a helmet if I didn't have too, but since I do, I will always follow the law.

Quick Reply: who has been ticketed for non DOT helment