General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consider other brands?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

some people gotta have their name on their shirt to prove they're somebody. some gotta have someone elses name on their shirt to prove they're somebody. the rare people aren't these douchebags.

ride or talk. whatever.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Brightonrider
Had my 2010 Road Glide for a week...just love it...gorgeous bike...already have 800 miles on it. Have to admit I also looked very closely at another bike...2009 Yamaha Stratoliner...1900cc air cooled engine...loaded with everything...simply beautiful bike...$13,000. Rode it about 50 miles. Much faster than our Harleys and much better ride. I LOVE my Harley...but don't kid yourself that there are some very good metric bikes out there that are as good are better than our Harleys...at half the price...I know I owned and enjoyed 4 of them.The only thing that they lack is the highly successfull marketing program that allows Harley to sell their bikes at highly inflated prices. Probably a Harley rider from now on...but sure not ashamed to say that I looked at several other bikes before choosing my Road Glide.
RonC
2009 Stratoliner S MSRP is 16790. 2009 Road King Classic msrp is 17999. Thousand dollar difference, Road King holds it's value by far and away over the Star. I'd say the Harley is cheaper to own.

I agree the Stratoliner/Roadliner is a great looking ride. I can imagine the guys that ride them get compliments all the time....

"Gorgeous bike, is it a Harley?"
"No, it's a star Stratoliner."
"Star? Oh really? What's that? Was it cheaper than a Harley?"
"It's a Yamaha. Yeah, it's a little cheaper "
"Oh, I see. Well, nice bike anyway"

Old 08-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Certainteed
some people gotta have their name on their shirt to prove they're somebody. some gotta have someone elses name on their shirt to prove they're somebody. the rare people aren't these douchebags.

ride or talk. whatever.
Some of us have someone else's name on our shirts to hide from our ex-wives.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anybody who refuses to consider all options when making a major purchase is asking for serious regrets later. After owning several metrics, I climbed the Harley ladder. I bought a 97 Sporty in 2004, an 02 Dyna, in 2005, and now an 06 EG Classic in 2007. Before each swap I carefully examined what was out there. Test drove Yammy 1100 VStar, 1700 Road Star, 1900 Stratoliner, and their Venture Royale. Also drove a Honda Shadow, a new Gold Wing and a Kawasaki Nomad. In each case the Harley moved me in a way the metrics simply did not. I'm now 63 and doubt I will be swapping again, but if I do I will still be taking a look at all the options.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:27 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

My last two scooters have both been Sportsters. I bought them because I wanted a Harley. But for the previous 38 years, I made my choice/purchase based on the motorcycle itself, and not on the company that made it.

I realize people will 'flame' me for this, but some of us just really like the concept of riding motorcycles. And this extends to all types.

Ron

Old 08-07-2009, 02:14 AM
WildBillHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Other brands

Have only owned Harleys in my life(on my 5th) and dont really care about riding another kind, but if you want to talk women then I have had my eye on a couple of other brands!

Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 PM
jprior
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Certainteed

ride or talk. whatever.
...This is deep.

My Mom always told me I was special... just like everyone else.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Grumbler
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gburke70
I thought about the possible confusion after I posted and went back and edited it. Probably while you were drafting your post. I actually like the Speedmaster. The blacked out version of the America.
The Speedmaster gets my vote over the Bonneville America. Haven't
owned a Triumph since, uh, late 1979. Had '67 TR6R, '73 T120RV, '72
T120R, and '68 TR6R. Two of them I sold then purchased back. Sold
my last Triumph in 1980 after buying my '75 FLH1200 the year before.

Stopped by the Triumph dealer yesterday morning while it was raining
outside, and eyeballed the silver Tbird. Since the all the bikes were
packed like sardines in the showroom due to inclement weather, had
to squeeze around a Rocket 3 to sit on the Tbird. Thought it was a
real nice bike, and plan to take a demo ride one of these days.

However, if I was to get serious about getting one, would shift over to
a Triumph forum as this is called the hdforum for a good reason.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Daggers
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had fun on every single bike I've ever ridden except the test ride I had on one of the new Enfields - the clutch siezed while I was doing 70mph in the outside lane of a dual carriageway...locking the rear wheel and leaving me to perform a massive slide down the road.

The skidmark on the carriageway was matched by the one somewhere else.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:18 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

through the years i've owned right at 50 motorcycles, my first being a honda step through which i traded in for a 53 panhead. my last four bikes have been harleys. wouldn't go back to anything else. imagine trying to find a head gasket for a 1970 ducati jupiter scrambler. no thanks. parts availability an the fact that harley has a model for decades is enough to make me stay with harley.

Quick Reply: Consider other brands?