General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consider other brands?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ummmm NOOOO

Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

I never was a brand loyalist. Besides Harley, I also like BMW and Moto Guzzi.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Brightonrider
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Had my 2010 Road Glide for a week...just love it...gorgeous bike...already have 800 miles on it. Have to admit I also looked very closely at another bike...2009 Yamaha Stratoliner...1900cc air cooled engine...loaded with everything...simply beautiful bike...$13,000. Rode it about 50 miles. Much faster than our Harleys and much better ride. I LOVE my Harley...but don't kid yourself that there are some very good metric bikes out there that are as good are better than our Harleys...at half the price...I know I owned and enjoyed 4 of them.The only thing that they lack is the highly successfull marketing program that allows Harley to sell their bikes at highly inflated prices. Probably a Harley rider from now on...but sure not ashamed to say that I looked at several other bikes before choosing my Road Glide.
RonC

Old 08-06-2009, 02:53 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There a SOOooooo many great bikes out there from other brands.

Even if we're just talking cruisers....there are just so many fun bikes. It's about the ride, after all, innit?

I love my Harley, but we're not exclusive

Old 08-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a ton of bikes. Only one ever made me feel like the way the Harley does, and I just bought one a few weeks ago. I picked up a 1987 Kawasaki Ninja 750. She is in great shape, other than needing the carbs redone (leaking, but runs like she is on fire). Met my wife while on my first one (bought new in 87) and she was all for getting this one. She has her 883l, I have my FXD and WE have the ZX-7. When I want to take a ride back down memory lane, I hop on the Kawi with my wife. You can't go back in time, but this is a fun way to relive some old memories with my wife of almost 21 years.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,174 Likes on 7,360 Posts

I haven't heard anything bad about the company. I'm sure it is a nice machine if you like the styling. It's not for me and it's not a Harley.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:43 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I like this myself:

Old 08-06-2009, 03:53 PM
stevent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned and ridden 1 Bultaco, 2 Yamaha's, 1 CZ, 2 AMF Shovels, 2 AMF Sporties, 3 BMW's, 3 Kawasaki's, 2 Suzuki's, 4 Honda's, 3 new Triumph's, and 3 TC Harley's........

So yeah, I've considered other brands. Of all of them my current '08 FLHT is by far the best and a keeper but I'd like to have a Moto Guzzi as well and I wouldn't mind another BMW Airhead....Plus that 2010 Wide Glide is definately on the list of must haves, and another Iron head Sporty would be fun.....

Old 08-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Brightonrider
..but don't kid yourself that there are some very good metric bikes out there that are as good are better than our Harleys...at half the price...
Everytime I hear this statement it rubs me the wrong way. It simply isn't true. Good competative metric cruisers (if there is such a thing) start at around 13K. That is the same price as a Dyna and only four thousand less than a Softail.

Additionally, regardless of the reason, Harleys maintain a MUCH better resale value over the metric cruiser market. Therefore, when it is time to upgrade or update, you get more of your money back towards a new toy. Brand loyalty aside, to me the Harley just makes better economic sense.

Last edited by Shaved Ice; 08-06-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you wouldn't consider other brands, do yourself a favor and turn your brain back on.

Buy the bike that's best for your needs, not the brand.

Lots of companies make great rides for different types of riding and riders.

That said, I'd avoid HD knockoffs... stick to the origional if that's the type of ride you're going for. I like Victories and Indians, would def consider those, but if I get a Suzuki or the like, I want it to have four cylinders and produce more than 60hp stock...

Quick Reply: Consider other brands?