General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 bikes down in Atlanta...one dead.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dawg Rider
It's all in what you're used to. Gordon grew up in New York; I grew up in an Atlanta Burb and have been commuting to work in the city since I was 18. Plus living where we do if we want to get anywhere quick it's a matter of hopping on the interstate and that includes on the bikes. I won't say I "like" riding on the interstate, but I don't mind it. Not a place to run into trouble on the bike certainly.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:37 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

My heart goes to those involved..

This is just another reason I stay off the I"s. Its bad enough dodging them at 30-55mph, let alone at 70-80, plus all the big trucks makes it hard for others to see ya at times.

Some cagers drivers are complete Idiots when it comes to having road sense.
If I see a car full of young girls talking on their c-phones I stay as far away as possible.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I was in Atlanta as DEC of 06. Pulling a trailer with my new Ultra in it. Just south of the 285 on 75 not far from the airport a lady passed me on the right eating a sandwich driving an ford expedition. As she came back into my lane ahead of me she drifted over almost hitting another car that decided they wanted to be in the exact spot.

She over corrected and that sent her SUV into a right to left to right walking action proceeding down the interstate. Again she over corrected and slid backward until the rolling began. After about about four rollover and a couple of end over ends she came to a stop. I was unable to stop because of the traffic behind me but I did call 911. They told me several people were calling and thank me. I tried my best searching the INTERNET to see what had happened. As a former LEO I know she was killed. No one could live through that. I never saw a car respond the way hers did. Once she jerked the wheel to the right it was really all over. She no longer had any control she was along for the ride. I hate Atlanta traffic. As a matter of fact I hate all big city traffic. I guess it is good that I am not forced to be out there in it. I am respectful to those who do have to drive in it every day. Be safe.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Haywired
Road Master

Condolences to the victim and prayers for the survivors. I've driven that road a few times and not enjoyed it much as all for previously stated reasons. Many time's when taking mom south for the winter we will avoid the area and go down through Alabama mainly because of Atlanta traffic.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What a trageic ending to a ride.
One never knows, do we?

My hat is off, to peeps who either have to, or choose to, ride in that "Mayhem" on a daily, and on going basis.

Not for this ol' boy. I have one drum rear brake. NOT for the faint of heart, down there. And 70+, just to keep up, and NO TIME to read the road (hardtail), one 'surprise' pothole, makes for some interesting "riding'. I do ride thru the Cities, BUT am very selective, 'bout when and where.

And NEVER during 'rush' hour, when everyone is 'rushing' to the big long parking lots,we call "Freeways". Is that cause we spend all our "Free' time, there??

I have been known, to jump 'cross the river, and go down on the Sconi side, just to avoid the Cities.

I'll take "Our traffic" probs.
Here's "Rush Hour On Main St" (ALL 3 blocks of it)

Old 08-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl
It's all in what you're used to. Gordon grew up in New York; I grew up in an Atlanta Burb and have been commuting to work in the city since I was 18. Plus living where we do if we want to get anywhere quick it's a matter of hopping on the interstate and that includes on the bikes. I won't say I "like" riding on the interstate, but I don't mind it. Not a place to run into trouble on the bike certainly.
Tolerating it and enjoying it are two different things IMO. I lived in ATL back in the early 90's, and I'll be riding through next month headed to the mountains, but I don't think I'll ever enjoy ATL interstate traffic on a bike.

But what he said about deer is right....that would be my biggest hazard for sure, especially with how I like to rip around the back roads. That's probably as dangerous as city traffic.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

Bummer! Atlanta cage drivers strike again! That's why me & the wife have bought a home away from Atl.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:02 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dooderhead
As you can see from this screen-grab, at least one of the bikes was a trike.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...re47890-mc.jpg
wow... was is right

Old 08-06-2009, 05:13 AM
Dooderhead
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stupid ***** ******!! From today's Atlanta Journal:

SUV caused deadly I-285 crash, tieup, police say

An SUV driver who entered I-285 without slowing for traffic caused a five-vehicle crash Wednesday morning that killed a motorcyclist and injured five others, DeKalb Police said.
Police said the deceased was a 54-year-old man, but have not released his name.

The SUV driver’s name also was not released. Investigators believe the SUV driver “caused a chain reaction” that “resulted in an 18-wheeler striking a group of motorcycles,” police said.

One motorcycle rider was in serious condition, three were in moderate condition and the SUV driver was in moderate condition.

The accident closed I-285 westbound between Flat Shoals and Bouldercrest Roads for two hours.

http://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/suv-c...ly-108865.html

Old 08-06-2009, 05:53 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if it was a woman and concede that it's likely. I'm ashamed of my own gender in that respect. Don't understand why some get such a sense of entitlement just because they drive a big honking vehicle. I've noticed some guys will do it too, but admittedly not as bad as the women. Simply terrible.

Be careful out there peeps. If it's not the SUV's on the highway, it's the deer on the suburban and rural streets/roads that will blindside you as back again sagely pointed out.

I'm riding the bike in to work today and will try to be especially vigilant as I negotiate those said country back roads and then interstate.

Quick Reply: 3 bikes down in Atlanta...one dead.