General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost ate it last night....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009 | 07:38 AM
TurkeyRun
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Default Almost ate it last night....

Northbound on Hwy 55 in NC just south of I-40. Two lanes in each direction with a center turn lane. I’m in the left lane, box truck in the middle turn lane changes his mind about his left turn and pulls back into my lane as I’m about 30 feet from his rear bumper. I hit the brakes as there is traffic to my right and no place to swerve. Due to rain and my lack of skill on my brand new FLHTC, the rear brake locks and the rear end starts coming around on my right. I was pretty sure the rear was gonna catch up with the front in a hurry so I did the thing you’re not supposed to do in that situation and let off the rear brake. The back end straightened up real fast and the bike pitched hard, but stayed up.

Since the box truck’s driver window was open, I caught up to him and took the opportunity to express my displeasure, and explained at the top of my lungs about how he had endangered my personal safety. I then called his relationship with his mother into question at a very high volume level and suggested that he may suffer from ****-cranial inversion. All the while he looked at me blankly. I’m not sure if he was not familiar with my North American colloquialisms, or just had no idea what had happened.

At the next stoplight waiting to get onto I-40, the limo driver that was behind me and had witnessed the whole thing, pulled up on my right. He complimented me on keeping the bike upright. This then got the panhandler on my left involved in the conversation and the three of us discussed the incident and had a head-shaking moment at the stupidity of some people. All the while, I was trying to let the adrenaline drain from my system.

Be careful out there…..

Old 08-05-2009 | 07:56 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice Save! Glad it went like it did

Old 08-05-2009 | 08:08 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Yeah,.... NICE SAVE!

Old 08-05-2009 | 08:36 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Dude, got lucky you didn't high end. Glad it worked out. Reminds me to head to a local parking lot once a monht or so to practice my quick braking. It's so easy to skid big bikes.

Old 08-05-2009 | 08:47 AM
TurkeyRun
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Dude, got lucky you didn't high end. Glad it worked out. Reminds me to head to a local parking lot once a monht or so to practice my quick braking. It's so easy to skid big bikes.
Yes on all counts - I got lucky. I should have dropped the bike for sure. Yes, it is a good idea to practice hard braking, yes it is really easy to skid these big bikes, especially in the rain.

Got me to thinking - I wonder what would have happened on an ABS bike?

Old 08-05-2009 | 08:48 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Glad it worked out for you. Ride safe.

Old 08-05-2009 | 10:34 AM
Foley
Cruiser

I think the Triangle has some of the worst drivers I have ever seen. I was criticized for calling a spanish person a mexican when I told my story a few weeks ago. I went down in Holly Springs, 1 mile from hwy 55. We have such a variery of people - Asian, Indian, African, Russian, and a ton of relocators that it's crazy on the roads.

Old 08-05-2009 | 10:46 AM
scoteh
Club Member

Glad things worked out! I honestly can say that it is a rare day when somebody doesn't try to kill me. Here lately the majority of those driving with reckless abandon are younger females, especially blonde ones in red cars.

Old 08-05-2009 | 10:52 AM
doorsidedown
Road Captain

glad youre okay. story well put.

Old 08-05-2009 | 10:52 AM
jazzguy
2nd Gear

Wow nice job! I think you just convinced me to go out and practice my stopping skills. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Almost ate it last night....