General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put in Dyna Beads today.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:06 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts
Default Put in Dyna Beads today.....

My 09 Heritage came with 4-1/4 oz weights on each side of the front rim & all that was left on the back was the adhesive. The weights must be in someones grille & the front weights came off with just a twist. Funny that the bike ran fine like it was but the lead weights were butt ugly. Trying to feed the beads was a pain at first & using an engraver tool for vibration just marred the valve stem a bit but I got it done. For the back tirel I just poured them in very slowly, did I say s-------l------o---------w, & it was much easier. This is not a job to rush. Well I took it out for a road test & ran it up to 90mph & it felt fine. No different then before but no ugly weights that can fly off. I will put them in the 06 tires too.

Last edited by golfblues; 08-04-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been hearing a lot about these lately. So far nothing bad. I'm going to have to give them a try. Is it something that has to be measured/sized per tire or do you just put in what they give you and the self adjust? When changing the tire, do you reuse the beads or use new ones?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't done it yet, but I think they're the wave of the future. When you balance a wheel with lead weights attached to the rim, it is only perfectly balanced for that moment in time on the balancing machine until you start driving the vehicle. Then as the rubber wears away, each wheel becomes more and more unbalanced. Dyna beads solves this problem by keeping the wheel perfectly balanced, all the time, until it's time to replace the tire. Pretty clever idea.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Zinje
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what exactly are the dyna beads? Can't you just use some tiny lead shots?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:51 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a negative review by some test agency. Don't remember the source but I'm going to try to find it.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:06 PM
minutemaidman
Advanced

I'm interested in this too, as I'm about to replace a rear tire. Can we get a little more detail about it?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

You can re-use them. 1 oz in the front tire & 2 ozs in the back.

They are not recommended for cars because of the width of the tires I believe. I have not read anything negative on bikes.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Motorcycle Consumer News tested them in their 10/06 edition and basically said they were snake oil. Couldn't find the entire article but did find this:

... the only independent test done on the beads, by Dave Searle for Motorcyle Consumer News, published Oct. 2006, page 48 reads at the end:

"Taking the bike out on the road, repeating the same stretch of freeway several times at speeds up to 85mph, the beaded tire felt heavier, with a strong sense of gyro stability, but was noticeably less smooth running than when factory balanced, but perhaps just slightly better than with the original weights removed." (no rim weights OR beads installed)
"Our advice: Go for a proper spin balance when you buy tires; it's more effective."

Old 08-04-2009, 10:17 PM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

I have them and i LOVE them If yountry them you will never ride with out them Tires last a lot longer http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

Rick From San Diego / TJ Mexico
1992 flhtc
2002 V-Rod
soon to join the 260 club
Brembo Calipers front & rear
AW wheels
Metzelers & Dyna Beads
V-mods

Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Motorcycle Consumer News tested them in their 10/06 edition and basically said they were snake oil. Couldn't find the entire article but did find this:

... the only independent test done on the beads, by Dave Searle for Motorcyle Consumer News, published Oct. 2006, page 48 reads at the end:

"Taking the bike out on the road, repeating the same stretch of freeway several times at speeds up to 85mph, the beaded tire felt heavier, with a strong sense of gyro stability, but was noticeably less smooth running than when factory balanced, but perhaps just slightly better than with the original weights removed." (no rim weights OR beads installed)
"Our advice: Go for a proper spin balance when you buy tires; it's more effective."

If you do a search you will find many threads talking about their effectiveness or skeptics that say snake oil. It's funny, no one that has used them has said that their bike now has a vibration & it was fine before they put the beads in. I can only say that after removing the 2 ozs of lead stick on weight that was put on at the factory & adding the beads there was no difference. Both were smooth as silk but the beads are invisible. Works for me

Quick Reply: Put in Dyna Beads today.....