General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ontario woman killed in motorcycle accident on Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010 | 09:27 PM
WVRoughrider
Cruiser

you have to always antisapate anything around a curve.Here in west virginia we have some roads that make the dragon look like a freeway,you better ride your skill level if your not use to it.My condolences to the family.

Old 03-07-2010 | 06:10 AM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master

Originally Posted by BadBobOk
I hate to hear news like this but I suspect there's a lot of folks riding the Dragon who don't have the skills to be on that road. Some are lucky and make it, some die.
I agree, to a point. Riding @ posted speed limits is not that challenging. I suspect that most accidents and in particular, fatalities, occur at speeds somewhat higher than that. Just sayin'.... Know of a friend of a friend who crashed and died on the Dragon, and we all know he was going way fast on his sportbike. He always did, according to them. But it's not a personal racetrack with all the safety stuff built in. So the "skills needed" are for going fast? Sorry to hear about the death. Respects to the family.

Old 03-07-2010 | 06:28 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member

A good time to run the Dragon is in the morning, when the traffic is sparse.

Less traffic, less risk.

Old 03-07-2010 | 07:32 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by Plow64
A good time to run the Dragon is in the morning, when the traffic is sparse.

Less traffic, less risk.
+1 - And NOT on the weekend when it's loaded with traffic.

Old 03-07-2010 | 09:04 AM
Red9
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kevmic28
After watching the video. Thee people in the mini van were going way too slow to be doing the speedl imit. Honestly I think the guy on the dresser didnt expect the minivan to be there as he hit the curve and crossed the lines to keep from hitting the back of the van.
yes they should have pulled over and offered assistance. Fact is whether they got hit or not they were involved in that accident and more than likely caused it. Seems like everytime they would go around a curve on the video they would almost stop to show the next curve on video.
You must be watching a different video...

I'm not going to try to estimate how fast the minivan was going cause it doesn't matter.
But I can use my ears and hear the Harley suddenly come into the picture...passing the minivan at a high speed. Then he lays off the gas quick, (real good idea #2...cause we all know, there's no better way to regain control of your ride in a tight curve, then loading up the front end.....as you're staring at what you want to avoid...lol)

To me, what the minivan driver says right away, says it all. "What an idiot!"
The same thing many of us have probably said countless times when we've spotted an idiot.

And don't you love his buddy, who's following...Is there a better example available of going where you're looking and not looking where you wanta go?

Last edited by Red9; 03-07-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-07-2010 | 09:24 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior

So sorry to hear about anyones death, especially while doing what they love.
I have not ridden the Dragon on my motorsickle yet and probably never will. I was in the area on business a few months back and I and a buddy drove it in a rent car, (didn't see a T shirt that would qualify). But I was amazed at the number of curves, corners, off camber turns and just really strange radius cormers. I did see a lot of ricers, and particularly BMW guys for some reason, really testing their skills, doesn't seem like a good place to be testing yourself. Can't really blame it all on the crotchers, we saw plenty of Harley riders pusing it, if that is the correct word for a Harley. Also saw way too many trucks using both sides of the road and most of the shoulders (what little there were) in blind corners. I have been riding 43 years now and either old age or wisdom or both, have led me to decide that I don't need that T-shirt.