General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ontario woman killed in motorcycle accident on Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010 | 11:19 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior

After watching the video. Thee people in the mini van were going way too slow to be doing the speedl imit. Honestly I think the guy on the dresser didnt expect the minivan to be there as he hit the curve and crossed the lines to keep from hitting the back of the van.
yes they should have pulled over and offered assistance. Fact is whether they got hit or not they were involved in that accident and more than likely caused it. Seems like everytime they would go around a curve on the video they would almost stop to show the next curve on video.

Old 03-03-2010 | 11:24 PM
1sttinker
Advanced

rip best to family

Old 03-06-2010 | 07:47 AM
mabernhardt
5th Gear

Originally Posted by kevmic28
After watching the video. Thee people in the mini van were going way too slow to be doing the speedl imit. Honestly I think the guy on the dresser didnt expect the minivan to be there as he hit the curve and crossed the lines to keep from hitting the back of the van.
yes they should have pulled over and offered assistance. Fact is whether they got hit or not they were involved in that accident and more than likely caused it. Seems like everytime they would go around a curve on the video they would almost stop to show the next curve on video.
You must have watched a different video then I did, No matter what was the speed was the bagger guy was wrong.

Old 03-06-2010 | 08:19 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

There was a spot for those wusses to pull over, on the left before the next curve there was a small gravel area big enought for 3 cars.

yes they should have pulled over and offered assistance.
The video clearly showed the biker had tons of help already.
The people were likely scared for their own safety and left.

No vehicle contact with them, they were not involved (unless they were stupid enough to stay and volunteer to be involved).

Last edited by Faast Ed; 03-06-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-06-2010 | 08:28 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior

No way was it the cars fault! Even if they had stopped in the road and the bike rear ended them it would have been the bikes fault. It was the moron on the bike that didn't know how to ride that caused the "off road excursion".
I do agree that they should have stopped to see if there was anything they could do to help those idiots.

Old 03-06-2010 | 08:58 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Sad to hear about her death on the Dragon.

What is it about the Dragon? We have some extremely twisty mountain roads out in the west that can take any biker's skills right to the edge (and over) their 'envelope'. Lewiston's Spiral Highway (the actual highway that the writer of 'Hot Rod Lincoln' wrote the song about), or Asotins 'Rattlesnake Ridge' to name a couple of local butt-clenching scary rides if you don't know what you're doing. Is it the sheer numbers of such riders attracted to the Dragon?

I've seen many novices get over their heads when they try to not lose face in front of experienced riders....despite the fact that an experienced rider is never going to mock anybody for riding within their skill boundaries....they know there is always somebody faster than you are. Do people push it because there are so many bikes on the Dragon on any given decent riding day?

Old 03-06-2010 | 09:16 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Do people push it because there are so many bikes on the Dragon on any given decent riding day?

Some people "push it" because they have a zillion bikes tail-gating them.
Some people "push it" because their buds are indeed harassing them calling them a "wuss".

Personally I wave them past me. I am not a twisty racer and give a crap what others have to say about that. I'll catch up easily, on the next straight stretch.

Old 03-06-2010 | 09:34 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

Yea, I've heard of the many casualties of the dragon. My condolences to those who have lost loved ones.

I have never been to the dragon and actually, was hoping to include it in our 2010 road trip. I see, after watching these videos that it comands attention and respect. The moment you cross that line ... You're in no man's land ... anything can happen.

It looks to be a very enjoyable ride, nicely treed and good pavement. I for one, agree that driving at your own pace ... whether it's the speed limit or below, is a must. If anyone feels they can not drive as fast as the posted speed limit, they are entitled to drive at the speed they feel comfortable to keep control. It's not a race for everybody! Remember, it's only the maximum speed limit ... It is NOT the speed required.

For those who get beind others going slower than they'd like, and become impatient ... Well, just watch the videos .. and heed the warning. Pehaps, taking these twisties/blind curves at the increased speed YOU'd like might not even be possible .. Remember, you're not alone out there! You never know what is around that corner and even YOU might not be able to maneuver yourself out of trouble.

Drive safe!

Old 03-06-2010 | 09:40 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

The last time I did the dragon I ran it flat out as fast as I could go...but now my left knee is bothering me so I think I'll try it on my bike next time...

Old 03-06-2010 | 10:11 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Most roads that I have seen like that are posted at 35mph or LESS. There's no way that the baggers were doing even close to that. The van sure was though.

Apparently the bagger guys have never heard the phrase "Never ride faster than your line of sight."

Quick Reply: Ontario woman killed in motorcycle accident on Dragon