General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:57 AM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gremlin

Please take note that Gremlin Bells are to be given to you as a gift by someone who cares about you, not received as a freebie with a purchase. If they are "bought" or received as part of a purchase for yourself they are useless according to the legend.
http://www.helmetsetc.com/legend-bell.asp
Many years ago, on a cold December night, a crusty old biker was returning from a trip to Mexico with his saddlebags filled with toys and other assorted trinkets for the kids at a group home near where he worked. As he rode along that night thinking how lucky he had been in life, having a loving riding partner that understood his need to roam the highways and to his trusty old pan that hadn’t let him down once in the many years they had shared the road together.
Well about 40 miles north of the border, in the high desert, lurked a small group of notorious little critters known as road gremlins. You know, the ones who always leave little obstacles like, one shoe, boards, and pieces of old tires on the road, and also dig those dreaded potholes for bikers to run over and crash, thus giving the road gremlins a chance to rejoice over their acts of evil.
Well, as the lone wolf of a biker rounded a curve that moonlit night, the gremlins ambushed him, causing him to crash to the asphalt and skid before coming to a stop next to one of his saddlebags that had broken free. As he lay there, unable to move, the road gremlins made their way towards him. Well, this biker, not being one to give up, started throwing things at the gremlins as they approached him. Finally, with nothing else to throw but a bell, he started ringing it in hopes to scare off the dirty little gremlins.
About a half a mile away, camped in the desert, were two bikers sitting around the campfire talking about their day’s ride, and the freedom of the wind blowing in their faces as they rode across this vast country. In the stillness of the night air they heard what sounded to them like church bells ringing, and upon investigating, found the old biker lying along the roadside with the gremlins about to get him. Needless to say, being part of the biker brotherhood, they preceded to ward off the gremlins until the last ran off into the night.
Being grateful to the two bikers, the old road dog offered to pay them for their help, but as all true bikers do, they refused to accept any type of payment from him. Not being one to let a good deed go unnoticed, the old biker cut two pieces of leather from his saddlebags tassels and tied a bell to each one. He then placed them on each of the biker’s motorcycles, as near to the ground as possible. The tired, old road warrior then told the two travelers that with those bells placed on their bikes, they would be protected from the road gremlins and that if ever in trouble, just ring the bell and a fellow biker will come to their aid.
So, whenever you see a biker with a bell, you know that he has been blessed with the most important thing in life—friendship from a fellow biker.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:11 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i just see it as a cutesy little ornament, which has no place on my bike. i have been given two of them in the past few years, and they go into the junk drawer where they belong. it was a progressive way for the makers of said toys to earn a few bucks, so good for them. i personally haven't seen a road gremlin. i have seen 2/4's in the hiway along with bricks, tire recaps, etc, flavored with an occasional skunk, rabbit, racoon, etc, by the way, not discounting your story, it was cute, and refreshing to read.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:45 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Never leave home with out mine, a GIFT FROM MY DAUGHTER. What better person to give you a RIDE BELL?

Old 08-04-2009, 06:43 AM
locodude
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wife gave me mine. It was the only thing I took off my honda before getting rid of the bike. They look better on a harley anyway.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:48 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

I have given a few.What the hey its fun and a cute story..Sad to say i have never received one back..guess i just dont rate :-) ...Anyhooo i have yet to have an accident and because i dont have the EXTRA guardian angel strapped to my bike i guess i will continue to count on the one that rides on my shoulder......

Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 AM
2ForTheRoad
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
i just see it as a cutesy little ornament, which has no place on my bike. i have been given two of them in the past few years, and they go into the junk drawer where they belong. it was a progressive way for the makers of said toys to earn a few bucks, so good for them. i personally haven't seen a road gremlin. i have seen 2/4's in the hiway along with bricks, tire recaps, etc, flavored with an occasional skunk, rabbit, racoon, etc, by the way, not discounting your story, it was cute, and refreshing to read.
damn, I suppose you think there isn't a Santa Claus either
you just have to believe!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by riteway
I have given a few.What the hey its fun and a cute story..Sad to say i have never received one back..guess i just dont rate :-) ...Anyhooo i have yet to have an accident and because i dont have the EXTRA guardian angel strapped to my bike i guess i will continue to count on the one that rides on my shoulder......
RW -

PM me your address and I'll send you one if that will make you feel any better. At least you'll know you have at least one friend.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:29 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Gremlin bells were invented by the junk peddlers that sell there wares at bike rallies. They had to have something new to sell after the "Live to Ride" bolt on junk and "The Bitch Fell Off" t-shirts got played out...LOL.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:36 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

So you are saying they hold no power?
I forged some in the depths in the same mountain as the rings were made for Lord of the Rings and they are all known as the bells of power. Personally, I believe in many legends as they all had to start somewhere.

Last edited by VTwin-Goodies; 08-04-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Jeepin79
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wife gave me mine and since I am a newer rider I figured it could not hurt to have it on the bike. Plus mine is cool and has a gargoyle on top of the bell.

Quick Reply: Gremlin