General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch adjuster screw

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:15 PM
big_e78
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch adjuster screw

How do you know when you your adjuster screw has taken up all the slack it needs to? I screwed mine in to where I thought it was lightly touching the rod. Apparently it's too tight now because my clutch cable is completely tight when I adjusted the cable to be completely relaxed. Please help!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

I adjust mine with the cover off so I can see the clutch basket. Turn it in till it just gets a little resistance, then I back it off between 1/8-1/4 turn. Then I adjust the cable.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Manual says to move it in until lightly seated, then back it back 1/2 to 1 turn. I set mine at 3/4.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Bonesbike1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
Manual says to move it in until lightly seated, then back it back 1/2 to 1 turn. I set mine at 3/4.
+1 on that. Then adjust your slack with the adjuster by the front down tube, about 1/16" of slack cold. It will loosen up more when it gets hot.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:40 PM
big_e78
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
It's the lightly seated part that gets me. Who defines lightly? I guess what I consider light wasn't. Thanks for the help, I think I've got it adjusted now. Now if only for those damn stripped derby cover bolts...I end up stripping them every time. Sounds like I may be a bit heavy handed all the way around.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:48 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by big_e78
It's the lightly seated part that gets me. Who defines lightly? I guess what I consider light wasn't. Thanks for the help, I think I've got it adjusted now. Now if only for those damn stripped derby cover bolts...I end up stripping them every time. Sounds like I may be a bit heavy handed all the way around.
Stripping the threads, or stripping the heads? I'd guess the heads 'cause otherwise you must have a pile of "slightly" used outer primaries!

Two things - trash can the Torx and get some stainless Allen heads, and use a torque wrench since you're an admitted tool abuser.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:27 AM
big_e78
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pococj
Stripping the threads, or stripping the heads? I'd guess the heads 'cause otherwise you must have a pile of "slightly" used outer primaries!

Two things - trash can the Torx and get some stainless Allen heads, and use a torque wrench since you're an admitted tool abuser.
Yeah, it's the heads. I had already bought some stainless to replace the torx that had stripped the last time I put my cover back on. Funny thing is, I must have used a half cup of loctite the last time I installed. The torx stripped as I was taking them OUT.

Agreed on the torque wrench. I have a beam style one but every time I pull it out for something, it's too big to get into the tiny space I'm needed it for. Any suggestions on a smaller click-style wrench?

Old 08-03-2009, 05:47 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by big_e78
Yeah, it's the heads. I had already bought some stainless to replace the torx that had stripped the last time I put my cover back on. Funny thing is, I must have used a half cup of loctite the last time I installed. The torx stripped as I was taking them OUT.

Agreed on the torque wrench. I have a beam style one but every time I pull it out for something, it's too big to get into the tiny space I'm needed it for. Any suggestions on a smaller click-style wrench?
I found a small el-cheapo clicker at Harbor Freight. It works OK when I use it. But I've got "calibrated" fingers (just ask THE MAMA!) and don't use it that often.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,798 Likes on 2,539 Posts

The screws on the derby get tightened to 84-108 inch lbs.. If you are using loctite,use the blue stuff it's designed for fasteners that are to be removed regularly. DO NOT USE THE RED STUFF! Also just a drop if you have the liquid or a couple of threads worth if you are using the tube. Loosen the clutch cable until the clutch handle goes back to the grip then adjust the clutch pack. Tighten clutch cable till you have 1/16-1/8 inch play.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:00 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

......... I go In 1 full turn . AND . out 1/2 a turn....

Quick Reply: Clutch adjuster screw