General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD may close York plant

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:28 AM
mes
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did the York plant tour this past Monday and i can tell you there isn't anything old or inefficent about it. the place is like a surgical room

Old 08-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

Martinsville,Va could sure use the jobs they are at 21.6% unemployed currently.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Dutch110
Tourer

Originally Posted by gs34doc
Dutch110 is 100% correct in his assment. No business in their right mind would consider coming into PA's present business climate.
And, those here, who have other options (as HD surely does) are all looking for a way out.
It hasn't been too long ago that HD sunk millions into the York operation for upgrades and modernization, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out...
High labor costs + high taxes and fees = restructure
It's almost laughable when you take into account that they state still hasn't passed a budget and state workers are going without pay for going on what, four weeks now? This is how the guy runs his own house, we'd be foolish to think he was going to be business friendly. In a previous life I used to to a ton of IT contracting work in Harrisburg (before they went to single source suppliers which was and is another complete debacle.) Right after Rendel was elected the first time he comes walking through the cafeteria in the capital building where I just happened to be grabbing some lunch. He's waiving to everyone givine people the old hey how are ya and not a soul is responding to him. You could have heard a pin drop. After that I kind of figured it was not going to be a smooth ride.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Hooch jr
Advanced

Article in our paper the other day (I'm from Central PA) says Rendell is doing everything he can do (supposedly) to handjob Harley into keeping the plant. All kinds of assistance, new buildings, blah blah. Typical crap from Rendell.

The man is worse than a sleazy politician, he's considered one of the most corrupt of all time. Almost our entire legislative branch are jackasses, but he takes the cake. He's ruined more in 8 years than the past 3 governors combined.

Just goes to show how uninformed and idiotic most voters are. PA is nothing more than Pittsburgh to the west, Philidelphia to the east, and Alabama inbetween.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Dutch110
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hooch jr
Just goes to show how uninformed and idiotic most voters are. PA is nothing more than Pittsburgh to the west, Philidelphia to the east, and Alabama inbetween.
LOL Truer words were never spoken. I live on the fringe of civilization in Lancaster County. Taking into account that Rendel is a Philly Democrat it all makes sense, really. Somebody didn't grease his palms well enough to give a dam.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:05 AM
2ForTheRoad
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hate to see the people of York suffer, but if it has to move....I vote for WI, bring the assembly home to where it all began. It is imperative that assembly stays in the US (even if some of the parts are imported).

Last edited by 2ForTheRoad; 08-03-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:24 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

On the voters being dumb,look who they elected president

Old 08-03-2009, 09:19 PM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I doubt they'd move assembly to WI... taxes are crazy. More likely to KC or somewhere down south.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

The american dream killing the american dream.

I live pretty close to York. The governing state issue's aside. It seem's the workers just always want more no matter the buisness climate. At the sametime they want to do less and less with more time off.
The workers themselves have created there problem....

I wouldn't plan on seeing Kansas city lasting either, HD will move to end there union labor. they will move all plants and fill them with new employee's...I wouldn't be one bit suprized to see HD even shut down altogather for a short time or go the route GM went.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:52 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's interesting that the plant which makes the best selling models is the one they want to shut down. Me thinks they aren't forgetting what the Union did last year. As for coming back to Wisconsin, this state's idiot governor just pushed for, and got a 'combined reporting' law. What this means is that any company that is headquartered here has to pay taxes on profits made in other states. It cost the MOCO $22 million this past quarter alone. So, they have two options, make that difference up by moving to a right to work state, or come back to Wisconsin so they only pay for the profits one time. Unfortunately, stupid politicians are having more to do with this than any other factor.

Quick Reply: HD may close York plant