General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Got Put To The Test Today !

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:52 PM
FredMcIntire
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Got Put To The Test Today !

No doubt, I got my riding skills tested today. I wasn't able to make a ride that I had planned on going on so I decided to take a ride over into Illinois out of west central Indiana.

Anyway, on the return trip, on what I thought was going to be a piece of cake 2 lane U S Highway back home, I got into some road construction. It wasn't just a little road construction, it was 14 miles of road construction.

It was where they were taking up 3 or 4 inches of asphalt pavement with that machine that gobbles it up and grinds it into fine matter. It was 14 miles of deep, squiggly, groves cut into the road bed ! !

I never knew the front of the bike and the back of the bike could track in different directions at the same time ! It was an experience.

Thankfully, no mishaps and I made it home safely. All in all a great ride.

Ride Safe !

Fred

Old 08-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Dooderhead
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

14 miles?!?!?! DAYUM!

Old 08-01-2009, 07:06 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Soooooo, ya pass the test! ....... Now you know you can do it again.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Steves05
Intermediate
Default Road Grooves

My 1st good groove didn't look too deep. It still took me towards the concrete divider @ 90 mph. I'm watching for them now. Something new on ea. ride. I gotta get out of town tomorrow... going to a cycle swapmeet ect. About 300 miles and I won't have insomnia tomorrow night! Glad you had a good ride and hope you did'nt get any of that "Black Stuff" on your ride! Steve's 05.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:39 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

those flucker are dangerous

Old 08-01-2009, 07:43 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

I just watched the ride like a pro dvd today, and they didn't cover any of that... You win! Have a cold one!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:03 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by FredMcIntire
No doubt, I got my riding skills tested today. I wasn't able to make a ride that I had planned on going on so I decided to take a ride over into Illinois out of west central Indiana.

Anyway, on the return trip, on what I thought was going to be a piece of cake 2 lane U S Highway back home, I got into some road construction. It wasn't just a little road construction, it was 14 miles of road construction.

It was where they were taking up 3 or 4 inches of asphalt pavement with that machine that gobbles it up and grinds it into fine matter. It was 14 miles of deep, squiggly, groves cut into the road bed ! !

I never knew the front of the bike and the back of the bike could track in different directions at the same time ! It was an experience.

Thankfully, no mishaps and I made it home safely. All in all a great ride.

Ride Safe !

Fred
I got into a section of that junk a couple of weeks ago. Makes you wonder how the bike can do that!!
MikeM

Old 08-01-2009, 08:48 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I rode on that crap for about 2 miles ,I know what your saying . Was the bike cover in that dust. After 14 miles

Old 08-01-2009, 09:08 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior

It's tempting to go back and ride the road freshly paved. O'Bama's got the $$$ flowing in Illinois on many interstate highways & state numbered roads, so it may not take as long as one may think.

Glad you got the advanced degree in radically focused riding, without a mishap. Did you ever feel you were getting the hang of it?

The one road I did was freshly oiled before getting paved..... What a mess, used a quart of paint thinner to get that crap off.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:10 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

You're now qualified to to ride to Alaska on the AlCan. Come on up while the lesson is fresh in your mind!

Quick Reply: I Got Put To The Test Today !