General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Cam vs Evo ... at what price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 12:00 PM
tripl8
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Twin Cam vs Evo ... at what price?

Buy the Twinkie ..feels just like a smooth Honda...

Old 05-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Like what was said, sitting for a period of time, is much worse than beating on the bike daily.

No question, the 2001 would be my choice

Old 05-27-2006, 03:17 PM
GADave
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow - seems to be a consensus on this thread! I'll cast my vote for the 2001 also. Had an EVO Fat Boy - now have a TC Heritage Softail Classic. Absolutely no comparison between the two. Twin Cam B wins hands down and not by just a little.

Hey dc1450 - I agree with ya - the old FatBoy was not a nice bike to ride, especially for longer than 1 hr. Not too bad for toolin' around town. But, I didn't tell anyone that back when I was single & riding it. The chicks dug it. When I got home after a day on the bike I hid in the bathroom & popped Advil .

Dave from Georgia
2004 FLSTCI

Old 05-27-2006, 04:21 PM
eliems
Cruiser

Just had a conversation with the Service Rep at Trev Deely, Vancouver's biggest harley dealer.

He said"Rides Twin Cams all the time but owns an Evo" "The Evolution is a Better Motor" (Suprised me) "More vibration but a better City Cruiser".

In a nut shell he would not trade his Evolution Softail for a new one!

Told me to watch out for how the 94 has been looked after... Gas stabilizer, charging battery, turning wheels or flat spots, Starting and running it every year (which they tell me they have been doing), or else gas tank gaskets, carb work, etc could reach $2000.

Soooo ... personally I have had a smooth running Road Star http://www.tricityevents.com/roadstar.html the last 22,000 miles and I want a raunchy, loud, light, good handling Harley for City driving so I think the Evo is for me. If they have not looked after the bike then whole different story.

Any of this make sense to anyone?

Old 05-27-2006, 06:35 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

"Any of this make sense to anyone?" Haveing ridden them both, NO!

DC

Old 05-27-2006, 07:22 PM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

ORIGINAL: eliems

Just had a conversation with the Service Rep at Trev Deely, Vancouver's biggest harley dealer.

He said"Rides Twin Cams all the time but owns an Evo" "The Evolution is a Better Motor" (Suprised me) "More vibration but a better City Cruiser".

In a nut shell he would not trade his Evolution Softail for a new one!

Told me to watch out for how the 94 has been looked after... Gas stabilizer, charging battery, turning wheels or flat spots, Starting and running it every year (which they tell me they have been doing), or else gas tank gaskets, carb work, etc could reach $2000.

Soooo ... personally I have had a smooth running Road Star http://www.tricityevents.com/roadstar.html the last 22,000 miles and I want a raunchy, loud, light, good handling Harley for City driving so I think the Evo is for me. If they have not looked after the bike then whole different story.

Any of this make sense to anyone?
Hey Dude get back with us alittle later on down the road to let us know how the bike is running. I hope you picked the right one.......Ride Safe and have a good one ![sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-27-2006, 07:51 PM
71tradewind
Tourer

I have a slightly different data point than most ppl posting in this thread, I currently own a EVO power Road King and have riden a TC Road King .All I can say is I love my EVO to pieces,that said ...my RK EVO is rubber mounted where as the Softy is NOT.,but there are ways to cure the vibration problem with EVO on that Soft Tail and a heck of alot cheaper than $4000.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:20 PM
eliems
Cruiser

I thought there would be people who prefer the Evo bikes ... by the way I now have pictures of the two Softails. http://www.tricityevents.com/Softail.html

Tell me what you think.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:49 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Go for the 2001. The other one has been sitting up to long. If you are worried about the Heritage ask for a compression check on the cylinders. that will tell you how the engine is.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:27 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have t[sm=headbang.gif]o wonder why he asked in the first place?

Quick Reply: Twin Cam vs Evo ... at what price?