General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turned Away By Army MP's

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:48 AM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a federal installation.
Federal installations have rules.
You want to come on, prove you have a need and follow the rules.
You don't want to follow the rules, ride on.

For those of us in "the family", yes, it's a PITA being treated like an irresponsible child but think about it. Leadership, not always so smart in execution, is always looking for a way to keep young servicemen alive. It's dumb and executed unevenly but, understandable.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:09 PM
ZombyWoof
Advanced

BadBob- I highly encourage you to bite the bullet with the fort policy and ride back down there. I was an MP at Ft Sill and really enjoyed the history there. Our barracks were built on the site of the hospital that Geronimo died in. Geronimo's grave is a must see destination for anyone who lives in that area. The bluffs were cool to check out too, as well as the "Old Post" area.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:20 PM
pearlwhite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redleg by God!
Lot of whining here. Thier house, thier rules. No different than any other organization or club that has its own standards.

If they just allow anyone to enter someone would complain about the lax security and how "my tax dollars are being wasted". Get over it, get on with it, and ride.

Let the flaming begin.......
+1. (Interesting icon for a redleg)

Old 08-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

You can't get a happy meal without a shirt & shoes and you can't get on base without the proper gear.
Well said.

It is a very simple formula actually..

In the military, it is not necessary that one like the rules. It is necessary however, that one follow the rules.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Sgt Mac
Road Master

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Seems like my tax dollars could get me some respect since I as a taxpayer own that property. The dress rules should apply only to the men and women serving. I would be writing my elected officials about that and discussing it with the motorcycle advocacy groups.
Now that's funny.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:54 PM
BlackDenimBob
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBobOk
I'm just not going to spend any money for additional gear and dress up like a clown in the heat of July just to visit their museum. There's plenty of other places to visit. I'm just giving people a heads up about wasting their time trying to visit military bases.
They should put up a BIG sign at the gate that reads 'POSERS/RUBs ONLY!!!

Old 08-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Oh yeah... It is NEVER a waste of time to visit a base.

The men and women there would however probably appreciate it if you showed them the respect they have earned by not exercising your freedom to bitch about your apparent superiority on your way by ....

Old 08-01-2009, 02:12 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBobOk
We went for ride down to Lawton, Oklahoma and decided that we wanted to visit the military museum and the grave of Geronimo at Fort Sill. The MP said that we couldn't enter the base dressed like we were. You have to be wearing long sleeves, helmet, eye protection, full fingered gloves, reflective vest, over the ankle foot wear, brightly colored shirt, etc., etc.

Don't bother visiting military bases on your bike. They'll turn you away unless you meet all their chicken chit requirements.
BabBobOk, I am guessing you weren't in the military. It is a different world, and a good one for some people. I personally very glad they are there, doing there job, that's how we get to ride in freedom in the US.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:27 PM
CC's roadking
Cruiser

IMO if you dont like the rules, then dont go! So we must be a "poser" now if we want to ride to work and serve our country? Your going to call your F'n Congressman?

This is a bitter topic with me if you haven't noticed. The rules are the rules and yes, I am active duty and have been and will be as long as they let me. They will tell you more people die each year on motorcycles than overseas in the service because it's TRUE. I have seen and know many people that have died or been severly injured.

Are you gonna write the Congressman because you have to wear a helmet in some states or your seatbelt when riding in a cage?

Not obeying the rules on a Military instalation is cause to get a talking to from any MP or MA!!

Old 08-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Redleg by God!
Cruiser

Aaahhhh.......Just got back from a nice long ride and STILL felt the need to check out this thread.

For all those who believe that paying taxes entitles you to "respect" I would ask you to consider the following questions:

How much respect do you recieve from your local welfare recipients that have taxpayer subsidized housing, food, healthcare, and other programs? Have they invited you into their homes? Offered you any special treatment or priviledges?

When that happens let me know and I will humbly bow to your every whim, forsaking all rules and laws to make you happy.

Until then get over yourselves.

(Flame away!)

Quick Reply: Turned Away By Army MP's