General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turned Away By Army MP's

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 08:26 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Turned Away By Army MP's

We went for ride down to Lawton, Oklahoma and decided that we wanted to visit the military museum and the grave of Geronimo at Fort Sill. The MP said that we couldn't enter the base dressed like we were. You have to be wearing long sleeves, helmet, eye protection, full fingered gloves, reflective vest, over the ankle foot wear, brightly colored shirt, etc., etc.

Don't bother visiting military bases on your bike. They'll turn you away unless you meet all their chicken chit requirements.

Last edited by BadBobOk; 08-01-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:30 AM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

fluck dat

Old 08-01-2009, 08:49 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 317 Posts

Nothing to be surprised about there. Those rules apply to all military bases.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:50 AM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride to work every day on one. It is a pain in the ***. Every few months the rules change a bit. Then you ride in and find out you are unsat and have to make a quick fix or adjustment in order to enter or do an about face and go home. They will tell you that they have more cycle deaths than combat deaths and thus the reasoning. Most bases in this area require passing the MSF on the base before being issued a permit to ride on the base. On another note, one of my bikes is registered in another state (where I have a condo) which doesn't require an inspection sticker. VA does requrie one on the front left fork. Every other time I ride it to work, I get jacked up for not being registered. Then I tell them to look at the plate in the rear of the bike and they eventuallt let me pass. What's amazing to me is that there are cars with tags from around the country and each state has different registration/inspection requirements (no stickers needed or stickers on any number of spots on the windshield or plate) and there is no way they can possibly know them all. In the line of cars entering the base on any given day, you never see a car get jacked for this - only bikes.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:55 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 204 Posts

Yup very true, Although the with the latest navy instruction you only need a reflective outer garment at night and a bright colored outer garment is only highly recommended during the day now. My jacket has that reflective piping so no vest required.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:55 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like my tax dollars could get me some respect since I as a taxpayer own that property. The dress rules should apply only to the men and women serving. I would be writing my elected officials about that and discussing it with the motorcycle advocacy groups.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:00 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

We have been given access to Ft. Dix many times for Patriot Guard rides and no one had the required safety gear. When there are 20-30 or more riders, the military will suspend the rules.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Redleg by God!
Cruiser

Lot of whining here. Thier house, thier rules. No different than any other organization or club that has its own standards.

If they just allow anyone to enter someone would complain about the lax security and how "my tax dollars are being wasted". Get over it, get on with it, and ride.

Let the flaming begin.......

Last edited by Redleg by God!; 08-01-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-01-2009, 09:16 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

<<<<< Have to dress like a poser to get in...

Old 08-01-2009, 09:23 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,573 Likes on 5,089 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBobOk
We went for ride down to Lawton, Oklahoma and decided that we wanted to visit the military museum and the grave of Geronimo at Fort Sill. The MP said that we couldn't enter the base dressed like we were. You have to be wearing long sleeves, helmet, eye protection, full fingered gloves, reflective vest, over the ankle foot wear, brightly colored shirt, etc., etc.

Don't bother visiting military bases on your bike. They'll turn you away unless you meet all their chicken chit requirements.
That's what I wear everyday when I go to work. Being retired USCG, it's just one of the many military rules you have to abide by. Go to Sears, get yourself one of those long sleeve bright orange reflective shirts that the road workers wear. I'm sure you have all the other gear.

Quick Reply: Turned Away By Army MP's