General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turned Away By Army MP's

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:53 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Out of complete boredom I just read the Ft Sill
USAFACFS Suppl 1 to AR 190-5, 28 June 2006
section D-7 covers motorcycles. On page 9 section D-7.d
shows two different requirements for Operators and passengers vs active duty personnel, they later include civilian personnel(employed) not just anyone, retires do not fall into this group. Just normal Operators and Passengers need helmets and eye protection (goggles) approved by the state.
Section E goes in to all of the requirements for military and civilian employees on and off post needing the required safety gear.
I am now curious and will call, the safety office, on Monday morning to see what the real answer is for civilians and retired people entering post on motorcycles.
I know one I time I was stopped and asked for my safety card, took ten minutes to prove I did not need it.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:20 AM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
Out of complete boredom I just read the Ft Sill
USAFACFS Suppl 1 to AR 190-5, 28 June 2006
section D-7 covers motorcycles. On page 9 section D-7.d
shows two different requirements for Operators and passengers vs active duty personnel, they later include civilian personnel(employed) not just anyone, retires do not fall into this group. Just normal Operators and Passengers need helmets and eye protection (goggles) approved by the state.
Section E goes in to all of the requirements for military and civilian employees on and off post needing the required safety gear.
I am now curious and will call, the safety office, on Monday morning to see what the real answer is for civilians and retired people entering post on motorcycles.
I know one I time I was stopped and asked for my safety card, took ten minutes to prove I did not need it.

Sounds like you were profiled. Why didn't you act like the nutty professor did? I recall you stating your full support of him.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:44 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo
Oh yeah... It is NEVER a waste of time to visit a base.

The men and women there would however probably appreciate it if you showed them the respect they have earned by not exercising your freedom to bitch about your apparent superiority on your way by ....
Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
BabBobOk, I am guessing you weren't in the military. It is a different world, and a good one for some people. I personally very glad they are there, doing there job, that's how we get to ride in freedom in the US.
Think about it. Of all the places we could have ridden to, we chose to ride to Fort Sill to see and learn about the military history of the only remaining military base from the time of the Indian wars. We were simply disappointed that we weren't allowed on base since we had been looking forward to seeing the museum and other historical sites there.

You might ask yourself why would we even want to go there? Last fall I picked up my nephew who was returning from his second tour in Iraq at the base. I took him and three of his buddies out to eat steak dinners who also just got back and then drove him home over in the eastern part of Oklahoma. While driving through the base, I saw the museum and wanted to return some day to visit it.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:47 AM
trippy57
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record, I only mentioned the positions that I held while in the army and after my retirement to indicate that I may know of what I speak. Those who interpreted it otherwise are mistaken. Just burns my butt anymore the number of posts I see where the world owes folks something........just a hint: You don't get nuttin' handed to you in life, ya gotta earn it!!!!! Nuff said.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:48 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 08-02-2009, 10:16 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by gburke70
Glad I left when I did. I left in JAN07 after a three year stint.

Has anyone heard the rumor about the military adding full face helmets as one of the PPE requirements?
my kid is married to a soldier and living at ft lewis, wa. the air force base right there, mcchord afb, requires full face helmets.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:25 AM
billiamharley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[/quote] Personnaly I think that bicycle riders on base should follow the same rules as the motorcycle riders. I don't understand why people in convertables don't wear helmets and protective eyewear.[/quote]

Let me help you with the obvious: Convertibles have a lot more protection than bikes. Things like a heavy duty windshield and seat belts among other things. The bicycles don't go fast enough to warrant the trouble.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:29 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Man I know you are attempting to get a rise out of me, it is a little childish to follow me around the board making childish comments. Either debate the topic of the thread or stay out of it. Either Way please grow up.

Originally Posted by confederate
Sounds like you were profiled. Why didn't you act like the nutty professor did? I recall you stating your full support of him.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:32 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

play nice gentlemen......
low blow confed and you know what happens in political, stays in political.
there's a thread about it in there I believe.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:33 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

been there too, our local hog chapter wanted to go to Aberdeen to see their armor collection.. same deal.. rode down to Annapolis instead. it's a shame but what can you do?

mavrick

Quick Reply: Turned Away By Army MP's