General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turned Away By Army MP's

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Hammer107
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I thought this was the United States of America. The military serves under government control. The government is supposed to be under the general citizens control. To do it the other way is a military government with a selected dictator as a figure head of state. Something that other countries have. I thought Senators appropriated money which is tax dollars to a military budget. Everybody works for somebody and the squeaky wheel does sometimes make a difference.It is not disrespectful to question policy. It is not whining to not like policy and to want it reviewed. With possible changes. Your attitude seems disrespectful of the general public who payed your salary and your retirement.
Well...if it cheers you up I am not military and I still think you're whacked.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:50 PM
foxtrot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oldairboater
The dress rules should apply only to the men and women serving.
You could be a threat to those people.
There used to be a sign when leaving Mil Bases saying your now entering one of the most dangerous place on earth, the civilian hiway.

I remember when I was a kid asking my dad why do Army trucks always have their lights on ? His reply was simple and to the point. "so they dont get hit by a stupid civilian"

Old 08-01-2009, 08:31 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Their only doing this to protect the lives of riders, I cant recll the numbers, but you would not believe the high number of m/c deaths vs combat deaths. And if your going to make the service members wear this stuff, you cant expect them to let visitor slide.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:11 PM
TheBigBear
Advanced

Hey Bob,just show them how bad you really are and ride on in anyhow...lol

Old 08-01-2009, 10:04 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldArmy
You don't have any standing to challenge anything. Commanders are trying to save lives and prevent serious injury to the soldiers under their control. They may not do it right but they are trying. Go ahead, call your congressman and tell him you want to lower the safety measures that are in place to save soldier's lives so you won't be inconvenienced and your "rights" won't be violated. Make reducing safety measures your cause.
hey oldairboater: and PLEASE let us know when you've succeeded with that..... ROFLMAO !!!!!!

when you wanna play in the General's yard, you gotta play by his rules... or go home.... BUT WHATEVER YOU DO - QUIT CRYING..... it's not becoming for a man to cry. someone may ask for your MAN CARD.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
The assless chaps are not required and the fingerless would not meet the glove requirement, so what is your point? I would like to add, whatever the images are you have in your mind of me wearing assless chaps, please keep them to yourself. I do not swing that way, try one of the liberals.
I believe it's an unwritten custom and a generally accepted fact that only USAF and select Navy personnel wear assless chaps...sometimes even when riding their motorcycles.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Dooderhead
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I sure do love it when threads degenerate from the original intent of the first poster. God Bless America!!

Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 PM
BlackDenimBob
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gburke70
I have only had my MC license for 25 years now and have been in the army for 20. Maybe you can explain the connection between wearing required safety gear to get on post and being a poser/RUB. I don't get it. But hey, as long as you think it was funny.

I was referring to CIVILIANS entering the base...you gotta do what you gotta do to enter...even if it means dressing like a POSER/Power Ranger...:>)...btw..thanks for your service...and I am serious about that....

Old 08-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackDenimBob
I was referring to CIVILIANS entering the base...you gotta do what you gotta do to enter...even if it means dressing like a POSER/Power Ranger...:>)...btw..thanks for your service...and I am serious about that....

Got it I agree with the Power Ranger part. The worst part is, the rules actually state a service member is supposed to dress like that wherever he rides. Most guys I know don't. But if a guy goes down, his buddies make sure all of the gear is on or around him when the authorities show up. If not the military can refuse to pay medical costs for injuries or even life insurance if he guy dies.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:10 AM
JDB
Cruiser

I think the military rules are just to discourage people from riding. The rider courses are great. Everyone learns from the training, I took the course at Clark AB many years ago.
Required wearing of helmets for military personnel is great. I think sturdy shoes are a good idea, I wear hiking shoes most of the time when riding, They probabley wouldn't make the grade. The long sleeve thing is stupid unless they are trying to protect you from sunburn. The bright outer garment or reflective vest is stupid, if they can't see the headlamp, tail lamp, brakes and turn signals they aren't going to see the yellow shirt. The long pants are good, cuts down on sunburn, some scraping on asphalt and they help with the gravel and other road debris that hits my legs when I ride with shorts.

Personnaly I think that bicycle riders on base should follow the same rules as the motorcycle riders. I don't understand why people in convertables don't wear helmets and protective eyewear.

Quick Reply: Turned Away By Army MP's