General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turned Away By Army MP's

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:15 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought this was the United States of America. The military serves under government control. The government is supposed to be under the general citizens control. To do it the other way is a military government with a selected dictator as a figure head of state. Something that other countries have. I thought Senators appropriated money which is tax dollars to a military budget. Everybody works for somebody and the squeaky wheel does sometimes make a difference.It is not disrespectful to question policy. It is not whining to not like policy and to want it reviewed. With possible changes. Your attitude seems disrespectful of the general public who payed your salary and your retirement.
Originally Posted by trippy57
O.K. Let me start by saying I am retired U.S. Army Military Police. Second, I worked recently for 5 years as one of the gate guards who treated all you whining nancy's soooo badly. Third, on a military installation, federal rules apply, not state. So, go whine about the guards cutting into your cool factor by making you wear PPE to your state senator, or even your congressman.......ain't gonna change a thing people. You may not now or ever have been in the military, but the rules are the militaries rules, and on the installations you are trying to enter, the rules are set by the Commanding General who must follow guidance that is issued waaaaay over him in the form of regulations and Department of Defense policies. I live near and work on Fort Leonard Wood in MO. Do I like wearing all that chit to work or just to drive though? Don't matter. If I want to go through the base I will or drive around it. Now, rant being completed, holster your egos, put on the gear and go see some of these historic military bases! All (or most) military installations have museams of some sort and they all have some fantastic things to see! Speakin' of RUBS.......whining about not being able to go into base because they don't respect you as a citizen not wearin' required gear..........get a life, and quit being whinin' wittle beotches!

Old 08-01-2009, 06:27 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

Oldair...absolutely correct thinking...everything belongs to us, they all work for us....

Go on over to Andrews AFB and make a run for Air Force One...they have free peanuts

Old 08-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I thought this was the United States of America. The military serves under government control. The government is supposed to be under the general citizens control. To do it the other way is a military government with a selected dictator as a figure head of state. Something that other countries have. I thought Senators appropriated money which is tax dollars to a military budget. Everybody works for somebody and the squeaky wheel does sometimes make a difference.It is not disrespectful to question policy. It is not whining to not like policy and to want it reviewed. With possible changes. Your attitude seems disrespectful of the general public who payed your salary and your retirement.
Your arguement doesn't hold water. Based on what you said, joe citizen should be able to tell a cop he doesn't have to follow rules. We are not a democracy, we are a republic: You pick who is in charge, then they get to pick the rules.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:43 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bob you should of said you were headed down this way, we could of had lunch or I could just loaned you the gear to get on post. I understand the frustration, daily I ride around town, If I need to run on post for something I have to go home suit up and then head in.
I am sure you saw on the news the other day about the soldier from Duncan who was killed in Afghanistan. One of the PGR bikes got held up at the gate for not having long sleeve shirts on. I thought it was an Irony, a patriot with flags hanging off his bike could not get on post to honor a man how gave his life for the flag that could not get on post.

Originally Posted by BadBobOk
I'm just not going to spend any money for additional gear and dress up like a clown in the heat of July just to visit their museum. There's plenty of other places to visit. I'm just giving people a heads up about wasting their time trying to visit military bases.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:46 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
Bob you should of said you were headed down this way, we could of had lunch or I could just loaned you the gear to get on post. I understand the frustration, daily I ride around town, If I need to run on post for something I have to go home suit up and then head in.
I am sure you saw on the news the other day about the soldier from Duncan who was killed in Afghanistan. One of the PGR bikes got held up at the gate for not having long sleeve shirts on. I thought it was an Irony, a patriot with flags hanging off his bike could not get on post to honor a man how gave his life for the flag that could not get on post.

tlb, something tells me that BadBob don't wear assless chaps or fingerless gloves.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Dooderhead
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dayum Trippy, you NAILED that!! Former MP here and while they didn't have those rules in the 70s - early 90s, I gotta support em for that. Lots of soldiers are riding now, and the whole point of the gear rule is to protect them in the event they go down. NOT a case of 'The Man' trying to control them or the civilians who come on base.

O.K. Let me start by saying I am retired U.S. Army Military Police. Second, I worked recently for 5 years as one of the gate guards who treated all you whining nancy's soooo badly. Third, on a military installation, federal rules apply, not state. So, go whine about the guards cutting into your cool factor by making you wear PPE to your state senator, or even your congressman.......ain't gonna change a thing people. You may not now or ever have been in the military, but the rules are the militaries rules, and on the installations you are trying to enter, the rules are set by the Commanding General who must follow guidance that is issued waaaaay over him in the form of regulations and Department of Defense policies. I live near and work on Fort Leonard Wood in MO. Do I like wearing all that chit to work or just to drive though? Don't matter. If I want to go through the base I will or drive around it. Now, rant being completed, holster your egos, put on the gear and go see some of these historic military bases! All (or most) military installations have museams of some sort and they all have some fantastic things to see! Speakin' of RUBS.......whining about not being able to go into base because they don't respect you as a citizen not wearin' required gear..........get a life, and quit being whinin' wittle beotches!

Old 08-01-2009, 07:17 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

The assless chaps are not required and the fingerless would not meet the glove requirement, so what is your point? I would like to add, whatever the images are you have in your mind of me wearing assless chaps, please keep them to yourself. I do not swing that way, try one of the liberals.
Originally Posted by confederate
tlb, something tells me that BadBob don't wear assless chaps or fingerless gloves.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 PM
ncsportsman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife and I rode to visit son-in law and daughter at Camp Lejuene one Sat. We both had long sleeve shirts with black vest ,boots and gloves,sunglasses with blue jeans. Had been told we needed all proper riding gear including reflective gear,passed numerous MP's and no issues again. Could be different next day, who knows. We'll see next weekend.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:28 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

You know you are not in the army anymore don't you? I was in 20 years plus many others on here were too. Relax that kind of attitude will cause high blood pressure. Most people outside of the military do not care about commanding generals or regulations. Most riders do not wear all the safety equipment, even if they are in the Army, off post. Why would a civilian wanting to visit a museum or grave even know the rules were different than the state.
I know you do not like being called a rub or knowing people are looking at you as one for wearing the equipment. I think to many people on here, are way to concerned with what other riders are wearing, anyway.
Regardless, relax, it is okay, nobody really cares about you being a former MP or a gate guard anyway. They care you served your country is all.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:40 PM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have any standing to challenge anything. Commanders are trying to save lives and prevent serious injury to the soldiers under their control. They may not do it right but they are trying. Go ahead, call your congressman and tell him you want to lower the safety measures that are in place to save soldier's lives so you won't be inconvenienced and your "rights" won't be violated. Make reducing safety measures your cause.

Originally Posted by oldairboater

Quick Reply: Turned Away By Army MP's