General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turned Away By Army MP's

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Nevar
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm siding with BB on this one
As long as you/he does the speed limit and acts like an adult what the hell is the Diff. what he wears. Or is it that they do no trust there own base personal to drive in a responcible manner.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:45 PM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A very large group of us were on a charity run and rode through the West Point military grounds. Only thing we needed was a visible neck tag with photo i.d. which wasn't bad at all. Obviously, rules and events vary.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:19 PM
yep
Account Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NAS JAX says you must where long sleeve shirt and long pants with boots or shoes that cover your ankles ... as well as DOT helmet and reflective vest ... also you must have full finger gloves..... kinda crazy to wear all that in florida heat ... you save a few rides from road rash and the rest die from heat exhaustion ...

Old 08-01-2009, 04:24 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I carry a traffic safety vest in my saddle bags when I'm traveling just for that purpose. Am wearing all the other gear to begin with.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Lucky Scott
Cruiser

Wow, all that stuff is in the bags on my Road King.
I feel that the military has earned the right to have our respect, and I will follow their rules to show my respect. Already wearing the boots, gloves, and long pants. Carry a vest just in case, and her in california gotta have the helmet anyway.

If thats what the rules are, then so be it!

Old 08-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This shows how much times have changed in the last quarter century. In 1985 I cycled to Ft. Sill to run in the Ft. Still Marathon. There were no guards at the entry to the base and no one questioned my attire. I'm sure I did not have on a reflective vest. Doubt I had on long sleeves or gloves. I had brought a pup tent, but didn't need it. They invited me to sleep on a cot in a tent they had set up for a detail of men near the starting line. (Not sure why they thought they needed a detail to guard the starting line.) Very nice experience overall.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:12 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I was last on Fort Hood in August of '96. No problrm at all back then. Now though, I wouldn't even try to get on Base. Way too much trouble for me, especially since I have no business on there. Times have surely changed.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Sgt Mac
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlackDenimBob
They should put up a BIG sign at the gate that reads 'POSERS/RUBs ONLY!!!

I must be a poser then, because there's no ****ing way I'm a RUB on my E6 pay.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackDenimBob
They should put up a BIG sign at the gate that reads 'POSERS/RUBs ONLY!!!

I have only had my MC license for 25 years now and have been in the army for 20. Maybe you can explain the connection between wearing required safety gear to get on post and being a poser/RUB. I don't get it. But hey, as long as you think it was funny.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:32 PM
trippy57
Cruiser

O.K. Let me start by saying I am retired U.S. Army Military Police. Second, I worked recently for 5 years as one of the gate guards who treated all you whining nancy's soooo badly. Third, on a military installation, federal rules apply, not state. So, go whine about the guards cutting into your cool factor by making you wear PPE to your state senator, or even your congressman.......ain't gonna change a thing people. You may not now or ever have been in the military, but the rules are the militaries rules, and on the installations you are trying to enter, the rules are set by the Commanding General who must follow guidance that is issued waaaaay over him in the form of regulations and Department of Defense policies. I live near and work on Fort Leonard Wood in MO. Do I like wearing all that chit to work or just to drive though? Don't matter. If I want to go through the base I will or drive around it. Now, rant being completed, holster your egos, put on the gear and go see some of these historic military bases! All (or most) military installations have museams of some sort and they all have some fantastic things to see! Speakin' of RUBS.......whining about not being able to go into base because they don't respect you as a citizen not wearin' required gear..........get a life, and quit being whinin' wittle beotches!

Quick Reply: Turned Away By Army MP's